EWB's Top 27 Movies of 2015

GoGo Yubari

I think Mad Max was grossly overrated (as in, it was good - but was not the mind-blowingly revolutionarily amazing as certain critics made out). I wouldn't be fussed about watching it again soon.

Inside Out is the best of the top 3, though Star Wars was ace.

I didn't love Mad Max like everyone else, but it was hard not to get lost in such a wonderful, visual world in a structure which was absolutely relentless. It's a huge deal that the film's done so well, both critically and commercially, because it feels independent and is a rare action film to put women at the forefront. 

And to weigh in a little more on a few of this list, I personally loved the second Avengers because of the context I saw it in; watching the UK premiere with about 600 other people who desperately wanted to be there -- it created such a perfect atmosphere it was hard not to love every single moment. I saw the Hateful Eight in the same cinema, presented in 70mm with the intermission and stuff, which was again made the film a great experience, it's just a bit of a shame how overlong it is, and how Tarantino seems to overdo his gimmick and seemingly uses violence without any kind of real meaning. 

I thought the Martian was surprisingly very good, Star Wars did a good job without doing anything incredible and Inside Out was bloody lovely. 

Mad Max also works well from a blockbuster perspective as it's so nice seeing real things happening on-screen instead of a CGI fuckshow.

Plus, you watch the awards acceptance speeches from a couple of months ago and you realise Fury Road was a labour of passion for most if not all involved. In a time where casts and crews so interchangable that you can get in a new director with little notice to helm a meaningless $130 million superhero film, true artistic vision is what you want to hear.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

Well I've never seen any other Mission Impossible movie and if you're telling me this is one of them, then this is the first I've heard of them releasing one last year.

Out of the four movies on this list I did see, Mad Max was definitely the awesome.  Star Wars was less so, although I saw some of it again on a plane recently and it held up well at least.

Oh man you should watch them sometime.  There's only like one that I'd even consider bad, and even then its an entertainingly bad John Woo movie.  The other range from watchable, to really fun.  Rogue Nation was great. 

I liked all of those movies. Mad Max was definitely my favorite, just balls to the wall from the very beginning. So fun.

On 4/9/2016 at 18:59, Cloudy said:

I still need to see Ant-Man. I started to watch it while voting for this was going on, but never finished it. I can barely even say I started it since I got like four minutes in before I got pulled away and just.. never resumed watching. 

Literally the only part of Ant Man you need to see is the after credits scene...and Ant Man isn't even in that

I much preferred Yellowjacket to Ultron or any of the "I am a dour alien" villains (or, well, Malekith and Ronan). Not that that's a high bar. The Marvel movie villains really do need sprucing up, and I'm getting Baron Von Strucker "this guy doesn't actually matter to the plot" vibes off of Baron Zemo in Civil War too.

• Like 1

Though I will say that that movie did feature my actual favorite Marvel movie villain since Loki, it's just that he was only in one scene and we probably won't see him again until 2018.

3 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Though I will say that that movie did feature my actual favorite Marvel movie villain since Loki, it's just that he was only in one scene and we probably won't see him again until 2018.

Klaw, right?