Summer Transfer Window 2017

Lineker

• Admin
5 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

@Lineker are we making any money off this? :shifty: 

No idea. Probably somewhere. 

Anyway - the Premier League and its members are discussing closing future summer transfer windows before the beginning of the season. 

Premier League clubs to discuss shorter transfer window for the summer - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/14/premier-league-shorter-transfer-window-meeting-7-september

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Anyway - the Premier League and its members are discussing closing future summer transfer windows before the beginning of the season. 

They are? That'd be a terrific move. Can they do that on their own, I always thought it was decided between all of UEFA? 

If that's the case though and other countries don't change, it's only a half-measure really isn't it? For instance, this Coutinho saga would be allowed to happen even if the English window was shut as Barca would still be able to buy him until the end of August.

23 minutes ago, Lineker said:

One could argue that Liverpool would not sell in that hypothetical scenario as they wouldn't be able to bring in any replacement. 

I get that, but imagine that they say that and Coutinho still demands to leave, that could always happen, especially as the Neymar transfer that has triggered Barca making their new bid could still happen after the English window has closed. I feel the Premier League might do itself out of leverage for its clubs in the international transfer market by doing this. 

Again, I'm all for it but it only truly works if all the major leagues implement it I reckon. 

I think you'd soon be able to drive it into the mindset of the players (and the European clubs) that English clubs won't sell after the window shuts. It's not as if anyone tries to force a move in October at the moment, players and agents might be dickheads but they do tend to do it at the right times. The quandary Liverpool are in now is do they take the money quicker to try and spend by the end of the window or do they hang on for as much as possible, if they can't sign a replacement that decision becomes a lot easier. The player might decide to down tools until Christmas but I can't imagine that happening with anything but the most unprofessional, the likes of Suarez, Mahrez and Cabaye all got back to work after moves were delayed. 

9 hours ago, Lineker said:

Premier League clubs to discuss shorter transfer window for the summer - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/14/premier-league-shorter-transfer-window-meeting-7-september

Good. Can they add in a manager window too?

10 hours ago, stokeriño said:

I honestly think the Chelsea board would suffer mental shutdowns if they had to contend with a manager window.

They could just sack three managers in one window, Jan 1st, Jan 15th and Jan 31st.

3 hours ago, Dwight K. Schrute said:

I wonder if that was true of Bolton back when Big Sam signed Campo, Hierra and Anelka etc? 

Anelka was post-Hierro but they had another former Real Madrid defender in Julio Cesar at the same time as Campo and Hierro. Between them they had 6 Champions League trophies. The 2004-05 Manchester United side had 7 players from the Champions League winning season (both Nevilles, Wes Brown, Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane, Scholes, and Ole Solskjaer).

Edit: Nicky Butt was at United during this period but left in July 2004, around the same time Hierro and Julio Cesar joined Bolton.

• Like 1

This talk of Champions League winners prompted me to check how many are in Chelsea's current squad... We're down to four. Makes me remember how long ago Munich was. :( 

(And one of those four is Morata, who's barely just arrived.)