FiFa 17

METALMAN

Hands on with FIFA 17's career mode;

http://news.futhead.com/posts/fifa-17/34381-fifa-17-career-mode-preview

Some good stuff, some not so good stuff, and some downright awful stuff.

I like the idea of having more objectives in more than one area, like needing to bring youth through and handling finances well, but there's still a load of things which bring the mode down.

Take the 11 preset managers for example. If I'm a United fan, and Mourinho is in the game, why can't he be the manager when I start a Manager Mode game? Why can't I "be" him? Also, you can only choose from the aforementioned 11 presets with no customisation options so if none of them look remotely like you, tough shit.

Then there's the scheduling which STILL hasn't been fixed, and the fact that you still get spam messages about taking over an international job despite it being your first year in management. Those emails annoyed me on 16 and according to that article, they're somehow even worse on 17. And nope, you can't switch it off.

I know a big focus is put on online modes nowadays but it's annoying that they go to the trouble of adding stuff to career without fixing existing issues that have been there for years.

12 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Those 11 preset managers are actually less options than you have currently, if you can't edit them to the extent you can at the moment, with build type, skin tone and clothing all adding up to at least 20 or more.

The only thing you can change on the managers this time is whether they wear a suit or tracksuit. 

That article also states that the manager reputation is a bit off. It went up for buying Pogba, down for selling Blind and then didn't budge when he won the league.  

I think I noticed my pre-made manager all of twice in Fifa 16 after starting my career mode. I agree it's a bit daft you can't just 'be' the current manager but it's not a big deal. The scheduling however...

EDIT: Having read it all now, I'm not best pleased. I don't play online, so it's mainly Career Mode for me unless I have mates round, and it just sounds like they aren't putting the effort into it, as always. A lack of overall game transfers really annoyed me last year, playing in the third year against loads of teams with practically the same squad they had in real life really took away from it, and winning the league but barely keeping your job? What's the point?

10 minutes ago, Adam said:

I think I noticed my pre-made manager all of twice in Fifa 16 after starting my career mode. I agree it's a bit daft you can't just 'be' the current manager but it's not a big deal. The scheduling however...

EDIT: Having read it all now, I'm not best pleased. I don't play online, so it's mainly Career Mode for me unless I have mates round, and it just sounds like they aren't putting the effort into it, as always. A lack of overall game transfers really annoyed me last year, playing in the third year against loads of teams with practically the same squad they had in real life really took away from it, and winning the league but barely keeping your job? What's the point?

I simmed like ten years as a lower league team once to see how much would change. In that time, Liverpool signed one player (Kroos), didn't sell anybody (just let everyone retire), and replaced the outgoings with youth academy players. It's very silly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Baddar said:

The problem with the marks out of 10 system on fifa is that it's always been shit. 

Honestly, I hadn't played a FIFA regularly in nearly two decades prior to 16, and that really irked me at first. You can be a defender and have a mare of a defensive game, be out of position, fudge tackles, make poor passes, but so long as you score a goal you're basically guaranteed 7.0 or higher, but play in position all match, time tackles and interceptions well and make decent passes and you're extremely lucky to break 6.5. It's awful and really demotivating to a new player.

I know I'm not going to be a star player or anything, but give me a some damned encouragement.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Adam said:

The difference with managers this time is that you're going to see them properly in cut scenes etc., hence the reason they have PL managers in the game this time. It just sucks that we'll be forced to choose one of those shit presets.

I can't believe they are actually making improvements for Pro Clubs. I mean considering its the best game mode they've done fuck all with it the past few years because it's not Ultimate Team. 

3 hours ago, Benji said:

Pro Clubs is basically the only thing I played. I tried UT and single player stuff and they sucked out loud.

I do hope you can have more than one pro club though. I hate having to wait until @leethalh or @Stevie B are online for @9 to 5 to be willing to play because he's afraid of losing the Viking's divisional status :P

You will weep when you see what that trio did on Fifa last night....

2 hours ago, Troy Saint said:

I'm hopefully going to acquire a better mic and play more Pro Clubs this time around. I think I played a total of about 6 games. >_>

You are a dirty Xbone aren't you?