What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I think the best review I saw for Whiplash was here. "Holy shit."

It could do without the storyline with Nicole as it felt really underdeveloped and I'm sure they could've found something else to replace it. But man. Definitely in my top 2 with Birdman.

• Like 1

Foxcatcher, at last.

I think I took too long to watch it, felt disappointed by the end. Hyped it up too much in my head.

I know exactly what you mean.

And American Sniper bored the hell out of me.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was alright. The journey itself was fun, even if the final destination was tediously predictable.

Star Trek V is, for me, the pinnacle of Star Trek movies being able to be enjoyable even though they're a bit crap. From that point on, if they're crap, they're just crap whereas V is at least a bit fun in places. Plus, I've wanted to name a band "What Does God Need With A Starship?" for years.

I just watched Kingsman and it's bloody wonderful. Just really good fun, great action, the exact right amount of silliness, and superb performances from everybody involved.

• Like 1

Morvern Callar is pretty great, and manages to both stay true to and subvert the idea of British Realism to create something which is both kind of beautiful and an effective character-driven drama. It's nice to see I was wrong about Lynne Ramsay after being disappointed with Ratcatcher, and I look forward to finally seeing her adaptation of We Need To Talk About Kevin.