(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Revisiting Jex Thoth on the basis of seeing them live this weekend; their self-titled is honest to get one of the most emotional doom metal album I have ever listened to. Jessica's vocal are just so overpowering and mixed with the Black Sabbath worshipping guitars, it is just a great motherfucking record; definitely one of my favorite releases, if not the favorite, of 2008.

Manowar UK & Ireland tour dates:

Nov 1 - 02 Academy, Glasgow

Nov 4 - 02 Academy, Leeds

Nov 5 - Brixton Academy, London

Nov 6 - The Great Hall, Cardiff

Nov 9 - The Academy, Dublin

Nov 10 - Mandella Hall, Belfast

I *really* need to see if Leeds/London is viable.

Personally, I'm really enjoying the new Opeth. It's very retro prog.

So, metal? All times I'd go...

Metallica

Pantera

...and maybe Killswitch, on the strength of Harold Jones' voice and organization...

...or maybe Down, cause Anselmo and Pepper Keenan do it for me and I like bluesy root metal.

Right now tho, it's all about Iwrestledabearonce. Dope ass name. Dope ass arrangements. I like weird shit.

Totally gonna get some down on the pod tho.

Speaking of Opeth, what does everyone think of the new song, The Devil's Orchard

So I haven't listened to this song before today because eh, I am not the biggest Opeth fan. But that is a weird song; they decided to do what Mastodon did two years ago and then construct such a formless proggy melody; bang, bang, bang, going on, we are playing prog, "God is dead!", stop and fade. I was going, "Wait, it's over?", as Åkerfeldt suddenly faded out. I am a fan of prog in many forms though so I'll probably end up checking out the album itself but that song sure doesn't speak a good cause for it.

Nothing new, or even newsworthy, but I've been really getting back into Moonsorrow lately. I discovered that some awesome bastard had uploaded this:

Anyone else like them? I know they are quite a unique band and acquired taste.

• 2 weeks later...

In other news, my latest musical obession is While Heaven Wept. Epic progressive doom sang by a power metal singer? Yes please!

Nothing new, or even newsworthy, but I've been really getting back into Moonsorrow lately. I discovered that some awesome bastard had uploaded this:

Anyone else like them? I know they are quite a unique band and acquired taste.

Yeah, Moonsorrow is awesome. They really define the word 'epic'. One of the finest bands from my country! :)

Anybody excited about the upcoming Metallica/Lou Reed collaborative album? Pretty interesting to hear what sort of stuff they've recorded...