EWB Film Club

Jimmy

15 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I've made my decision, I think. Probably tonight or tomorrow I'm gonna get into the Worst Election Ever spirit by watching The Manchurian Candidate.

The original or the remake? Because not often are the remakes as good but Denzel, Liev Schreiber and Streep are great in the remake. Denzel is one of the actors who no matter what film they are in, they are always the best thing about it. Like Forrest Whittaker. 

9 minutes ago, The Canadian Destroyer said:

It's the trailer. 

Yeah, was also thinking about watching 12 Angry Men. 

Yes, yes you should. Even Quincy M.E. is in it!

9 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

The original! I'll save the remake for the Election 2020 edition of EWB Film Club :shifty:

"EWB Film Club 12: We'll make it past week 4 this time, honest."

• Like 4

I'm either going to go for The Apartment or To Kill a Mockingbird I think. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fly the W! said:

I am having a hard time with this. It's not easy for me to feel the drama of a scene when no one is talking. It's like I am watching this amazing Sci-Fi movie but it's being performed by mimes

*stares intensely*

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

Guys, help me pick:

Judgement at Nuremberg

The Battle at Algiers

The Wild Bunch

The Dirty Dozen

Oh man, just to make it tricky, I'd pick The Wild Bunch, one of the most effortlessly brilliant, brutal and outright cool films I've ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, Fly the W! said:

I am having a hard time with this. It's not easy for me to feel the drama of a scene when no one is talking. It's like I am watching this amazing Sci-Fi movie but it's being performed by mimes

Yeah, I can totally get how silent film isn't for everyone, or how it lacks that kind of immediate drama. I remember being completely invested in the scope of Metropolis and the drama that come from the visual contrasts and just how immersive the whole world is it. 

29 minutes ago, Fly the W! said:

It's just so weird to see their mouths moving super fast with no words actually coming out. They don't even tell you what's being said half the time

I think the idea is that it forces you somewhat to read between the lines. Like all narratives across all media, we only get to truly see part of the story.

20 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I was strongly considering Once Upon a Time in the West but I think it's gonna be too long. I'm seeing Dr. Strange and Hacksaw Ridge this week so I'm gonna want something shorter.

It's too bad My Name Is Nobody falls 3 years outside of the criteria, it's only 116 minutes.

A Fistful of Dollars is only 99 though.. I think I may go with that.