(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Anyone else seen the line-up for Damnation festival in Leeds on bonfire night?

Devin Townsend Project

Ulver

Godflesh

Decapitated

God is an Astronaut

Evile

amplifier

Doom

Turisas

Dragged into Sunlight

Shining

Altar of Plagues

A Man Called Catten (Performing Medulla Nocte)

Astrohenge

Xerath

Chthonic

Apparently there is still more to be announced - and it's only £29 plus booking fee!

Grand Magus, Conan, Cerebral Bore, A Forest of Stars, Humanfly, Talons and Illuminatus complete the line-up. For £29 this doesn't look bad at all.

I'd be all over this if there weren't so many other gigs and events going on in November.

Fuck it, I'm going to get tickets anyways. I'm sure I'll find a place to stay in Leeds about the time <_<

Yeah, for the money it pretty ridiculous the quality of artists they have attracted. I've just ordered tickets for timmayy and myself. This'll be my 4th festival this year (and his 5th!). I'm so poor :(

You can get a 3 person room in the Etap hotel in Leeds for about 12 quid each (this was about 18 months ago so the price may have changed slightly). That's a 2 minute walk from the city centre, you can probably get a hotel a bit cheaper if you stay a bit further out. Just a heads up (Y)

Anyway, yeah, the reason I came in was to ask if anyone's heard anything of Machine Head's new album apart from Locust? I'm looking forward to the new Machine Head album because I've not had a new heavy metal album to listen to in a while.

Cheers for the heads up. I think we're going to go to a Wetherspoons (The Hedley Verity) for a bit afterwards, then grab a taxi down to Kirkgate to get the 2am Megabus back to Sheffield.

Opeth is coming to town on Monday night.

I've heard a lot of good things, but missed them at Bonnaroo.

So... Monday night, should I shell out 30 something bucks?

Do you like them already? If so, it's a no brainer as they are (generally) bloody awesome live. If you don't know their stuff, but like other progressive death metal acts then I'd be tempted to tell you go anyway :)

I'm not familiar with them.

Here's a few tracks they are more likely to play. If you like them, then go:

Lotus Eater

The Grand Conjuration

Face of Melinda

Deliverance

I deliberately picked tracks from their last tour or so. Saying that, whilst Opeth usually stick to standard touring setlist, it's not unheard for them to switch out a few songs every now and then. Hope you enjoy them :)

New White Wizzard album dropped yesterday. It's pretty swish. If you liked Over the Top, then you'll like Flying Tigers :)

Iced Earth releasing a new album this October. (17 in Europe, 18 in US), and remixed Dante's Inferno with their new vocalist. Listening to the latter now and it's AMAZING. Better than the Barlow version? Yes.

Also, they're touring again... and not in the US. Siiiigh.

I've been listening to the new Dante's Inferno also. It is a very good version (better solos!), but Stu the new guy does get a little shouty where Barlow just sounded angry.

Nice to get something small to start up the hype. I remember they re-recorded the original Something Wicked trilogy with Owens for a single b-side before the release of Framing Armageddon. Not like I need the hype - the new album is an automatic purchase for me anyway.

... and I just got tickets to see them on December 1.

Lucky bastich.

I'm holding out hope that they are going to have an NA leg, as they said more dates are to come and that this is going to be their biggest tour ever. But yeah, definitely hyped. Between it just plain being Iced Earth, the addition of Stu Block, the overall theme, and that there are songs about Soylent Green and V for Vendetta? October 18 can't come soon enough.

I've never really been a Mastadon fan, but I'm giving that video a whirl. I've just finished Blasteroid. I think I really like Black Tongue. Curl of the Burl wasn't bad, if a little repetative. Blasteroid was fine. Stargasm is next...

For those interested, Bloodstock have announced four bands so far for next year's fest. I thought I'd put them here as its a tad (:P) early to start a thread for it.

So far announced -

Ronnie James Dio Stage: Anvil, Paradise Lost, Watain

Sophie Lancaster Stage: Orange Goblin

A nice selection of bands to start things off. :)

Orange Goblin are amazing live.

I remember seeing them at DL 07 on a whim and thinking they are very good.

Healing Through Fire was one of my favourite albums of 2007. "Vagrant Stomp" and "The Ballad of Solomon Eagle", all day 'urryday.

• 2 weeks later...

I preordered it (the "deluxe" digipak with 13 tracks). There are a couple other versions, too, like this giant superfan version with a bunch of stuff in it, but it's way too expensive and I don't even have a vinyl player for the LP that comes along.

EDIT: I'm talking about the new Iced Earth. I meant to quote OctRaven. Whatever, one more week to wait.

Edited by lari

I preordered the deluxe version + T-shirt myself, but yeah, the 18th can't come soon enough.

The package came today in the mail. I was damn excited. I opened it. Packing list and bill verify that it is indeed Iced Earth's Dystopia. I shake the envelope to get the CD out.........

and....

there it is! There it....

0000821929_350.jpg

FUCK

I don't know what the hell that is supposed to be, some Swedish slager music? Damn those assholes at cdon.com.

I already wrote them and they apologised and are sending the Iced Earth digipak. But that means I have to wait more. And I was so pumped. ARGH!