What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I saw this on Saturday, but as a health warning: Transcendence is REALLY disappointing. I expected a lot more from Wally Pfister as he was the cinematographer on Chris Nolan's films, but it's clear he doesn't know how to properly assemble and pace a narrative yet - emphasising on Depp 'transcending' way too long, butcompletely neglecting the somewhat interesting rebellion group headed by Kate Mara. The only thing Pfister's learnt from Nolan is how to severely underwrite the women characters.

I know I have a reputation as a 'film snob' around here, but I seriously recommend skipping Transcendence at the cinema. Not a god-awful film, just gutting.

Saying that, I'd also skip The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Loved Captain America 2 and Noah though. Noah was batshit. Who'd have guessed Darren Aronofsky's 'deep end' and 'going off it' involved the Bible?

I know it's supposed to take a lot of liberties with the biblical story of Noah and that's irritated some Christians and the like.

How is Noah batshit? Like, good batshit crazy, or "what the fuck is this i don't even" batshit crazy? >_>

Technically, both! He's managed to make a dumb blockbuster, arthouse film, and psychological thriller all in one out of a thousands year old story. It shouldn't work, but it is just does - hitting the emotional and the absurd moments right. If Emma Watson was actually a good actress, I would've cried at one point. It was close.

I watched Colombiana, Dredd, and Jeff, Who Lives at Home yesterday. All were pretty good movies. Jeff, Who Lives at Home hit a little too close to home >_>, and I preferred Dredd to Colombiana, but felt both were really solid action movies. Plus, Zoe Saldana is pretty sexy, so, yeah.

I really hope a second Judge Dredd movie gets made. I know Karl Urban wants to do one, and the first one was really cool.

Trailer Park Boys: Don't Legalize It

Pretty entertaining. Felt like a race to the finish with the last 30/45 minutes, though. I was hoping for something more memorable out of J-Roc, too, his lines didn't go over too well.

Othello

Really enjoying what I've seen of Kenneth Branagh's Shakespearean films. Was surprised at how many lines were omitted, though. Very entertaining overall, and Branagh and Laurence Fishburne were very good.

Just watched Kick Ass 2, Hunger Games - Catching Fire, and Last Stand.

Kick Ass 2 was a really solid movie. I enjoyed it through-out, and now want to be a superhero, on the condition that I get to hang out with Night Bitch. Honestly, the superhero/villain names in that movie were awesome. The Motherfucker, Night Bitch, Mother Russia, Genghis Carnage. Good stuff.

Catching Fire was good. I haven't read the corresponding book yet (picked it up at the library today, mostly because of the movie), so I can't compare, but I enjoyed it. I'm the type of guy who tears up pretty easily at emotional stuff, and I did during the visit to, Rue, I think that's her name, the little black girl from the first movie, well, anyway, the scene where they go to her home sector got to me.

Last Stand was just popcorn fun. It's not really anything special, but if you want something mindless, with lots of shooting and cars, to watch, then this fits the bill.

Just watched Dune for the first time. Even having read all of the main books (admittedly a few years back) I really struggled to follow the plot of the film, it was all over the place.

Caught The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Divergent double feature at the local drive-in. Spider-Man was pretty fun, but I couldn't help but come out of it thinking Jamie Foxx's performance was rather weak, as was Electro as a villain. Harry's role was rushed, but the on-screen chemistry between Garfield and Stone was pretty great and made their scenes work well. Diverent was... alright, I mean I've sat through worse movies my fiance wanted to watch.

Kids

I'd been meaning to watch this on YouTube for a while, but held it off until last night. Saw it on Rosario Dawson's filmography and it sounded pretty good. An interesting film. A lot darker than I imagined, and kept me hoping for some...twist where somebody got their just desserts :P The actor who played Telly was pretty terrible, but that kind of added to his dickhead character. Gave me some Menacie II Society vibes, but I couldn't get as into this one, might require another watch in a few days time.

Kids is Harmony Korine, right? His films are always pretty fucked up. Or at least the ones I've seen (Gummo, Kids assuming I'm thinking of the right guy) are.