2016 College Football Thread

Maxx

He's the anti-Briles, both on and off the field. Rhule seems to have his morals in check. I've heard nothing but incredibly positive things from those who cover the team and those on it. And on the field, he stresses defense and time of possession. If they don't expect him to win the Big-12 in the first year or two, he could be a huge success there.

Also in verysad news, one of the best running backs I can remember from my childhood, Rashaan Salaam has died at the age of 42 from an apparent suicide. :( 

10 hours ago, damshow said:

He's a great coach walking into, what I think, is a no-win situation. He might be like Bill O'Brien was at PSU.

I'm shocked he wasn't gone after the season Temple had last year.

Who did surprisingly well in that one season.  I'm a PSU fan, and while I loved what O'Brien did while there, I wasn't surprised at all when he left, and didn't fault him for it. 

Also, while I do cheer for PSU, more for family connections then my own connection to the college, I had always picked Temple in my NCAA games on various systems.  I like to see Temple succeed.  I think Rhule will be a very good coach for Baylor, but I'm eager to see who Temple hires to replace him

Salaam :( 

11 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Jalen Hurd may try to go pro, rather than going to another school.

Yeah, good luck with that. Being a quitter is going to cast a long shadow. 

It's ok, ya'll just landed Trey Smith (no 1 recruit in ESPN top 300) so concentrate on the good news!

Yes, but the Vols also lost three commitments, including two DL that they really needed, and they still need to land a QB. 

I honestly couldn't care less about losing Hurd. He showed that he's a quitter, and that's something NFL teams will look at. 

49 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Because ESPN squirts their little trousers for anything Harbaugh and BY THE WAY DID THEY MENTION HE PLAYS OFFENSE, DEFENSE, AND SPECIAL TEAMS OMG 

Jabrill played high school ball in my hometown and honestly I really don't like him. There are stories about him around here, he's gonna have off the field issues in the league. Now not saying he is a great player, he is talented...but i think hes only in the heisman convo cause people really want him to be charles woodson so badly

He's in the conversation because he's the best athlete in college football.  He's the BIG10 Special Teams, Linebacker, and Defensive Player of the year.  He also won the Paul Hornung Award (most versatile player). 

Also, this is the most shit year for standout players I can remember in a loooooooooooong time.

• Like 1

Just because someone wins the Heisman, it doesn't mean they deserve it. And just because someone is great in college, it doesn't mean they'll do well in the pros. Look at how many Heisman winners have been mediocre or flat out busts after going pro.

I won't even watch anything college football related on ESPN right now, because like its already been said, they've got a hard on for Peppers when it comes to who should get the award.  Do I think he deserves to be in the running? Yes. Do I think he deserves it? Maybe. But he shouldn't be a runaway, stone cold lead pipe lock. (Yes, I watch Mike & Mike sometimes.)

(I'll argue to my dying day that Charles Woodson has Peyton Manning's Heisman. It was all but said that Woodson only got it because Peyton never beat Florida and it was given to Woodson based off one televised game, not the entire season.)

Not enough defensive players get to win the Heisman. This is a year where nobody broke away from the pack, the first time since 2011 I can remember there not being a certainty who would win. That year it went to RG3 because he did incredible things. I think for that reason it goes to Lamar Jackson this year. He calmed down a bit over the end of the season but it's also important to note by calmed down he still had stupid good stats.

Art Briles is suing 3 Baylor regents and the school's VP, alleging libel and that they've conspired to keep him from getting another coaching job. Fuck Art Briles.

• Like 3

Gotta disagree on the '97 Heisman.  I mean you could argue Peyton wasn't the best QB in '97.  You could also argue that most people thought he should win it for his career and not just for the 97 season.  You talk about the one game ... but in honesty when you're talking about Heisman players it often is about the collective PLUS did they do it in the "big one" for their team?  Woodson did (and displayed ALL of the aspects that won him the award) and Manning didn't. 

I mean Tee Freaking Martin took the exact same team the next year and did it all .... just saying. 

• Like 1

Charlie Strong having preliminary talks to take over at USF. I think he could be crazy successful there. His Florida ties, the talent in the state, the conference, the fact that Taggart has already built a winning culture, it all could equal a huge run for him there. I can't really imagine a more ideal situation for him to walk in to.

Houston promotes Major Applewhite to HC ... good for him, he deserves a shot.

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

Charlie Strong having preliminary talks to take over at USF. I think he could be crazy successful there. His Florida ties, the talent in the state, the conference, the fact that Taggart has already built a winning culture, it all could equal a huge run for him there. I can't really imagine a more ideal situation for him to walk in to.

It's set up for him just like Louisville was that's for sure.

In D3 news ... Mary Hardin Baylor (from my old conference, the ASC) hosts Mount Union in one of the semis ... their previous two meetings have seen one of them down by 14 pts or more going into the 4th, and then winning.  It's on ESPN3 at 4:30