What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Birdman is fantastic and well worth of the praise it's receiving. Michael Keaton is outstanding and Norton's hysterical. The rest of the cast are really great, too. I really dug most of it, but it kind of faded a little at the end for me, but I think I need some time to think about that. A crazy ambitious film which is so good.

• Like 1

Jungle Book is meandering and, one or two standout songs aside, entirely unremarkable.

It's very much a product of its time, much like Peter Pan, where it just seems to be an excuse for a series of animated setpieces rather than a particularly strong narrative. The good songs in the Jungle Book are very good indeed, though.

I really like Hunchback, love the art style, the slightly darker edge than most Disney movies get, and the villain's song is superb - though probably not up there with Be Prepared, I must admit. I wouldn't say Gaston's is a great villain song per sé, but it's a great bit of braggadocio

Unbroken was alright. Well done but far from groundbreaking, and it kind of drags the further in you get,

American Sniper was fucking tense. It's been controversial due to how some feel about Chris Kyle, but regardless the movie fantastic. You could hear a pin drop leaving.

Since Whiplash, I've seen...

American Sniper, which I found to be boring American propaganda. Clint Eastwood tries to be Kathyrn Bigelow, and encounters the same problems: you can't give a 'neutral' account of war if Bradley Cooper is blatantly the good guy, and the bad guys are simply known as 'savages'.

Dear White People. The satire itself was decent (if about as subtle as a fart in a tuba factory), but the film is completely up its own arse.

The Wolf of Wall Street is still amazing.

The Guest is a fun (in a sadistic way) throwback thriller. Love the Drive-esque soundtrack. Dan Stevens does a fantastic job of being charismatic but clearly mental. Recommended.

I really disagree on Sniper. The story is told from Kyle's POV based on his book, of course he is going to be treated as the good guy. At the same time, there were moments where it's suggested Kyle was in the wrong, such as regarding his friend's letter and the savages comments. It's war, do you really think the guy's going to be politically correct? Yes, it lacks the typical Hollywood war is bad epiphany, but that's not the kind of guy Kyle was. It certainly doesn't make it propaganda. I didn't come out of it chanting USA and wanting to sign up for the Navy, although I do feel a degree of respect for the guy and his accomplishments.

Started watching Community after being redirected to somewhere I can actually watch it by LD. Ten episodes in and I can see why it's popular.

Also, Alison Brie is just the cutest, you guys.

Finished Season 1. Netflix binges are the best.

I really like the show, surprised I hadn't seen it before now. Did it air in the UK?

Foxcatcher was good with great performances all around. I think the parts may have been better than the sum. Very methodical pace. Not sure it's something I want to watch twice, but it was well made.