What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I pretty much agree with Zero that The Dark World is up there in terms of standalone Marvel films. I don't know, while there are some issues with it, it's just plain fun. I fully expect The Winter Soldier to surpass it and maybe even Iron Man, though.

The Avengers

Iron Man

Thor: The Dark World

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man 3

Iron Man 2

The Incredible Hulk

I'm super glad there's a general like for Captain America. It wasn't amazingly received on release but I kind of think it's the most interesting of the Marvel films. I think Iron Man oversaturation helped me love Thor and Cap way more, because they were just so different.

I didn't even see Cap in theaters since people were so negative, but I really regret that. I honestly don't know what people disliked about it, it's exactly what a Captain America origin story should've been.

Having recently re-watched it, I think it's a little clunky in places and the script is lacking a little in terms of captivating dialogue, but they did a fine job of creating an entertaining movie which was a good base for the character to go forward. Much like Thor, I thought it was a hard film to make, and it's clear that Hemsworth & Evans up their performances ten-fold in The Avengers where they have a better understanding of their characters and better material to work with. I felt Thor 2, while very entertaining, was let down by off pacing and a poor story. I've no doubt Captain America will be entertaining, just got a funny feeling it's gonna go a couple of steps beyond that.

Here's my list: http://letterboxd.com/benface/list/marvel-film-rankings/

Iron Man 2 was easily the worst of it, but that's actually not even a bad thing, because all the movies so far have been really great.

Also, as deserving as the Marvel Cinematic Universe is of their amount of praise here, the DC Animated Universe deserves just as much praise, I think. It puts out a ton of stuff, and they've mostly been fantastic. EWB needs to show more of their love for it too.

Also also,

Just watched it myself. For once, Cuntface is right. Awesome stuff.

Told you I liked good stuff :P and it's not the first time! :angry:

Fucking hell, Secrets & Lies is fantastic. Since I've made an effort to get into British Cinema, I've been waiting for a few films to really 'wow' me. This just did that and more. I love the way Mike Leigh constructs and shoots his films, and I'd recommend anyone with an interest in British Cinema bump this to the top of their watch list. This film, alongside The Wind That Shakes The Barley, have really changed how I think about and view film. Great stuff.

Elysium was cool, man. It wasn't the perfect Sci-Fi experience I was hoping for, but it'd probably rank on best Sci-Fi films of the decade. Kruger was great and overall it was just a great time. I couldn't help but feel like a siege of Elysium would've been more interesting to see, which is what the trailers kind of suggested to me, but what we got was great too.

And if this doesn't solidify Neill Blomkamp as a sure bet for the Mass Effect film (not that it'll ever happen), that's just plain silly. It's a shame Alan Taylor seems a sure lock for Terminator 5, too. If anyone could breathe life into the franchise, Blomkamp would be the guy.

Basically, give him all the Sci-Fi franchises.

Maybe my skepticism created pretty low expectations but damn, The Wolverine was pretty damn great. I'm definitely sold on Mangold continuing to do his thing.

I really hate the credits scene though because it's raising my expectations for Days of Future Past and I'm not sure I want that what with Singer directing and all.

I liked Elysium, too. I went in with slightly lowered expectations because of some of the reviews, but I got an entertaining, and occasionally thought-provoking, Sci-fi film which boasted a very credible and frightening villain. I agree it was far from perfect, but I enjoyed it, and didn't really pay much attention to the supposed politics of the film.

On the other hand, I went into The Wolverine with higher expectations and came out horribly disappointed. I felt it was far too long and there wasn't any depth in any of the supporting characters, whatsoever. Will we get another Wolverine after this? I guess I'm opposite to you on this one and would like to see another director have a crack.

Wolverine fell apart in the end, for me. It's a ton of fun to watch Logan in Japan and the culture shock stuff, but the actual final villain and fight scene didn't do anything for me. Especially the whole claw chopping off moment. Just didn't see the point in it when you just know it'll be reversed the second he appears in another comic. I'm down with Mangold having another crack at a solo Wolverine story, though. I liked the majority of the film.

But then this is one of the few times me and Livid disagree as I'm super psyched for Singer to return to the franchise that he did a wonderful job of. And for as much as I like First Class, I felt like it was less well put together than X2 or X-Men.

Yeah, it was reported like a week ago that Mangold was returning for another Wolverine movie since it's now the second highest grossing X-Men film, thanks to a healthy foreign take.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/james-mangold-hugh-jackman-sinking-claws-into-another-the-wolverine-film/

Yes, we definitely disagree on Singer. You seem to have rose-colored glasses simply because it's X-Men while I'm not willing to just ignore his output over the last 10 years. :P

Oh I know he's done nothing but trash outside of that and Usual Suspects, but X2 warranted enough good faith for me.

I mean at the end of the day, it's got Michael Fassbender AND Ian McKellen. If it's shit I'll just enjoy their faces for two hours.

To be honest, my displeasure with Singer taking over is rooted more in my disappointment that Vaughn wasn't able to follow-up First Class. He set the stage for what he wanted to do and it's disappointing to me that he won't be able to expand on it. It'd be like if Tim Burton came back to do The Dark Knight after Nolan did Batman Begins.