EWB Film Club

Jimmy

I was strongly considering Once Upon a Time in the West but I think it's gonna be too long. I'm seeing Dr. Strange and Hacksaw Ridge this week so I'm gonna want something shorter.

• Like 1

According to wikipedia, the runtime for Metropolis varies depending on which release you're watching:

153 minutes
(1927 premiere, lost)
118 minutes
(2002 restoration)
148 minutes
(2010 restoration)

Also, I already completed this assignment and may get around to watching another. Hulu has a great selection of stuff pre-70's, including some Bond films. I went super-pre-70's with The Gold Rush (1927) but unwittingly chose the 1942 re-release with Chaplin narrating, as talkies were now in vogue. Hulu had the original, but oh well.

It was awesome and really hit a lot of different emotions that I didn't expect. I expected it to be just Chaplin bumping his head on things, and falling off of high places for 95 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I was totally up for that, because he does it better than anyone, but it really had some scary and some sad moments too. And lots of animals. I also grew a crush for Georgia Hale, the leading actress, who replaced Chaplin's own pregnant wife in the role.

• Like 1

Oh man oh man oh man so by "I might have more time this week" I actually meant "I'm going on vacation this week" so I'm not going to have time so I watched it now.  Holy shit that is one hell of a movie.  Such suburb acting that I was drawn in from the very beginning, and I'm usually the type of person who can't pay attention to movies for very long.  But that deserved it.  None of y'all are topping that one for this week.

• Like 2

I deliberately tried to keep it open (for film availability), but also give people an option to expand their horizon. :)