2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

He's a reliever so hopefully not.

Diaz is the centerpiece for sure, and I like getting him. Dean Kremer could turn into something. And Pop's had a good minor league season. I think overall it's not the ideal haul for a guy like Machado but it's the best the O's could get for him in a walk year. Should have traded him during the winter.

Yeah, all we heard over the last few weeks was that the O's were holding out for a top pitching prospect and they definitely didn't get it in that deal. Diaz is the main piece, and he's likely going to be a good one, but still nowhere near the package I expected them to get for Manny. So glad the Yanks didn't offer up Sheffield as that clearly would've been an overpay judging by what they did end up getting. 

Now more than ever, teams are simply unwilling to part with elite level prospects and six/six and a half years of cost-controlled production for a for two/three month rentals.  In recent memory Gleyber was the one real exception and even that probably wouldn't have happened had the Cubs A) not already had Russell and Baez presumably locked into the middle infield for the long haul and B) a century long drought.

True but Quintana also wasn’t a rental.  I think teams are more amenable to parting with stud prospects if they’re getting a player with under control.

All the more reason that the Mets have no excuse to not move deGrom if they’re not willing to lock him down for his career..

Oh yeah, if it's not a rental teams will obviously want to part with more. Torres really is the lone exception there, but the Cubs were right that they needed someone like Chapman to make that run. Even if he almost blew it for them in the end.

Mets 100% have to move deGrom. The ransom they could get for him. I would assume Yanks will part with Sheffield if they know they're getting deGrom in return. I haven't seen it talked about, but with Oakland suddenly in contention and buyer's mode there's a really good package they could put together for deGrom. And it's in the division, but Atlanta has a ton of top pitching prospects the Mets could probably pry away. As a fan it's easy to look at the Mets and go "okay, so 2020 is the deadline for competing with deGrom are we gonna be there? No." But their ownership and front office appears unable to accept that fact. I spent over a year yelling that the Orioles window had closed and just last night they finally started making moves, and getting the diminishing returns that come with rentals instead of a year+ of control.

• Like 1

Indians get:
LHP Brad Hand
RHP Adam Cimber

Padres get:
C Francisco Mejia

Mejia is the #15 prospect in all of baseball, but it's not a rental for Cleveland.  Hand is signed for two more years with a 2021 option and gives them protection with Andrew Miller and Cody Allen impending free agents.

Rangers have two games this weekend, it’s gonna be 109 degrees out.  On Sunday first pitch is at 2:05, temperature on the field could be 115.

moleman.gif?mtime=20160907122600

I think the O's front office has to be giddy Familia went to someone they weren't talk with about Britton. Hopefully the price is an overpay so we can fleece a team for him. Back-end relievers carry absurdly high price tags in July. We could have had the Astros top prospect last year if we made the deal for Britton then.