The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I've only seen his work from Secret Avengers, which was pretty great. Not much to compare it with, though, only Valkyrie and Black Widow actually show up in that one.

Can we talk about favorite artists for comics, though? And by that I mean, let's all talk about David Aja being the bestest. I don't think I've read an issue he's done the art on that I haven't loved.

I don't really much pay attention to who actually is doing the art on what I read unless it really hits. Ever since I read Kingdom Come I've been a fan of Alex Ross' art though. Everything just looks so awesome. I guess I could say Bruce Timm too, even though he doesn't do too many full comic books he does occasionally draw things for DC and Marvel books.

And just because I can I'm going to share some stuff

Bruce Timm

07a81a9e1a8d761f810553a4fb191a7a.jpg

c2b51266938f9f16d452996a2d607eb8.jpg

43aee4915584559c0cb481a122086996.jpg

tumblr_mifi9hJBfx1qb57azo1_1280.jpg

c8caa66313e29da2e0adf612eece9ac1.jpg

9a34f6579d4b484cda57f31c724a8930.jpg

Also, never Google Timm art, even if you have specific drawings in mind, unless you ready for a page full of naked cartoon ladies.

Alex Ross

ca_RossAvengers.jpg

1535552_752470474765124_2047335876_n.jpg

4439181b0b30ed631a2951921a05fbbe.jpg

529427_606852299326943_1965747350_n.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

tumblr_mjo73lLZaF1qcy5lco1_500.jpg

• Like 1

God I love you,Injustice.

ALl3F9h.png

Yaaay, old Harley costume! It won't last long but still awesome.

Anything with Frank Quitely is must read for me. Other artists that I can think of off the top of my head that get me jazzed would be: Chris Burnham, Declan Shlavey, John Romita Jr., Brandon Graham, Becky Cloonan, Jerome Opena, Greg Capullo, Steve Epting... Ehh I'll just stop there I could go on forever.

Edited by cthemason

I'm actually enjoying early 90's DC. I'm assuming it hits a wall of shit at some point though.

Whoa, just found this

[

tumblr_lr87mhZfjS1qfd4zdo1_500.jpg

[

Drawn by Timm and colored by Ross.

Edited by Kirkland
  • Like 1

Major spoilers behind the link but Batman Beyond is getting into why there is such a big rift between Dick anad Bruce. Brucelooks more and more like an asshole as this goes on.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/85607-exactly-what-happened-between-bruce-wayne-barbara-gordon-so-estranged-dick-grayson-batman-beyond-spoilers.html

Does Future's End take place in the current day DC universe or a few years ahead but still before Terry's time?

Does Future's End take place in the current day DC universe or a few years ahead but still before Terry's time?

It's 5 years ahead of current DC. I think it was 5 years. I know for sure it's before Terry's time because he goes back in time in the first issue

Read through issues 1-10 of Bendis' All-New X-Men with my new Marvel Unlimited subscription. All this time I thought I hated X-Men, when it turns out I just hated Messiah Complex. Definitely going to continue reading Bendis' All-New.

Also went back and read the very first issue of X-Men from 1963. Amazing how much plot and detail they could cram into such a short book, even if there are plenty of conventions that don't stand the test of time. I was disappointed with some aspects I learned about X-Men though:

Originally the X-Gene isn't mentioned. The team is called the X-Men because they're a group who have... EXTRA powers!

Also the fact that Ice Man is a Snowman, and Cyclops has to look at everything through a very narrow slit. The nob on his visor opens the visor, and the bigger the opening the stronger the concussive blast.

Hilariously though, Magneto is introduced with a hatred for homo sapians in the first issue and his secret maniacle plot is to take control of rockets being launched... and drive them straight into the ocean. This way those pesky humans learn they ain't so big and untouchable!

Re-watching this for the millionth time made me wonder something. What was everyone's first comic they bought? I had comics as a kid my dad would get me but I hardly read those. First comic I bought with my own money was in my last year of Highschool's(2010) Book Fair and it was a hardback copy of The Killing Joke.

The first comic I ever bought with my own money was probably 2000AD. I got bought a lot of Beano comics, and eventually moved on to Spider-Man and X-Men, but 2000AD was the first one I think I actually bought myself.

First comic I ever bought with my allowance was this particular issue of Spider-Man by Tom DeFalco that I've painstakingly taken the time to find on the internet to recollect at some point.

First comic I ever bought with my own money from working was either The Punisher or Ghost Rider. I remember subscribing to them for a year's worth of issues right away. Graphic Novel was Thor, Vol. 1 by J. Michael Straczynski

venomworld.jpg

A future Guardians Of The Galaxy story will feature the homeworld of the Venom symbiote, because it turns out that's never actually been done before.

If only it was anyone other than Bendis writing it.

The current team of Guardians is a Nova short of having literally all my favorite characters in the Marvel Universe.

And it's being written by a guy that has absolutely no ability at giving people individual voices. :(

It just drives me insane how every character reads the exact same, especially when it's a character with a very particular voice. (Like nearly all of the Guardians of the Galaxy cast)

It's the sort of thing that doesn't really matter when you're writing Avengers or X-Men, where the greater story is really the key point and all the characters have their own books. But in Guardians, that's really the only comic with those characters. The additional ones (Legendary Star Lord, Galaxies Most Wanted) are horrible, too. It's not like Avengers where you've got Jason Aaron writing Thor's own book and Rick Remender writing Cap, so you get a healthy fill of great stories which develop the characters and focus on them.

Such a huge step down from Abnett and Lanning's run. And the characters are written so differently... which would make sense, if they were trying to synergise the comics with the films, but the film characters are so much closer to the previous run. It makes no sense.

Maybe I'm still just pissed that Quill is blonde for absolutely no reason.