The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

New Captain Marvel was lovely, looks to be setting up exactly what I want out of my Captain Marvel comic - Carol Danvers being awesome in Space.

Though, as much as I liked it, can I say now that I can't stand the memory loss trope any more? It's such a cheap mechanic to start writing a character a different way. The change of personality never feels earned. Luckily most of what made Cap. Marvel be Cap. Marvel is still intact, but eh.

Is there anywhere I can find a chronology of the Marvel NOW! comics?

I know they start following Avengers vs. X-Men, which I'll have to go back and read at some point but I'm worried I'll read things when I'm not meant to.

For example, the events of GotG takes place after the events of Iron Man 1-10. I figured this out by accident. Does it really matter if I read them in order? I don't want to be spoiling things for myself, etc. I'm new to the comic book format and could definitely do with some advice.

My advice would be not to worry about it. Guardians and Iron Man came out around the same time, they're released with the idea in mind that you'll probably read them at the same time. If you start tying yourself up in knots over reading things in order, you'll end up reading one issue of one comic, six of another, another one of the previous... It's not worth the hassle. Most times it'll just be covering the same detail from a different angle.

For example, in Infinity, there's about six different comics that cover what happens to Captain Marvel. It's all just the same variation of the story, which honestly just gets old eventually.

Considering these are all new to me, which of these are any good?

House of M

Secret War

Decimation

Avengers Dissasembled

House of M is a pretty decent read. As for Avengers Dissasembled, it isn't bad, but feels more like a prologue to a larger story/next event.

I got one of those weird Japan comic things that you read backwards. It's messing with my head. Like I can't get my head around reading this way

It was for me like that in at first, too. Now I find it weirder to read comics from left to right, because I read a lot more manga now than western comics. It's just a matter of getting used to it. I guess.

God yeah, when I started reading American comics I couldn't get out of Manga mode because for years those were the only kind of comicsI read. Now the other week when I was rereading Kodocha it took me half a volume to get back to reading manga the right way.

So I'm finally getting around to reading Blackest Night, and the first thing I think about, is that even as a Green Lantern fanboy, it is soooo difficult to keep up with everything because of the amount of crossovers. It's insane.

That said, I'm not far in, but I am really digging this use of Black Hand.

Finished Watchmen last night. Still not quite sure what I think of it other than that I liked Rorschach.

Is Forever Evil still going? If so when does it end?

Is Forever Evil still going? If so when does it end?

I think it's in April or May... I know there's only one issue of the main series left, #7, but between now and the its release, there are probably another 20 tie-ins or so <_<

Now, I'm enjoying the main story, but enough with the tie-ins!

I've spent an absurd amount on Marvel TPBs over the past few days after reading, and rather enjoying, Avengers vs. X-Men.

Spoilered for being rambling and probably spoiler-y for stuff that happened years ago;

I bloody love X-Men, so I'm easily sold on almost anything with them in it, but Schism, Regeneration and AvsX were superb. Regeneration was a lot of fun, while also setting up for God knows how many other potential stories, and the entire run has the fantastic quality of making you feel like you were right for having thought Cyclops was a bit of a dick all along. The clash of ideologies between Cyclops and Wolverine is almost like Xavier and Magneto all over again, and I assume that's intentional...but Cyclops ending up in a position where he could conceivably be one of the bigger supervillains in the franchise is wonderful, because it never felt forced, never felt like a "heel turn", it really felt like Cyclops had naturally grown into that position. Which, again, is like Magneto all over again - he was at his best as a villain when you perfectly understood his reasoning, you just doubted his methods, or the end result of his plan.

I've got Age Of Ultron to come next, followed by Battle Of The Atom. And I've already pre-ordered Original Sin, and will probably attempt to keep up with the Wolverine "3 Months To Die" story when that begins. It's hard to get hold of new comics over here, so it's actually quite exciting following thinking of following stories "as they happen" for the first time since Civil War.

Marvel announces Spider-Verse.

I SO want this. A story involving every Spider-Man from every universe (or at least the important ones: Amazing, Ultimate (Miles), 2099, Superior (not confirmed, but he's in the picture, or at least I think that's him), 1602, Spider-Ham, Captain Universe, Scarlet Spider, etc etc)? I'm sold. Hell, even May "Spider-Girl" Parker is in this! Awesome!