Euro 2020 qualifiers

Lineker

12 hours ago, Adam said:

I've been looking at the current state of play in Euro 2020 qualifying as pertains to the convoluted Play Off they've come up with for this one, partially because I'm a national football geek and partially because I wanted to see what the Home Nations sides chances were considering most of them are not looking likely to qualify from their groups.

I've realised that Scotland, despite qualifying for the Play Off as a League C team, are likely to face tougher opposition in the Play Off due to the knock-on of all but 4/5 League A/B sides qualifying via the group stage route. If it ended right now, Scotland would be in the League B play-off with Northern Ireland as well as League C qualifiers Norway and Serbia, but if a couple of the group qualifiers swing away from A/B sides to C/D sides (this is feasible for Kosovo over Czech Republic, Hungary over Croatia/Slovakia, Romania/Norway over Sweden and North Macedonia/Slovenia over Austria) then Scotland could find themselves in a play-off with Austria and Wales, two sides I'd consider stronger than Scotland in a lot of areas. Not that the current Scotland side look that capable of even beating the League C sides to be fair.

This format does also mean that, in the event of missing out in the group stage, it's highly likely that Wales, Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland will be in the Play Offs. The League A play-off will almost certainly be Switzerland/Denmark, Iceland, Bosnia and then Wales if both Sweden and Austria qualify automatically. It would only take, say, Romania finishing above Sweden in the group, to engineer an entirely British Isles League B play-off as well, since if one of Sweden and Austria drops out of an automatic place and Republic of Ireland drop to 3rd in their group, and nothing else changes, the League B teams would be Wales, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Elsewhere, perennial minnows Luxembourg are quite close to a League D play-off spot, they just have to hope one of Kosovo or North Macedonia pull off a surprise and make it into the top two of their group. The idea of Luxembourg playing in the Euro finals is bizarre.

I think they should've just stuck with the simple one-stage format myself but here we are.

I've been trying to wrap my ahead around exactly how the playoff format works. So basically there's four spots and instead of doing it like they normally select groups (you can't have a qualifying group of 5 top ranked nations) the "best" 4 are in 1 group competing for 1 spot, the "next best" 4 in another group competing for another spot, and so on.

If it creates a scenario where Luxembourg can get in that's really cool but it does also seem to mean three of Switzerland/Denmark, Iceland, Bosnia, and Wales are going to miss out which is a bit odd.

Didn’t the Bulgarian FA president “slam” England for talking about the possibility of racism only the other day...? 

Found it. 

Comments by Gareth Southgate and England players such as Tammy Abraham about possible racist abuse in Sofia have been described as “offensive” and “derogatory” by the president of the Bulgarian Football Union.

It means he’s clearly blind to the issue.

At this point UEFA or FIFA need to come down and suspend an entire country from an international cycle. You'll know when the line's been crossed (it was in today's match) and when it has you come down on them. Empty stadiums don't solve it, time to punish the FA itself. Then with potential tournament money out of their pockets they'll finally step in.

6 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

At this point UEFA or FIFA need to come down and suspend an entire country from an international cycle. You'll know when the line's been crossed (it was in today's match) and when it has you come down on them. Empty stadiums don't solve it, time to punish the FA itself. Then with potential tournament money out of their pockets they'll finally step in.

They could try banning fans from the offending country for entire tournament cycles. So, force Bulgaria to only accept away fans for an entire qually campaign etc, and band Bulgarian fans from attending away internationals too. 

9 minutes ago, Yorkshiresbadass said:

Bulgaria manager didn’t hear the chants or see the salutes but thought the England fans were out of order ..... wow!

Just heard on the wireless that the Bulgarian PM/President has called for the Manager to be sacked, I think.

Lets not pretend we don't have our own problems. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MDK said:

Just heard on the wireless that the Bulgarian PM/President has called for the Manager to be sacked, I think.

Lets not pretend we don't have our own problems. 

Ban football in London.