The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

So this is a thing. I wonder if the fact I haven't had anything to do with The X-Files since I was like 12 would keep me from enjoying it.

I read it and actually liked it. I really liked that a 38 year old Virgina state Trooper didn't decide to paint his face.I love the makeup but that would have been silly here. The bird seemed a bit dumb compared to the one that was with Eric.

• Like 1

Anyone else been reading Injustice? The latest issue is a really good one for Harley fans.

So I'm caught up on Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men, All New X-Men and Uncanny Avengers. Any other current Marvel books really good? I sampled GotG during the crossover with All New X-Men and wasn't much into it. I'm thinking next I'm going to read Superior Spider-Man as a starting point for getting into "current" non-Ultimate Spidey books but I'm open to more current Marvel.

Give Captain Marvel, She-Hulk and Daredevil a shot, they're really good right now and are what? Only 5 issues in each or something like that?

I started on the previous run of Daredevil and I finished it tonight. Holy hell what a good series. I hope the current one lives up to it.

I just found out that Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker wrote a run on Iron Fist together... with art by David Aja.

Best. Day. Ever.

And it's awesooooome.

https://www.cbcscomics.com/

So, this was announced at the end of May apparently and if it was brought up in the thread already, sorry but I didn't see it.

Steve Borock is heading a new grading company. He's the former president of CGC that left and went to work for Heritage for a while. I think this'd be great to have a legitimate company out there to give competition to CGC (PGX is crap outside of being able to get decent grade comics for less money than most want to shill them for and Vault has no rep yet).

Am I the only one that really doesn't like Spider-Man 2099's costume? That thing on his chest doesn't even really look like a spider and the things on his mask really only kinda look like eyes. Also waaaaay too much blue for my liking.

Edited by Kirkland

Well it was created in the early 90's so it's about par for the course. Plus, who are you to say what spiders will look like...in the future?

• Like 3

I actually really like the costume, but something seems not quite right in the new series, maybe they put too much emphasis on the blue aspects of the costume, or something about the artist's drawings overall, but I really loved the way they drew it in the 90s (Rick Leonardi's version was great, IMO).

Also, was that drawing on his chest ever supposed to be a spider? IIRC, the costume he wears was just something he bought for a Dia de Los Muertos celebration, not necessarily representing a spider... I seem to remember he just picked it because it was handy (it was available and made of unstable molecules that could adapt to his talons... He got the "webs" later from a hang glider or something). I could be wrong, but I think that's the way it happened.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat
  • Like 1

I actually really like the costume, but something seems not quite right in the new series, maybe they put too much emphasis on the blue aspects of the costume, or something about the artist's drawings overall, but I really loved the way they drew it in the 90s (Rick Leonardi's version was great, IMO).

Also, was that drawing on his chest ever supposed to be a spider? IIRC, the costume he wears was just something he bought for a Dia de Los Muertos celebration, not necessarily representing a spider... I seem to remember he just picked it because it was handy (it was available and made of unstable molecules that could adapt to his talons... He got the "webs" later from a hang glider or something). I could be wrong, but I think that's the way it happened.

I see Spidey 2099 and I see a Spawn villain instead of Spider-Man. I never read the old ones so I knew nothing of it being a Dia de Los Muertos thing but you'd still think he'd have gotten a new one with a Spider on it at some point considering he's SPIDER-MAN. I really hope they realize how 90's he looks and decide to have him change it up a little in the present. Take that current one and mix it with the Iron Spider suit and you'd have a nice looking costume. Keep the eyes pretty much the same but take the bits off the sides of them then turn the red Gold, turn the blue to red, clean the top of his logo up to look like a big spider.

Silver Surfer is definitely worth a look. Mike Allred is probably my favourite artist and the book is just a bunch of fun.

Seriously? I love Dan Slott's writing, but I didn't care at all for the Marvel NOW run. I think it's just not what I'm looking for in a Silver Surfer comic.

In other news, if anyone isn't reading Magneto right now, I don't know what's wrong with you. Such a good series, arguably the best Marvel NOW running at the moment.

Silver Surfer is definitely worth a look. Mike Allred is probably my favourite artist and the book is just a bunch of fun.

I actually just dropped this after #3 ... I love Allred and actually feel him doing a book set out in the Cosmos is perfect for him. Just not Surfer ... everything feels way to "Madman" (which I absolutely loved) for me and I just can't see Surfer in this manner. Were it not Surfer I'd dig it.

Just dropped Iron Man as well after #4.

Current pull box: All New Invaders, ASM, Astro City, Black Beetle (if it ever comes back), Bloodshot, Captain Midnight (debating keeping it going), Harbinger, Inhuman (not looking good to keep much longer), Magnus Robot Fighter, Miracle Man, Moon Knight, Rai, Solar, Uncanny Avengers, X-O Manowar

- All New Invaders, Harbinger, Astro City, and Uncanny Avengers are my current favorites.

I'll be giving both Dr Spektor and Dr Mirage a look ... and will be adding Winter Soldier (starting monthly again in October) ... Looking forward to "The Fade Out" from Image in August.

Can't wait to see what Archie Comics does with reviving the superhero characters when they re-launch in 2015 http://www.newsarama.com/21545-archie-reboots-superhero-line-as-dark-circle-comics-promises-creator-driven-stories.html No more Red Circle Comics, but rather Dark Circle Comics. Hope that means more Hangman and Black Hood type stuff.

Yeah, I bought the first issue on a whim when I was in Portland the other week as a thing I could read on the drive back home, and I loved it.

Yeah, I bought the first issue on a whim when I was in Portland the other week as a thing I could read on the drive back home, and I loved it.

It always confuses me when people say they picked up a comic for a trip. Like, does a comic really last you that long if it's not a TPB? A single comic for me is done after 10 minutes at most.

It always confuses me when people say they picked up a comic for a trip. Like, does a comic really last you that long if it's not a TPB? A single comic for me is done after 10 minutes at most.

It doesn't, but it's also not the only thing I brought. It's just an ideal time to read it.

• Like 1