The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

So I'm reading Powers and the issues I'm reading all have Image's logo on them. I go to Google an issue and I find it on the Marvel website. What's the deal with that?

It's creator owned. Image published it from 2000-2004, then it moved to Marvel from 2004 onwards as part of the Icon Comics imprint, which specializes in publishing creator owned comics.

• Like 1

Loving the new announcements from Marvel.

So for starters, Thor will be deemed unworthy and a woman will take up the mantle of being Thor, despite it being his birth name not a title. The name thing is silly, but man, if Jason Aaron is writing it, I'm all about it. I don't even understand why you'd be upset about it - for starters, it'll be undone once the next Thor film comes out. Second, Thor is still around, if anything, this'll be a fresh look at the character. And last of all, Jason Aaron is still writing the Thor comics and after God of Thunder, I have no doubt it'll be fantastic. Plus, Superior Spider-Man was the best Spider-Man story in ages.

Next up, Falcon will now be Captain America. I hate that they're depowering Steve and not giving him another role ala. Steve Rogers - Head of SHIELD, but hopefully they've got something interesting planned for him. I love the idea of Falcon as Cap, though. Bucky's run as Cap was wonderful and with the right writer, I'm betting Falcon will be a great Cap.

Then there's the Iron Man Re-launch, "Superior Iron Man". Which sounds great, a darker Tony Stark is really needed, because Iron Man's barely changed since 2008. They put him in space and it still didn't really make him any more interesting. I doubt it'll be anything as dark as Superior Spider-Man, but I like the idea at least. I think Tony needs a really great writer, it feels like he hasn't had one since the Fraction run.

And last of all, we're about to get a really weird core Avengers group:

Marvel-Avengers-NOW.jpg

Only problems I have are that Bucky is about to go cosmic with his new series in October, so I don't really want to see him slumming it on earth. And man, I don't care at all for Angela or Deathlok being added. Angela is a boring relic that still feels out of place and Deathlok is just not on that level. He was interesting in Uncanny X-Force, but man I have no interest in seeing him in such a central position. I think it's pretty clear why he's there, too. (I'm looking at you, Agents of SHIELD).

Overall though, if Hickman is still writing and it's half as good as his current Avengers run, it'll probably be fucking great. I'm psyched for the future of Marvel NOW, which has been fucking incredible thus far. Given us so many amazing titles like Moon Knight, Hickman's Avengers, Nova, New Avengers, Thor: God of Thunder, Superior Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Young Avengers, Captain Marvel (so fucking good), Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Black Widow, Iron Fist The Living Weapon, Magneto (best. just the best), Rocket Raccoon, Hawkeye... and I haven't even read some of the other well received ones.

Has there ever been so many great comics running at once (I realize some have recently ended/started before Now) from one company?

(And yeah, you can probably guess from this, my pull list is fucking ridiculous.)

Question about Superior Iron Man:

Is it really Tony Stark as Iron Man? Or is it Arno Stark? Because in the latest comics, Arno seems to be building up to some power play of sorts and could very well be vying to be Iron Man, I think. He already has Iron Man armor to move around in, and since he's, arguably, more intelligent than Tony, wouldn't be all that surprising for him to be the "Superior" Iron Man, I think

Also, will there be another Thor movie? I thought they had said the second one was the last, or at least the last one for quite a while, as they wanted to move to other properties?

And on that picture, I recognize everyone except the fire guy between FalconCap and Deathlok, who is he?

Inferno, he's a new Inhuman. Probably part of a play to push Inhumans higher up the popularity list. And there will definitely be a new Thor film. I think we'll get that after Cap 2, though, seeing the poor critical reaction to The Dark World.

And yeah, it's definitely Tony Stark, they've confirmed it's Tony.

• Like 1

I recall reading that Thor probably wouldn't have a Phase 3 solo film, same with Iron Man... but that Captain America would get a third solo movie. Makes sense. Iron Man finished out a trilogy. The Dark World was kind of a throwaway film (though I did particularly enjoy it). Winter Soldier was breathtaking, so it makes sense that Cap gets another solo film in Phase 3. But with Ant Man and Doctor Strange getting films, as well as a potential sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm not sure we need the established heroes to get more solo films in prior to Avengers 3. The only other established hero who could benefit from a solo film in the build up to Avengers 3 is Hulk. I'd actually just like to see him break away from the Avengers, get a solo film, and start establishing the other characters that branch off from Hulk. Let's get some of the villains in, maybe get Doc Samson and She-Hulk in on the action a little.

I doubt Samson would be a villain or a major character in another Hulk movie, he was already a throwaway character in Incredible Hulk, wasn't he? At least I think it was Samson, he was Betty's boyfriend/fiancée/whatever, played by Ty Burrell, and his name was Leonard.

I don't actually have a pull list, I just buy them on ebay and pre-order there. Comics really need to get their shit together and offer an easier method than "Subscribe 6 at a time!". I should be able to go onto your website, put my details in, subscribe to a comic and just pick what issue I want it to start from. Say we're currently on Issue 3, which I already have. I pick Issue 4 and it just sends it to me every time it's out and takes the money from my account. Every system I've found in the UK is so annoying, I just don't bother and pick up issues as they release.

Marvel needs to just leave stuff the fuck alone with Captain America. Seriously.

I like Sam Wilson, but the costume design sucks. And its time to stop having people replace Steve as Cap.

Like the new Iron Man design, but I'm not crazy about the female Thor's costume.....or that they're actually going to call her `Thor'. I'm just hoping the new Thor turns out to be Sif.

(And can I point out the Steve Rogers is worthy of lifting Mjolnir? Should have had the swerve be making Sam the new Cap and Steve the new Thor)

Hmm. I need to start setting up a pull list. I never even figured until now it was a viable option for easily keeping up.

If you're going digital you can use League of Comic Geeks to make a pull list to keep up. You just make an account, search the series you want to add then hit it's subscribe button. After that you can go on any time and click on your pull list and it'll tell you what comic released an issue this week.

For me it looks like this for this week

hxUKiT7.png?1

And next week..

WRIRhhV.png?1

Edited by Kirkland

Guys! I wanna buy some new comics!

I've still not finished Civil War or Blankets so I wanna keep away from superheroes or super serious stuff.

I've kinda got my list down to either Locke & Key, Sin City or Saga and I can afford to get maybe three tpb's. Do I get the first of each, or do I splurge all on one set?

I'm leaning towards Sin City purely because the 3rd edition covers are amazing.