Back to the Future Part 3 Flaw

Nelson

Please tell me I'm wrong. Back to the Future are my all time favourite films.

In part 3, when they discover the DeLorean at the cemetry in 1955, Marty sees Docs grave which has Claras name on it. In this timeline, Doc dies on September 7th 1885. On September 4th 1885, Clara comes to Hill Valley but her spooked horses go out of control, she falls into the ravine and they name it after her.

The only reason she survives it is because Marty goes back to 1885 (changing the timeline so Doc doesn't die), because of that, Marty and Doc go to what will be Clayton ravine so Doc can explain how they'll get the DeLorean to 88mph to get back to 1985. Doc had originally intended to stay in 1885 so if Marty never went back, Clara and Doc never would have met so how is her name on Docs grave?

The mayor thanked Doc for volunteering to pick up the new teacher at the train station. Pesumably before Marty came back.

In fact, when Doc discusses Clayton Ravine, you can see Clara in the background. 

Clara died in the original timeline. Doc altered that in the timeline where Buford killed him.

We were weighing up letting my near 7 year old watch the first one at the weekend, I think it could well be my favourite film. Had a look on common sense media as I often do since it's easy to forget random swearing (Goonies is way more adult than I remember...), only to find a recommendation of 12+, plus some truly amazing user reviews from people suggesting 18. "He takes the Lord's name in vain!" 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Colly said:

We were weighing up letting my near 7 year old watch the first one at the weekend, I think it could well be my favourite film. Had a look on common sense media as I often do since it's easy to forget random swearing (Goonies is way more adult than I remember...), only to find a recommendation of 12+, plus some truly amazing user reviews from people suggesting 18. "He takes the Lord's name in vain!" 

Because Marty and Doc say "Damn" a few times

There is a bit of swearing, a few utterances of "shit" and "damn", and one instance of racism (Biff's crew confronting the Starlighters and using the word "spook") but all of these are easy to miss and aside from the weird sexual vibe from Marty's mother towards him it's a perfectly acceptable watch for kids I'd say.

I've seen it twice this week because E4 played it on Tuesday then repeated it last night. I love the movie so much.

• Like 1

I'm gonna give it a bit and let her watch it. Its one of those things, the central theme is fairly adult but I think it's easy to skirt round. Plus I didn't know spook was a racist term so she definitely won't... 

I try to think back to when I watched films like this, we were definitely watching things at least three years before the actual rating. Didn't do me any harm etc. 

3 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

There is a bit of swearing, a few utterances of "shit" and "damn", and one instance of racism (Biff's crew confronting the Starlighters and using the word "spook") but all of these are easy to miss and aside from the weird sexual vibe from Marty's mother towards him it's a perfectly acceptable watch for kids I'd say.

I've seen it twice this week because E4 played it on Tuesday then repeated it last night. I love the movie so much.

Yeah but that shit was really creepy.

I'm more creeped out that Marty's ancestors in the old west looked just like him and his mom. It makes some sense why Seamus McFly would look similar to Marty, but why would an 1885 Maggie McFly look just like Lorraine Baines in 1955? Seems like there was some in-breeding going on somewhere.