Summer Transfer Window 2017

Lineker

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Nerf based his opinion and statement on available information, that appears to have or have not changed depending on whether the rumour of handing in his transfer request is true. I suggest, Lets not get snide with each other. Except about @MDK and orient's non league status 

The league cant handle us! Sollihull Moors certainly couldn't. 

• Like 1

I hate the phrase, but when it comes to these sagas it is often a case of "no smoke without fire".

If he hasn't handed in a transfer request, where have Sky got this info from? I'm starting to really think he will go before the end of the window.

Just now, Dwight K. Schrute said:

If he hasn't handed in a transfer request, where have Sky got this info from?

"Sky sources"

AKA wanting to cash in on the few mugs left that'd actively put money on him moving, despite it become increasingly clear the club won't entertain it.

3 minutes ago, Nerf said:

"Sky sources"

AKA wanting to cash in on the few mugs left that'd actively put money on him moving, despite it become increasingly clear the club won't entertain it.

I figure it's probably this. Sky want to drive people from their coverage on SSN to betting on Sky Bet, who'll then bet because they've got 'insider knowledge' or whatever.

Just now, Jericode said:

Who are James Pearce and Melissa Reddy?

I honestly don't know, someone explain. 

Liverpool FC friendly journos.

3 minutes ago, Nerf said:

"Sky sources"

Didn't you literally "report" that the Keita move might be back on by linking to a Daily Star article which literally consisted of "betting odds have dropped on Keita so the deal's not dead"?

I don't disagree with you on your point about Sky Sources though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cymbols said:

Didn't you literally "report" that the Keita move might be back on by linking to a Daily Star article which literally consisted of "betting odds have dropped on Keita so the deal's not dead"?

No, that's just what a few people on here summarised my post as so that I'd look silly. I based that post on the word of the same source that broke the news that Van Dijk chose Liverpool over City and Chelsea before the journos picked up on it that said Keita's agent was looking at houses in Liverpool, coupled with the player himself following a barbershop in Liverpool on Instagram around the same time. Acknowledged at the time there could be nothing in it, but found it interesting.

Assuming the request isn't true rather than FSG trying to keep it under wraps, how much do you think Barcelona would have to splash out to get Liverpool to consider it. As much as they may not want to sell and Coutinho might have too much respect for Klopp/Liverpool to try and force a move, everyone has a price. Would they turn down £120m? £150m?

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Assuming the request isn't true rather than FSG trying to keep it under wraps, how much do you think Barcelona would have to splash out to get Liverpool to consider it. As much as they may not want to sell and Coutinho might have too much respect for Klopp/Liverpool to try and force a move, everyone has a price. Would they turn down £120m? £150m?

Who's to say what anyone is worth in this summer transfer market? I'm the past it has been easy to point at other transfers and get a reasonable range of estimate... now I'm not sure if Coutinho is worth £50m or £200m but it's likely somewhere in between in that vast £150m range

Just now, Matt said:

In all honesty, I don't think they can sell him this window at any price. For starters, it hangs Klopp out to dry. Then you have to consider how ridiculous it'd look if we missed out on Keita and Van Dijk because their clubs took a hardline stance but then rolled over the second Barcelona came calling. I have no doubt that Coutinho wants the move to happen (who wouldn't?) but I can see a situation similar to Suarez where we agree to let him move in a year instead. It'd be a PR shambles if they let him go now, and historically (at least with the Red Sox) FSG are ruthless when it comes to trying to protect their image.

The other problem for Barca is that everyone in the footballing world now knows they're sitting on 200m-odd from the Neymar sale, so anyone they try and buy is going to have an inflated price. If they're supposedly paying 120m to prise Dembele from Dortmund then I can't see them paying that again on Coutinho this window.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nerf said:

In all honesty, I don't think they can sell him this window at any price. For starters, it hangs Klopp out to dry. Then you have to consider how ridiculous it'd look if we missed out on Keita and Van Dijk because their clubs took a hardline stance but then rolled over the second Barcelona came calling. I have no doubt that Coutinho wants the move to happen (who wouldn't?) but I can see a situation similar to Suarez where we agree to let him move in a year instead. It'd be a PR shambles if they let him go now, and historically (at least with the Red Sox) FSG are ruthless when it comes to trying to protect their image.

It's not taking a hardline and rolling over though, Liverpool have not signed Keita and Van Dijk because they haven't met the selling clubs' valuations. If Liverpool value Coutinho at say £120m and Barcelona make a bid and they accept all Barcelona are doing is what Liverpool didn't do and that is capitulate to the selling club's demands.

Just now, Jericode said:

The other problem for Barca is that everyone in the footballing world now knows they're sitting on 200m-odd from the Neymar sale, so anyone they try and buy is going to have an inflated price. If they're supposedly paying 120m to prise Dembele from Dortmund then I can't see them paying that again on Coutinho this window.

I read something somewhere which stated they don't have the cash to spend on both Coutinho and Dembele this summer so it's an either/or situation. Which if true, means that maybe Barcelona will go all out for Demebele now and for Coutinho next year.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's not taking a hardline and rolling over though, Liverpool have not signed Keita and Van Dijk because they haven't met the selling clubs' valuations. If Liverpool value Coutinho at say £120m and Barcelona make a bid and they accept all Barcelona are doing is what Liverpool didn't do and that is capitulate to the selling club's demands.

Eh, we bid £66m for Keita and were allegedly prepared to go as high as £75m but Leipzig were insistent there wasn't a price they'd be willing to sell for. Van Dijk is different obviously because no bid was actually submitted, but that saga is far from over so I guess we'll see what their breaking point is.

4 minutes ago, Liam said:

Would it be a PR meltdown though? They wouldn't be the first team to eventually give in when the 'right' price is tabled.

What good is, say, £150m when you can't find a suitable replacement? Financially, it's worth more to keep him and likely finish in a higher position for more TV money if you can't get someone in that's going to adequately replace his output.

6 minutes ago, Nerf said:

There has to be a point, surely? If the money offered was enough to give you the extra money needed to get Keita and VVD plus say £80 to spend on a replacement (steal Sigurdson from under Everton's nose maybe) then I can't see that as losing face. It would be simply having too good of an offer to refuse.

It's probably a moot point because I think whatever that price is will be higher than Barcelona are willing to pay for him.