The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Original Sin continues to be cool, just read #1, waiting on some of the other comics that the story's involved with to show up.

Have literally no idea who's behind it all, but the suggestion that it could well be one of the heroes is a cool one - Nick Fury flat out said that there's only a small list of people who even know the Watcher exists, let alone would have the capacity to kill him. Fury's great so far too, being reluctantly convinced to come out of "retirement" only to immediately get back to old tricks and start going behind people's backs and setting up contradictory reports, getting different teams behaving differently and so on.

The secondary team he's set up has potential to be a lot of fun, too - Dr. Strange, The Punisher, Moon Knight, Winter Soldier and Gamora could be the most delightfully bonkers superhero team-up going. Strange and Punisher could be so much fun together even without the others. Looking like Fury's reached out to Cyclops' X-Men is promising too, if only because that's the side of the Marvel universe I'm most interested in.

All good stuff so far, anyway.

I'm still doing my X-Men read through and I'm up to 1996, where there are so many spinoffs it's hard to keep track. I'm wary come the turn of the century all the crossovers start going company wide so I'm tempted to go back and do some reading of some of the bigger titles (Hulk, Spiderman, Avengers, FF) to get a bit of background, but my 'read everything' mindset means that'll take me years.

My phone recommended me Marvel Unlimited the other day, am I right in saying thats basically Netflix/WWE Network for comics? As you've probably guessed I'm reading stuff through nefarious means, so I'd like to actually pay for something if it's reasonable and a decent service, anyone in?

Oh, and I read two 'Professor X and the X-Men' issues yesterday, which does the original 60s stuff from different perspectives (issue 4 mentions Colossus, Storm and Nightcrawler before he's even tried recruiting Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch), but I'm passing on that just to avoid several more years of CURSED EYE BLASTS.

MM:Ultimate Spider-Man 1 spoilers below

There is no way that's actually Peter. It's a clone or something. They're just jerking people around since Peter just came back in the mainstream universe...right?

If it is really Peter then maaaaan, I'll be so happy. I like Miles and don't want him to stop being Spider-Man, I can dig two Spider-Men.

There is no way that's actually Peter. It's a clone or something. They're just jerking people around since Peter just came back in the mainstream universe...right?

If it is really Peter then maaaaan, I'll be so happy. I like Miles and don't want him to stop being Spider-Man, I can dig two Spider-Men.

I haven't read it yet, but regarding the spoiler...

Wasn't the Peter clone that was the Scorpion still alive? I've been playing Shattered Dimensions for the last couple of weeks and went to Marvel's wiki where I ended up at his page, and it said he had been taken in by SHIELD. It wouldn't surprise me if they had fixed him up and he had been there working in some capacity up until now.

I haven't read it yet, but regarding the spoiler...

Wasn't the Peter clone that was the Scorpion still alive? I've been playing Shattered Dimensions for the last couple of weeks and went to Marvel's wiki where I ended up at his page, and it said he had been taken in by SHIELD. It wouldn't surprise me if they had fixed him up and he had been there working in some capacity up until now.

Well, he calls himself the original Spider-Man so I don't think it's the Scorpion clone, that clone should know he's a clone iirc.

Whoever is drawing All-New Ultimates can't draw faces for Jessica or Kitty at all. They look horrible.

Original Sin continues to be cool, just read #1, waiting on some of the other comics that the story's involved with to show up.

Have literally no idea who's behind it all, but the suggestion that it could well be one of the heroes is a cool one - Nick Fury flat out said that there's only a small list of people who even know the Watcher exists, let alone would have the capacity to kill him. Fury's great so far too, being reluctantly convinced to come out of "retirement" only to immediately get back to old tricks and start going behind people's backs and setting up contradictory reports, getting different teams behaving differently and so on.

