(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

X-Japan have just announced a one-off show in London in late June.

I sooooo need to go!

...damn it! I wish I could justify another trip away for that, but I probably won't be able to take the time off work, and the present Lady Skumfrog certainly won't. That sucks.

Ordered my ticket for X-Japan yesterday! \\m// ( (><) ) \\m//

Apparently they sold out inside a day. It's not surprising considering the venue only holds 800 and it's X-J's debut show. They have subsequently upgraded the show to the Shepherd's Bush Empire (which holds more than twice that) due to the demand.

• 1 month later...

Marduk's new EP, "Iron Dawn", leaked. And it fucking slays. Like an updated take on the take-no-prisoners style of "Panzer Division Marduk", with a more muddled and evil-sounding production. And Mortuus being awesome as hell, as he is wont to do. Highly recommended if aggressive black metal tickles your fancy at all.

edit: SRN go eat a bowl of dick :angry:

Edited by Bushmeister

Alestorm's new album has dropped - and it's quality.

Oh, and if you get the limited edition version, you get this as one of the bonus tracks.

Oh, and if you get the limited edition version, you get this as one of the bonus tracks.

I'm heavily leaning toward picking the album up, after watching the video for "Shipwrecked" on Youtube a few times. (I have it and the video for "Keelhauled" favorited on there) It doesn't drop in the U.S. until the 14th, though.

How is Opeth live? I've only seen them on DVD or pro-shot YouTube videos, and it's always quality. I'll be seeing them live next week, just wondering what to expect, if it'll be heavy on the Cookie Monster vocals, etc. Apparently, their new album isn't going to have any of that on there, so...

How is Opeth live? I've only seen them on DVD or pro-shot YouTube videos, and it's always quality. I'll be seeing them live next week, just wondering what to expect, if it'll be heavy on the Cookie Monster vocals, etc. Apparently, their new album isn't going to have any of that on there, so...

I've seen Opeth live four times (Download 09, Bloodstock 10, on the Prog Nation tour with Dream Theater, as well as the Royal Albert Hall gig that was recorded for DVD) and never been disappointed. Their 'weakest' performance was Bloodstock, but only due to Mikael having a cold, so he had to take it easy on the growling vocals in the first half of the set (though he 'went for it' in the second half anyway).

Normally they'll play 1 track from Damnation (their 'non-death metal' album), though if that is the direction for the new album they might throw another in, or even a new track. Of the heavier stuff, they often play Lotus Eater and Demon of the Fall. The rest of the set is usually made up of what they decide to include on that particular tour.

tl;dr - Yes, they fucking rock.

I'm heavily leaning toward picking the album up, after watching the video for "Shipwrecked" on Youtube a few times. (I have it and the video for "Keelhauled" favorited on there) It doesn't drop in the U.S. until the 14th, though.

It's definitely worth it. It's better than their first album, and probably better than their second. Unlike previous albums, their weak tracks are still decent on this one. If you want a couple of tracks to YouTube to see how you feel about the album (in addition to the singles they've put out), then I'd go for The Sunk'n Norwegian, Rum, and Death Throes of the Terrorsquid - the latter of which has guest vocals from Abigail Williams' frontman. (Yes, there is a black metal influence on part of that song).

It's definitely worth it. It's better than their first album, and probably better than their second. Unlike previous albums, their weak tracks are still decent on this one. If you want a couple of tracks to YouTube to see how you feel about the album (in addition to the singles they've put out), then I'd go for The Sunk'n Norwegian, Rum, and Death Throes of the Terrorsquid - the latter of which has guest vocals from Abigail Williams' frontman. (Yes, there is a black metal influence on part of that song).

Thanks for that info. I'll definitely check those songs out when I have time.

I've seen Opeth live four times (Download 09, Bloodstock 10, on the Prog Nation tour with Dream Theater, as well as the Royal Albert Hall gig that was recorded for DVD) and never been disappointed. Their 'weakest' performance was Bloodstock, but only due to Mikael having a cold, so he had to take it easy on the growling vocals in the first half of the set (though he 'went for it' in the second half anyway).

Normally they'll play 1 track from Damnation (their 'non-death metal' album), though if that is the direction for the new album they might throw another in, or even a new track. Of the heavier stuff, they often play Lotus Eater and Demon of the Fall. The rest of the set is usually made up of what they decide to include on that particular tour.

tl;dr - Yes, they fucking rock.

Sweet, I think their set is at sunset on Friday afternoon, so it sounds like the perfect show :wub:

http://www.myspace.com/beastinthefield

These dudes are heavy as fuck live. I saw them open for Black Dahlia Murder on friday, and they were easily the heaviest band of the 3 that played before TBDM. It's just a chugging, loud-as-fuck wall of sound and I fucking loved every minute of it.

TBDM were awesome as well, but man, Beast In The Field ripped shit up. At one point, the guitarist - there's only two guys in the band, a guitarist and a drummer - came over to the guy's drumkit and was headbanging on a cymbal while he played. It was fucking awesome.

Kind of like the time when I saw Bison BC open and they were better than everyone else behind them... including headliner High on Fire who were pretty solid themselves.

Friday afternoon Bonnaroo metal stage:

Graveyard

Kylesa

The Sword

Opeth

I see the Opeth discussion above after Tristy asked. I have the last Sword album, which was alright. Comments on that block though?

Not sure how much of that I'd actually see though. Might rest up at camp during the afternoon to prepare for a late night run. That and The Decemberists are playing at most of the same time as Opeth. (Only at Roo does one get conflicts like that...)

I've been told Graveyard is a really good up and coming metal band, and Kylesa are supposed to be pretty good as well. I might get to see some of Graveyard, but no way am I staying all day at one tent. Too many other things to do, but I'll be there for Opeth, most definitely.