The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Depends how much you really wanted an Ultron event. It's pretty boring for the most part. I always felt like I'd be much more interested in reading the actual fall of the world, rather than the aftermath.

If you're really hard up for an Ultron story, just read Annihilation: Conquest. Or if you've already read it, read it again, because Marvel Cosmic is the best Marvel.*

In other news, Kelly Sue Deconnick's Captain Marvel is wonderful. Pretty much everything I've been wanting from Carol Danvers for a while now.

*Unless Ed Brubaker is writing Captain America, Matt Fraction is writing Hawkeye or it's a Spider-Man comic with "Superior" in the title. Then there's a little room for debate. Not much though.

Holy shit Final Crisis might be the most boring, goofy thing ever. I was reading earlier about how the events of the first Infinite Crisis were to pretty much jam all the different continuitys of each DC comic into one... and holy shit, has that ever shown through out their entire fucking run of writing.

There's a lot of good elements to DC. But oh man, the sheer amount of fucking garbage...

The sad part is that I really want to get into DC, but they don't make it easy at all. And believe me, I've tried to care about anything other than just the Bat-family related stuff.

It's just so fucking telling that in their big, universe changing event, of the upmost seriousness, in the moments after Batman dies, they show all of the Superman variations from different universes... and the two front and center are a giant rabbit and a huge pig.

I always thought New 52 was a little rough around the edges and wasn't sure how to combine all the different characters into the one world, but fuck me, it actually feels a lot smoother after checking out pre-52 DC.

That's really one area Marvel has always had them beat in. They can make it seem natural to have a WW2 Super Soldier fight alongside the Norse God of Thunder in New York city against an Alien race in the modern day. I read an issue of the Justice League and can't help but feel like everyone feels out of place.

Basically, the moment I learned that there were going to be more Crisises after Final Crisis I was like "oh my god, they're just desperate" and started shifting towards my current habit of only buying smaller-scale comics and not bothering with major company-wide crossovers.

DC is pretty horrendous at big crossovers, and maintaining continuity between them. In contrast, shit from House of M and Civil War, events that started nearly 10 years ago, still have a degree of relevance in the Marvel universe.

Even the ones that don't change the world, they usually at least effect the core character in some way. Siege changed Loki completely and he's still not back to his regular self. AvX changed up the Mutant world... even the ones that don't really change anything are still just fun to read. Fear Itself is totally pointless in the grand scheme of things, but it's a fucking lot of fun.

Not that all DC Crossovers are terrible, I quite enjoy most Batman ones, whilst Flashpoint and Sinestro Corps Wars through Brightest Day are pretty good reading. But man, it's like they just don't really get how to organize these things.

Also, this panel had me laughing so hard I had to share:

4HILOev.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just to make sure everyone was clear previously, Thor: God of Thunder is wonderful. The more I read, the more I want to read.

Also holy crap, Malekith isn't boring in this one. Man, Thor: The Dark World did a terrible job of writing that guy.

So I decided to check out Batman Eternal. Only the first issue is out, but it's a really good one. Definitely will have me back to check out some more.

Also, yeah, major crossovers in DC are crazy confusing. Trying to read Trinity War now and I'm just, like, what is happening here?!

So I decided to check out Batman Eternal. Only the first issue is out, but it's a really good one. Definitely will have me back to check out some more.

Also, yeah, major crossovers in DC are crazy confusing. Trying to read Trinity War now and I'm just, like, what is happening here?!

If you're confused by Trinity War, wait until you get to Forever Evil (Trinity War is just the lead-in to FE). Not so much by the event itself, but by the sheer amount of tie-ins.

Just to make sure everyone was clear previously, Thor: God of Thunder is wonderful. The more I read, the more I want to read.

Also holy crap, Malekith isn't boring in this one. Man, Thor: The Dark World did a terrible job of writing that guy.

I'm sure I read apparently they cut a lot of Malekith's scenes. Maybe an uncut version might be on the DVD?

I'm sure I read apparently they cut a lot of Malekith's scenes. Maybe an uncut version might be on the DVD?

No uncut version exists, unfortunately.

Though, I wouldn't put it past Marvel to at some point re-release their films with the option of watching them sans-cuts. Not that I would complain. It just makes sense, because of the type of fans they have. There are so many of us that would re-purchase these films with extended cuts featuring the things that were omitted for time.

Been reading The Infinity Gauntlet. Really enjoyable stuff, which I should rattle off the rest of tonight.

Also read Year One and The Long Halloween over the past week.

Find it hard to commit to specific runs of multiple comics - the TPB/story arc concept makes it easier to dip and dip out.

Someone mentioned the 6 Marvel Cosmic Events, which I've got waiting on my computer following The Infinity Gauntlet. Have Infinity as well, but don't really fancy it.

Going to come to you guys for some tips. Christopher gave me some but more is always better. Going to list what I read and if you guys know anything kind of like it or a similar kind of thing I might like I would appreciate it. Maybe others can do the same if they want?

The Walking Dead

Saga

All New X-Men (because X-23 is in it)

She Hulk

Hawkeye

The Amazing Spider-Man (when it starts again)

Captain America

Red Sonja

I feel like if you like Saga you'd like Chew. Like Saga, it's funny and like Saga it's also pretty twisted and has a habit of killing off characters suddenly.