What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Watched 2001: A Space Odyssey (as my 201st film - it's *nearly* numerically significant...!). I really liked it, and I wasn't expecting to because that can be diffiult when you see "the filmed that helped define a genre" after seeing everything that came after it in said genre...

I mean sure, the entire film could almost certainly have been done in one-third of the time. :shifty: But I made sure I wasn't in an impatient mindset when I started so that I could just sit back and absorb it. Meanwhile, Stokerina (who had seen it before) couldn't stand it for very long and gave up halfway through.

Started watching Community after being redirected to somewhere I can actually watch it by LD. Ten episodes in and I can see why it's popular.

Also, Alison Brie is just the cutest, you guys.

Finished Season 1. Netflix binges are the best.

I really like the show, surprised I hadn't seen it before now. Did it air in the UK?

I saw a few episodes on Sony tv or something equally obscure on Sky, not sure which seasons though.

The Incredible Hulk

Pretty cool to see Lou Ferrigno make a cameo and them working the sad Lonely Man music from the TV show into the movie. Odd that with all the steps that Banner takes to keep his location secret with the encrypted connection to the internet and code names for him and his friend, the guy still uses his work email which is easily traceable. That and it's pretty funny that this government agency ends up combing through every single email for the word 'blue'. Wasn't really a fan of Abomination, was cooler when he was just hopped up on the serum and fighting in more human form and going toe to toe with Hulk.

Harry and the Hendersons

You can see why this won an Oscar for best makeup, I mean, if you look past the more close up shots where Harry is smiling and looks really creepy. The Bigfoot looks really great but outside of that, it's just really dull. Not even John Lithgow can help it which is a shame after seeing two wild performances of his during Oct/Dec. Still a bit stunned at David Suchet AKA Poirot turning up as the hunter guy too.

Patriot Games

EWB Filmclub 3.0 film and I can't really say much more than I put in there, ehhhhhh. I don't know if this kind of thing happens in real life but I found IRA members going to train in the desert with some other terrorists. I'm just imaging some kind of terrorist super team or something. Lot of stuff really struck me as stupid here though. Like the lawyer for Sean Bean's character arguing that he was just an innocent bystander trying to help like Ford's character. I thought the story was gonna be him getting off and then going out for revenge and I was about to flip my shit if that was the defense that did it. Also, this crack team of highly intelligent government workers really thought that putting this fringe IRA groups two biggest targets under the same roof was a good idea? And I guess they only did it for the sake of creating a dramatic conclusion but why did Ford leave everyone on the beach and lure the terrorists out on the other? Surely it would have been better to just split the group between both boats and escape, not leave them cowering on a beach hoping the terrorists didn't turn around and spot them.

Airplane

Funny movie. With all the more prominent character's like Leslie Nielsen's doctor, the slightly campy guy in the tower Johnny stood out to me with a few funny lines towards the end of the movie. "Johnny, what can you make of this?" Well, I can make a hat, a broach, a pterodactyl..."

BASEketball

During Airplane I was scratching my head as to why I recognized the guy playing Rex Kramer. Then the next day I put this on for no particular reason and up he pops parodying his Unsolved Mysteries show. Really weirds me out when I do these odd coincidence things, like when I always talk about thinking of an episode of The Simpsons and it'll be on TV that night. Anyway, all the stuff setting up the sport and it's subsequent expansion is cool, as well as the climax. Just all the stuff with Yasmine Bleeth really drags it down. By all means nominate her for a Razzie but I think it was a bit harsh to nominate Jenny Mcarthy. The characters just a throwaway gold digging bimbo, not really a deep character or anything.

Captain America

Enjoyed this one more than Hulk, felt a little strange though how it builds up to these peaks a couple of times in the movie. Like, he manages to rescue all these soldiers and it feels like the grand finale and then you realise you still have an hour of movie left. Tiny, pipsqueak Chris Evans is really weird. Liked the stuff where he does undergo the transformation and then starts out as a propaganda piece before going off reservation to infiltrate the Hydra base. Laughed at the whole Hydra salute too. Hitler extends one arm? Fuck it, we'll do two!

The Producers

I really love the period at the start of the movie where Max is essentially courting Leo. Gets a little over the top with the screaming and what not but when they're out in the park and they emerge from the under the bridge and Leo has a balloon, that just slays me. I like the movie of the musical version adding to the 'story within a story' part but of course that one has Matthew Broderick so it's a bit of a trade off.

• Like 2

Started watching Community after being redirected to somewhere I can actually watch it by LD. Ten episodes in and I can see why it's popular.

Also, Alison Brie is just the cutest, you guys.

Finished Season 1. Netflix binges are the best.

I really like the show, surprised I hadn't seen it before now. Did it air in the UK?

Season 1 was on Viva, and that was it for a long while, until Sony TV became a thing and they just burned through the rest up to the end of Season 3 (iirc) and now they've kept it consistent if a very very long time after initial NBC airings

The Impossible had a very clunky start but it pulled through to a decent film by the end, although probably isn't worth a second watch. The child actors did surprisingly well whilst I have never been a fan of McGregor outside of Trainspotting.

Locke was great, wonderful performance from Tom Hardy, had to feel for Ivan Locke by the end of it. The guy that played Donal was good in support too.

Airplane

Funny movie. With all the more prominent character's like Leslie Nielsen's doctor, the slightly campy guy in the tower Johnny stood out to me with a few funny lines towards the end of the movie. "Johnny, what can you make of this?" Well, I can make a hat, a broach, a pterodactyl..."

"The fog's getting thicker" "and Leon's getting laaaaarger" has been part of me and my brothers lexicon for years. That and "Sluggish, like a wet sponge".

The Hurt Locker was very good, albeit in a "film I'll never care to watch again" kind of way.

Moral of the film: every bystander who waves at you in a friendly manner is a terrorist and wants you to die.

The good thing with this message is that taking it on board wouldn't really alter the level of suspicion I treat most people with already.

Silence of the Lambs was a let down. Hannibal (TV series, not the film) does everything about this film far better, and Mads is a better Lecter than the sometimes overly hammy Hopkins. Not a bad film, just doesn't live up to the hype, and the TV show is far better.