(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

From Metallica.com

A few months ago our own Kirk Hammett hinted at a new Metallica project that's "not really 100 percent a Metallica record." While Kirk may have jumped the gun a little (and has since been properly punished with a series of push-ups!), we are more than proud to announce that we have just completed recording a full length album that is a collaboration with none other than the legendary Lou Reed.

Ever since we had the pleasure of performing with Lou at the 25th Anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at Madison Square Garden in October of 2009, we have been kicking around the idea of making a record together. Some of you astute Bay Area residents may have picked up news of recent Lou Reed sightings in the greater San Francisco area and we have indeed been working at our home studio at HQ on and off over the last few months. In what would be lightning speed for a Metallica related project, we recorded ten songs during this time and while at this moment we're not exactly sure when you'll hear it, we're beyond excited to share with you that the recording sessions wrapped up last week.

A true innovator and easily one of the most influential songwriters, musicians, and performers in rock music history, Lou's work with the Velvet Underground and as a solo artist has such an enduring quality that he has long been revered and respected by us and many of our peers. We can't wait for you to listen to the finished record, so as we like to hear ourselves say around here, keep watching this spot for updates . . . we'll be back with more details as they come together.

Holy shit, that's quite random. Can't wait for this.

EDIT: Also two songtitles from Rolling Stone article.

The result is at once unpredictable and viciously tight. "Pumping Blood" opens with a drone that breaks into a crunching march, goes into speed-metal gear and breaks into free-fall sections – all over seven minutes, cut live in one take. Another track, "Mistress Dread," features Reed singing across a relentless staccato riff played at manic velocity. "It doesn't feel like we're his backup band," Hammett claims. "It feels like we're a different band, in a situation we've never been in before." And, Trujillo notes, "it's making us a better band."

Edited by The Sandman

• 3 weeks later...

So yeah, why hasn't anyone quipped in about Devin Townsend's Deconstruction? It is mad epic, I love it. All the guest musicians, the SYL callbacks, the Ziltoid appearances, I mean this is the absolute extreme of Devin's musical madness.

So yeah, why hasn't anyone quipped in about Devin Townsend's Deconstruction? It is mad epic, I love it. All the guest musicians, the SYL callbacks, the Ziltoid appearances, I mean this is the absolute extreme of Devin's musical madness.

I intend to get both albums. Have you got Ghost too?

Yup, preordered them and everything, got them both in slipcase covers with a t-shirt and patch too. Wouldn't be a true Devin fanatic if I didn't.

Nice. What's it like?

Well, it has Fredrik Thordendal from Meshuggah, Joe Duplantier from Gojira, Tom Giles from Between The Buried And Me, Oderus Urungu from GWAR and a bunch of others and it has songs ranging from four minutes to 16 minutes and it just a sonic explosions upon sonic explosion and it has lyrics about cheeseburgers and oh my god, it is awesome and hilarious and definetely one of his better albums in years.

I have been, I have been. I got bored and looked up "List Of Groove Metal Bands" on Wikipedia. I saw the name Gojira, and knew I had to listen to them. First song I found on Youtube? In The Wilderness. Load was blown, pants were jizzed.

Although I wouldn't define them as groove metal in any way shape or form, wahtever works for you is fine. Their newest album, The Way Of All Flesh is also really good. My favorite though, is still The Link. Find the song 'Indians' on YouTube, great song.

Yeah, they're not Groove Metal at all, but they're on the list. I grabbed their discog, and I love all of it, but Mars To Sirius is definitely my favorite.

I'm also loving me some WASP right now. <evades taunting and namecalling>

Am I weird for liking most of Acid Bath's demo cuts more than their album cuts?

Nope. The Agents of Oblivion stuff is better in demo-version too. All of his work is just generally better in a stripped down, more raw style.