Worst series finales ever

million$$man

Saw Rob Lowe tweeting about this today. He was is a show called Lyons Den, and it was cancelled halfway through its first season, but they were contractually obligated to film 3 more episodes. He said they purposely made those episodes the most ludicrous episodes ever. Lowe's character had been up to those episodes a supremely ethical lawyer in an unethical firm. The finale revealed him to be a serial killer who committed suicide. 

What are some of the worst finales ever?

I haven't seen the Lost episode, because I always heard it was so bad. For me the worst finales are:

1. Seinfeld

2. Dexter

3. Roseanne 

Rob Lowe is filming a series in my local town.

Anyway, I don't have many suggestions for adult shows, so I'll draw some attention to Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons. It had a proper story arc that slowly uncovered extra details about the Mysterons, including their methods and weaknesses, and there was a really exciting penultimate episode that turned out to be a dream. The final episode was a clip show.

I'll also make a blanket statement about all shows that end with a cliffhanger before they get cancelled. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles annoyed me by falling into that trap. Also, on the subject of children's programmes, I'll give a mention to the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon (well, one of two that were broadcast in the mid-1990s), which was another that finished on a cliffhanger.

12 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Rob Lowe is filming a series in my local town.

Anyway, I don't have many suggestions for adult shows, so I'll draw some attention to Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons. It had a proper story arc that slowly uncovered extra details about the Mysterons, including their methods and weaknesses, and there was a really exciting penultimate episode that turned out to be a dream. The final episode was a clip show.

I'll also make a blanket statement about all shows that end with a cliffhanger before they get cancelled. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles annoyed me by falling into that trap. Also, on the subject of children's programmes, I'll give a mention to the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon (well, one of two that were broadcast in the mid-1990s), which was another that finished on a cliffhanger.

I hate watching cliffhanger shows, just in case they get cancelled. I was burned by the 4400 and I'm determined to never let it happen again.

I'm going old school, but mainly because I've been satsified with most recent series' endings.

1. Roseanne. Fortunately, the reboot pretty much wiped out that entirely lame last season. (And I like The Conners because of Roseanne's absence. Still funny as hell.)

2. St. Elsewhere. Words cannot describe how shit it was. 

3. Who's The Boss. All that, and they don't get married. And the reason why is they felt it would have hurt syndication. When's the last time they even re-ran that show?

I don't know about worst, but certainly darkest would be ALF (he gets captured by the ATF then we don't get a follow-up TV movie for years after that) and Dinosaurs (they inadvertently bring on the ice age and are pretty much doomed to die.)

Dexter. By a mile.

HIMYM was ludicrous as well but that show was questionable for a long time before too.

Not actually the finale, but the conclusion of the Red John storyline in The Mentalist. The show shouldn't have carried on after it, and they completely ruined the entire 6 season story anyway with some bad creative choices.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Dexter. By a mile.

HIMYM was ludicrous as well but that show was questionable for a long time before too.

Not actually the finale, but the conclusion of the Red John storyline in The Mentalist. The show shouldn't have carried on after it, and they completely ruined the entire 6 season story anyway with some bad creative choices.

I take your Dexter and raise you True Blood. Not only a Godawful last ep, but entire season. 

Millennium - the real finale wasn't great at all, but the X-Files crossover finale was awful. Almost as if the person who wrote it (the series creator) had forgotten everything about it except the main character's name. 

Also Prison Break, since the finale (season 2) didn't put a stop to the series. 

I thought the final season of HIMYM had some amazing throwback moments to seasons past, and some overall really fun moments. But yeah, the ending itself was really bad.

The Mother was amazing in every scene she was in, and should've been in that last season a whole lot more. 

• Like 3

I'll say it then. The fucking Lost finale. What a god damn fantastic show up until that point. Enjoyable characters. Intriguing plots. While some parts dragged, it kept you interested. BUT..... Six years of people going, they are in purgatory, and the people in charge of the show going, they aren't in purgatory, and BAM.....fucking purgatory.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Josh to the World said:

Here’s my periodic reminder that House was great for 5 seasons + 1 episode, then got worse and worse up to a miserable finale.

House rides off into the sunset on his bike, right? That felt like such a copout.

Also, the Sons of Anarchy series finale always rankles me.