What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

30 minutes into Tree of Life and it is boring the hell out of me. It's incredibly pompous and has given no reason to be. It's the kind of movie first year film students thing is arty and has shown no actual depth at all so far.

Edit: It went from pompous and boring to just boring.

Edit 2: This review sums up my feelings pretty much perfectly (not the worst movie ever made bit, but the reasoning for the dislike) - http://thesupremepancake.wordpress.com/2011/08/27/the-tree-of-life-is-the-worst-movie-ever-made/

Oblivion was meh. Visually pretty, but nothing special.

Just remember, some of us actually paid money to see that. :(

I'm also sure that's why a lot of people avoided EOT even though it was really good.

And I watched Boyhood last night. I'm the same age as the protagonist, so the nostalgia in the early parts of the film was fun. It was pretty good overall, and the concept was brilliant. Not my movie of the year or anything but very well done.

Oh, and saw Grand Budapest the night before as well. That movie was fucking awesome. Loved it.

• Like 1

Foxcatcher - absolutely brilliant. Brilliantly directed, incredible attention to detail, superbly acted by everybody to the point that you forget who you're watching. Amazing movie - almost makes me wish I didn't already know the story, as I can only imagine how shocking it could have seemed.
  • Like 1

Foxcatcher - absolutely brilliant. Brilliantly directed, incredible attention to detail, superbly acted by everybody to the point that you forget who you're watching. Amazing movie - almost makes me wish I didn't already know the story, as I can only imagine how shocking it could have seemed.

Echo all of this. Ruffalo and Carrell are sensational, and the film is just exactly what it should be. Quiet, dark, tense. One of the best shot film's I've seen in a long time.

• Like 1

Into The Woods is not nearly as funny or clever as it likes to think it is.

(these are actually proper spoilers btw)

It starts off telling four or five fairy tales in parallel. These go almost exactly to script as per the original stories, and then midway through the film they're at the "Happily Ever After...OR IS IT?" stage. So you can pretty much write off the first half of the movie as being rather paint-by-numbers.

But what actually happens after this?

- A (second) giant appears and shakes things about. It eventually gets killed, of course.

- Prince Charming kisses another woman and, in a thirty second scene, Cinderella flatly asks him "why did you stray" and he basically says "eh, charming is what I do" and wanders off. I presume that's a divorce then, is it?

- A very selective set of deaths quietly removes all guardian figures (Baker's wife, Jack's mum, Riding Hood's granny) - nearly all of which occur off-screen.

- Everyone who's left goes "eh, may as well live together then".

So what?

The whole Fairy Tales WITH A TWIIIIIST idea is done so often these days that I was expecting something more. Also, more humour and less very-long-scenes-of-singing-exposition.