Copa América Centenario

Lineker

genuinely think it's silly to be disappointed. The vast majority of the players on the Argentina squad would walk into MLS and suddenly be the best player in the league. It wasn't a triumph, it wasn't a catastrophe. With Wood, Jones, and Bedoya on the pitch my expectations would have been a little higher.

Messi's luscious beard has clearly enhanced his free kick taking ability.

Holy fuck what a strike! I know it was only Guzan but to get it in keeper's side from that far out is ridiculous.

The disappointment for me is not in the result (lack of) but with just how shit the effort was.  Yes, the missing trio was all but a death knell for us but holy shit ... they could have bothered to show up (sans Brooks who will have a pretty damn good effort lost in this although it was his worst match by far) at least. 

Holy shit that free kick though.  Guzan got it right and reacted as well as you could have but Messi put that ball into the single foot of space that was there.  Simply amazing.

We need to unleash and just go all out in the 3rd place match though ... we either get a redemption shot against Colombia (which I really feel we can beat) or we get to show up Mexico in a math against Chile (who'll likely be devastated not to be defending their Copa title).

49 minutes ago, HailtotheTortureRack said:

The disappointment for me is not in the result (lack of) but with just how shit the effort was.  Yes, the missing trio was all but a death knell for us but holy shit ... they could have bothered to show up (sans Brooks who will have a pretty damn good effort lost in this although it was his worst match by far) at least. 

This. I'm not terribly disappointed in the result (but 4-0 sucks no matter who it's against), I'm disappointed in the performance. By the squad and Klinnsman. The players were pretty awful, and Klinnsman set us up for failure by having no one up top who could make runs over the top for a counter and/or pressure the back line. Wondo/Dempsey don't have the legs for that. Would've made a difference in the result? Surely not, but I do think our performance would've been better for it.

Exactly .... Argentina's back line has fits with speed ... so you put Zardes out on the right and have him tracking BACK to cover RB?  Nagbe doesn't come on until it doesn't matter?  WONDOFUCKINGSLOWSKI is starting up to?  Johnson is LB?  I know Castillo is potential liability but shit, put him there and move Johnson up the freaking pitch.

Dempsey up top is ok if you've got someone with him that isn't SLOWER THAN HE IS .... Jeeeeebuuusss

Hell, why not put Besler LB, Castillo RB, have Zardes up top with Dempsey,  have Johnson/Yedlin on the wings, and but Nagbe/Bradley in the mid?  ARGENTINA PLAYS SHIT WITH SPEED AND YOU HAVE IT SO WHY THE FUCK DIDN"T YOU USE IT ASSHOLE??????!!!!!!

:angry:

I kept saying (to myself, cuz I was watching alone :/) last night that I haaaaaaaaaated the way we were using Zardes. 

Also, this has to be the last time Wondo suits up for USA, right? He brings absolutely nothing to the table. Bring in another teenager or something. There's no reason he needs to even be on the bench from now on, let alone on the pitch.

you know who would have been better in that spot last night and provides the SPEED ELEMENT we should have exploited?

usatsi_8521473_168381069_lowres.jpg

I love Wondo but the guy has absolutely no business in the USMNT shirt anymore and even less business starting last night.  Fuck, I'd have taken Agudelo over Wondo last night.