The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I'm about 1/4 through my Civil War read through and it's pretty damn good so far. The only things I've found a little subpar have been Thunderbolts and X-Factor. X-Men in general is a bit of a mess but that was to be expected after Decimation.

Still, the Spider-Man arc is really good, Wolverine has been a lot better than expected, Cable & Deadpool is ten whole butt loads of fun and Frontline has been a surprising highlight. Reading all of it chronologically really adds to the main book as well, really gives it a whole lot more padding and makes the pacing a lot less jarring.

Man, the latest issue of Batman Eternal was so bad. For the past issue or two it's stopped feeling like the gritty detective story it started out as, and it's just super camp now. A Hong Kong Batman? With a guy who reads tea leaves? Come on now.

I made the decision that since my X-Men marathon has now brought me near to big crossover territory I should probably read some other stuff for completeness, so I've started Spiderman from the beginning. It's jarring, and I forgot how wordy the early stuff is so it takes ages.

Best moment so far is Spiderman finding a cure for the Lizard in about five minutes with nothing but GCSE chemistry to fall back on. "If this liquid turns green it'll work. Yeah!".

So, very soon, I will have a copy of X-Men #1 from 1963 to go along side my Giant Size X-Men #1!

Fuck yeah! From not collecting at all a year and a half ago to having the two most important books in X-Men history. I'm pretty stoked. My copy of X-Men #1 probably grades at a 2.0, but I'm getting it at a fantastic price. I'm pumped!

• Like 2

So, very soon, I will have a copy of X-Men #1 from 1963 to go along side my Giant Size X-Men #1!

Fuck yeah! From not collecting at all a year and a half ago to having the two most important books in X-Men history. I'm pretty stoked. My copy of X-Men #1 probably grades at a 2.0, but I'm getting it at a fantastic price. I'm pumped!

Awesome.

I have a shit copy of ASM #1 (1.8) but I got it at about half of it's value and I got ASM #1!!!!!!!!!! Cover is in good shape for the grade so I jumped on it.

There's a few more books like this that I've got stashed at my local shop that he allows me to layaway on our own agreement (being a regular has perks).

Awesome.

I have a shit copy of ASM #1 (1.8) but I got it at about half of it's value and I got ASM #1!!!!!!!!!! Cover is in good shape for the grade so I jumped on it.

There's a few more books like this that I've got stashed at my local shop that he allows me to layaway on our own agreement (being a regular has perks).

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about condition. Just having a copy is enough for me!

Also, I'm getting a bit of a discount because I work at the comic store.

Edited by Toe

I would love to own ASM 1. Totally out of the price range I can justify spending on comics though :(

I was in that camp as well. My local shop got the 1.8 in a trade with other stuff he was specifically looking for, and called me up wanting to know if I wanted to try and work something on it. I had a good amount of store credit built up (I do trades and help him track stuff down all the time) and he does special holds for me. If it weren't for those two things, I'd not have been able to get it. Still though, I only ended up paying about half to 3/4 of price guide value TOTAL with trade included.

It took me a while to do it, but holy balls was it worth it.

I'm aiming for Iron Man #1 next probably, but will be looking for a 7.5 or better

There art in All New Ultimates is killing me. I can't tell Kitty, Jessica or Bombshell apart when they're out of costume. I have to wait till someone uses a name to understand any conversation between them. When they were on the beach I thought Bombshell was Kitty and Jessica was Bombshell till they started really talking and dropping details. The art in Ultimate FF isn't much better but at least I can tell everyone apart.

There is no Ultimate X-Men book right now, right?

There art in All New Ultimates is killing me. I can't tell Kitty, Jessica or Bombshell apart when they're out of costume. I have to wait till someone uses a name to understand any conversation between them. When they were on the beach I thought Bombshell was Kitty and Jessica was Bombshell till they started really talking and dropping details. The art in Ultimate FF isn't much better but at least I can tell everyone apart.

There is no Ultimate X-Men book right now, right?

Yeah, the art on both books is pretty awful, and I too prefer Ultimate FF's (or rather, the lesser of two evils).

As far as I know, the only Ultimate books out there right now are Ultimates, FF and Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man.

The way The Avengers treat Cyclops currently is ridiculous when Scarlet Witch is standing there with them. Apparently "I wasn't in my right mind" is an acceptable excuse for nearly driving a race to extinction but "There was a cosmic god-like being in my body(That The Avengers were responsible for forcing into me) corrupting me and my mind" is just something they blow off.

Got a pretty sweet find earlier this week in a box from the flea market.

Thor 134 (first High Evolutionary) 8

Werewolf by Night 1 8.5

Tales of Suspense 63 (1st silver age cap origin) 7-7.5

Marvel Super-Heroes 12 (first app captain marvel) 5-5.5

AND X-MEN 12 (first Juggernaut) 6

other Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish books as well. Got the box for 124$

• Like 1

So I'm caught up on Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men, All New X-Men and Uncanny Avengers. Any other current Marvel books really good? I sampled GotG during the crossover with All New X-Men and wasn't much into it. I'm thinking next I'm going to read Superior Spider-Man as a starting point for getting into "current" non-Ultimate Spidey books but I'm open to more current Marvel.

Edited by Kirkland

So I'm caught up on Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men, All New X-Men and Uncanny Avengers. Any other current Marvel books really good? I sampled GotG during the crossover with All New X-Men and wasn't much into it. I'm thinking next I'm going to read Superior Spider-Man as a starting point for getting into "current" non-Ultimate Spidey books but I'm open to more current Marvel.

Give Captain Marvel, She-Hulk and Daredevil a shot, they're really good right now and are what? Only 5 issues in each or something like that?

• Like 1

I'm still going through my Spiderman marathon, and at the risk of some kind of blasphemy (no idea on public opinion of these things), the rise in quality once Romita takes over from Ditko in 39 is ridiculous. I've gone from enduring to actually enjoying over the course of two issues.

One thing I am always impressed by though through the course of this and my X-Men read through is that even though a lot of the early stories are a bit naff (new baddy, weird method to defeat new baddy, repeat), the characters are all there. Over the course of a few years in the 60s they've stuck in a huge amount of characters who are still key to this day, just the first year of Spiderman introduces all the main supporting characters bar Mary Jane, plus most of his modern day rogues gallery. There's the odd few that are obviously going to be forgotten plus a few gangster types set to be replaced by the Kingpin etc later on, but Chameleon, Vulture, Doc Ock, Sandman, Lizard, Electro, Mysterio, Kraven and Green Goblin all appear pretty much fully formed in the first year or so.

Werewolf by Night 1 8.5

Nice pickup. What condition are they in?

Werewolf by Night 1 8.5

Nice pickup. What condition are they in?

The grades I'd give them (going to the shop this weekend to get a bit better look at 'em) are what I put at the right.

At a 5 to a 6 the X-Men 12 pays for the box and then some.