What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I think the characterisation let it down for me on Bullock's part. I don't really know what it was - I mean I thought it was a great experience and all, but I don't feel like I ever connected to her character, just the situation she was in. I thought Clooney came across better in some aspects.

Also,

The part about her daughter did kind of feel shoe-hored in.

Good stuff, I just think the hype worked against it in my case.

Jimmy:

I don't think it was shoehorned in. By having the dead daughter aspect, they are showing Sandra Bullock's loneliness extending beyond her current situation. I thought her increasing ability to cope with this, going from "just driving" to being able to crash land on the remotest part of Earth and walk again made her very endearing and engaging.

While I wouldn't call Escape Plan the surprisingly emphatic return to Sly/Arnie's 80s films like others have, it's still a fun action film. Which is good because I won't have to throw out my promotional Escape Plan shirt and cap now out of disgust.

I'm not kidding by the way. I won all sorts of Red State merchandise I promptly threw out after I actually saw the film.

Man of Steel was not as bad as people said, nor as good as other people said.

I thought the totally backwards way of doing an origin story was creative and interesting, but the movie was way too dreary, way too Nolan-ized and just not fun.

• Like 1

Watched Life of Pi last night, was alright. It looked very pretty, and the actual 'on a boat with a tiger' stuff was interesting, but I found the rest of it quite dull and the ending inconclusive and anticlimactic. There barely seemed to be any point of Rafe Spalls character given his lines were pretty much 'carry on with your story', and 'ooh, that's a good story'.

I watched a Dutch zombie comedy film last night called Zombibi. It was alright, would have probably enjoyed it more if I spoke Dutch and knew who all the random Dutch celebrities that popped up during it were.

I also watched the non-Romero version of Day of the Dead - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489018/

which was actually pretty good, although the zombies were too fast paced for my liking.

• Like 1

So, I didn't think I was going to like the new Hunger Games on account of not liking the first one, but man, am I surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's better in everyone way; character development, action, depth. Plus Phillip Seymour Hoffman's it, so that's always good. Even for people who didn't dig the first, I'd say go see this one.