The secondary team he's set up has potential to be a lot of fun, too - Dr. Strange, The Punisher, Moon Knight, Winter Soldier and Gamora could be the most delightfully bonkers superhero team-up going. Strange and Punisher could be so much fun together even without the others. Looking like Fury's reached out to Cyclops' X-Men is promising too, if only because that's the side of the Marvel universe I'm most interested in.

All good stuff so far, anyway.

I am also loving it. It is great having classic Fury at the center of a major arc.

Reading all of Knightfall. I was expecting a slow build to Jean-Paul going crazy but nope, as soon as that cowl goes on he goes batshit insane. One day he's helping Tim and Alfred move Bruce upstairs and later that night he's snarling and ready to beat some thug to death with a sledge hammer and is telling Robin off.

Knightfall after the first book is just dreadful. It falls into the usual traps of 90's comics where they forget any decent storytelling the instant a "cool" idea comes to mind. The art is mostly awful as well. Azazel's Batman outfit is the epitome of horrible 90's comic outfits.

It's funny really, people know about these supposedly great stories, but they forget all the dreadful stuff involved in it. Everyone know's Days of Future Past as one of the great X-Men stories, they don't talk about the like 4 issues that consist entirely of the X-Men and Dr. Strange travelling through hell because why not? Or Death of Superman spawning about 6 fucking awful fill-in Superman characters.

Man, the 90's sucked for comics. Everything looks like Spawn.

That isn't tying in with the BB Digital comic, is it? Terry just went to an alternate universe(The Justice Lords from JLU) in that.

I read the FCBD issue and I think Futures End #1? Maybe? Maybe that was the FCBD one and I'm getting them mixed up.

I'd be more interested if it wasn't set 5 years in the future. Just a cheap way of writing out characters they don't want without affecting their current series. Batman Beyond in current continuity would be fun though, not really too much of a stretch for his character, either. Current day DC is basically the world Batman Beyond is set in at this point. >_>

Also, Batman Eternal is cool and all, but man I wish Bluebird would be the current day Batman Sidekick. Such a lovely addition to the Batfamily, it's been so long since a new girl debuted. Makes me want to read Batgirl all over again.

I've started reading Waid's Daredevil and just finished the issues with Spider-Man and the Black Cat in volume two. I'm loving it and will probably focus on that for my catch up reading. The issue where he gets stranded in the snow with the kids was great.

I'm also a few issues into Lemire's Green Arrow after giving up on Nocenti. This looks like it should be 1000% better.

I've been in the process of reading all Avengers comics, and I'm in the 90s comics. Holy jeebus, this is painful to read. Like TKz said, 90s were really bad for comics. I grew up reading 90s comics and they didn't seem so bad at the time, but now that I have a way to compare them with other decades... This is really awful. Seems to me the Avengers were hit especially bad. I've already read Spider-Man and X-Men collections and, barring the Clone Saga, I really don't recall anything this awful in either of those collections. Leather jackets for everyone! "Cool" makeovers! Deathcry! The Crossing! Oy...

X-Men has it worst, from my experience. Onslaught, anyone? >_>

I really feel like since the MCU took off, Marvel has finally started to nail down some fantastic teams for Avengers. Hickmans run thus far on New Avengers and Avengers has been brilliant. Especially New Avengers, I wasn't keen on losing the previous Luke Cage led team, but the Illuminati stuff makes for a great read. Just a shame how fucking bizarre it feels when you know what's going on with certain characters at the time. Like Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic showing up with no problems, despite one of them being in space and the other time travelling... through space.

Honestly, I didn't mind the Onslaught stuff. What came after it, though, with Heroes Reborn, was awful as well. But the actual Onslaught event, and even the character, I don't mind at all. But these Avengers stories... Though Cap could be even worse, but I still haven't read his books yet. The book I'm reading now, he just showed up with an armor, apparently with a terminal condition or something. That doesn't sound good at all. Also, I haven't actually hit the Crossing yet, but from everything I've read about it, I'm dreading it. Only a few books left...