The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Just finished The Boys. Man that last volume gets to you. This might be my favorite comic series I've read.

So I decided to try Marvel Unlimited since it was 99 cents for a limited time, and the product itself is great, but holy shit the app is a fucking nightmare. Crashes constantly, erases library, downloads glitch, says there's no internet when there is. I was going to consider a long term subscription but not until they put forth the effort to make a decent app. No wonder it has a 2 star rating.

Just finished The Boys. Man that last volume gets to you. This might be my favorite comic series I've read.

The Boys is fucking great. I recommend it to a lot of customers at the store.

I thought the latest issue was boring and predictable. How many times do we have to read "oh you have a long lost sibling/parents/clone" story? I know Silk isn't related to Parker, but to me it reads like one of those stories. Superior Spider-Man was much more interesting.

Finally got round to reading Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom. It's brilliant. I love it when any medium can make a villain so human and relatable, while keeping true to his character. And I also just love me some Doctor Strange. Really good stuff.

edit: I think I got up to like Volume 5 or 6 of The Boys. I remember really, really enjoying it -- I just didn't take it any further.

So I think I wanna get back into reading more graphic novels. So I'm not really looking to jump into anything current, but something that's really well rated. I like both Marvel & DC characters, but I'm definitely more interested in other more independent kind of stuff. I love stuff by Warren Ellis and Alan Moore (although, I've barely read any of their stuff, so some other work of theres would be cool). But yeah just anything that was exciting and worth reading is good with me.

For what it's worth, I currently have Planetary, Transmetropolitan, Daredevil: Born Again & Joss Whedon's run on X-Men available to me at the moment which I haven't read. Also just requested League of Extraordinary Gentlemen from the library.

• Like 1

If you're gonna still stick with the "comics"-y type stories, Saga and Y: The Last Man are both fantastic. From what little I read of Fables, I enjoyed it for the most part. The Walking Dead is longgggg and overly-gory/relies a bit too much on shock value, but I still really like it (up to about issue 100)

Gotham Central was preeeetttyyy cool. Tells a story of Gotham from the perspective of its cops. Doesn't feature Batman at all aside from a few glimpses here and there.

Black Hole is rad. Ghost World is similar in its topic matter (ish) and pretty great. Sex is rad. I need to read it, but I've heard awesome things about Blankets. I've loved what I've read of Chew—fun stuff. Sweet Tooth was AWESOME. Maus I and II are incredible. Epileptic was pretty rad, too. I personally loved Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth. Onwards Towards Our Noble Deaths can draaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggg, but it's a fascinating read. I also love the old TMNT comics and Usagi Yojimbo (got into that after reading TMNT crossovers/seeing the cartoon). Also, if you want just quick, fun reads, Hark! A Vagrant from Kate Beaton is hilarious, and you'd be supporting a Montreal-based indie publisher and that's pretty cool.

Edit: Paying for It by Chester Brown is awesome, too. His other stuff is rad, as well. It's about a dude being a John, paying for prostitution. It's pretttttttttyyy great.

• Like 1

I don't personally care that much for graphic novels any more, much prefer reading certain writers runs of books. Also not that into comics outside of the big two companies. But ones of the top of my head that I've read and enjoyed would be Joker and Luthor by Brian Azzerello, both give us a view of those villains we aren't familiar with. Hush is a pretty decent Batman run, features a lot of the big DC characters. Long Halloween is another Batman story, arguably the strongest one. It's actually a run of comics (as is Hush), but it reads like a one off. The Killing Joke is great if you haven't read it. I've got Kingdom Come, a lot of people rate that as one of the best, I'm not so into it though.

Green Arrow - Year One is good. As is the Batman one, obviously, but it's always nice to read characters you might be less familiar with.

Infinity Gauntlet is a decent old school Marvel story, probably will have you set up and psyched for Avengers 3, as well. Marvel doesn't really do graphic novels, DC meanwhile has a lot of stories that've kind of transitioned into that medium despite being during a certain writers run. Silver Surfer: Requiem is another great Marvel one off, though.

Otherwise, short of some first volumes of certain comics, that's about all I could recommend. If you're interested in anything like that, Young Avengers is a lovely team that's current run only ran for 3 volumes. There's a lot of really good comics running right now that have a volume or two in the bank you could read, I'd actually argue this is one of the strongest eras for comic book writing since guys like Kirby, Lee and Starlin were in the business.

http://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/wiki/faq#wiki_recommended_reading

Also, I can't wait till next week. New Invincible, Earth 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Ultimate FF

...Did Sue just castrate Reed? Cause that's the only one of the things I can think of that'd fit here that'd she'd have to do herself.

Edited by Kirkland

Okay, has anyone read Planetary? I'm two issues in, and it seems like everything's quite episodic, and it's just kind of a 'case of the week' kind of deal. I'm really too into that, so I was just wondering if that's the case, then I might not really continue.

Report back on Thursday for the annual Abnett and Lanning appreciation day, followed by the Richard Rider Love Fest the following day.

One thing I will say... is if you read all of Marvel Cosmic, feel free to skip nearly everything Realm of Kings/War of Kings to do with Vulcan and the X-Men. By the end, I was just flicking through that crossover to get to the next issue to do with Quasar/Phyla-Vell/Nova/Guardians.