Doctor Who

Benji

Is Santa giving out tangerines a British thing, or something they just made up for the episode? Because in the U.S. the only thing he's known for giving out regularly is coal to bad kids. And why only 3 reindeer?

Thought Nick Frost did a really good job as Santa, but it wasn't the best or worst Christmas special that they've done. I didn't like them giving us multiple possible exits for Clara, only for us to find out that she's sticking around. Hopefully she does leave during or after next season. And I hope that unless they somehow resurrect him that this was the last we've seen of Mr. Pink.

Also, why did the guy have to be the victim that died?

Edited by GhostMachine

Is Santa giving out tangerines a British thing, or something they just made up for the episode? Because in the U.S. the only thing he's known for giving out regularly is coal to bad kids. And why only 3 reindeer?

I've never come across the tangerines thing but my Christmases have never been anything special or all that big on tradition.

Thought Nick Frost did a really good job as Santa, but it wasn't the best or worst Christmas special that they've done. I didn't like them giving us multiple possible exits for Clara, only for us to find out that she's sticking around. Hopefully she does leave during or after next season. And I hope that unless they somehow resurrect him that this was the last we've seen of Mr. Pink. It seemed odd for their to be so many insinuations that Clara was leaving only for it to be brushed away and staying for another season. I thought the swiftly made pointless "Clara's old" scene became insulting when she essentially said "thank god I'm not old anymore" in the next scene.

Also, why did the guy have to be the victim that died? Why not him? I'm intrigued

I'm in general agreement that it wasn't the worst but my expectations for the Xmas specials are even lower than during the regular series. I'll just go back to hoping that the next series isn't underwhelming like I always do only to be disappointed again and again.

Also, why did the guy have to be the victim that died?

Does that matter? At all?

Rainiac; I wouldn't read too much into the "Magician" line. The Doctor's been called that a few times, it's a running Capaldi joke about his coat making him look like a magician.

I actually quite enjoyed this episode, and didn't expect to at all. A very Moffat concept - he's at his best when writing monsters that play on basic human fears, and are based on perception, stuff like the Weeping Angels and the Silence, and the crabs fit that dynamic. Nick Frost was a lot of fun, the one-off characters were as cookie-cutter Moffat as usual (the wacky one! the strong-willed female soldier!) but actually reasonably likeable, and they pulled off what could have been a silly concept very well.

I actually grew to like Clara a lot more last series - aside from how inconsistently she was written - so don't mind her sticking around, but I actually would have loved it if her as an old woman was how she was written out, it would have been kind of tragic, but nice that she got to live a full life regardless, and it's in keeping with the Doctor's recent habit of losing track of time between visits. I liked dream Danny's line of "I didn't die saving the world, I died saving Clara and the rest of you got lucky".

And, yeah, I agree that we need that to be the last we see of Danny Pink beyond possibly a cameo in Clara's final episode.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I liked Ecclestone as the Doctor, but disliked RTD's storytelling. So I spent that first of the "new" run very confused indeed. Except for the Empty Child (Moffat) which is still one of the best of these last ten years.

The Long Game was my favourite RTD of the series, just for the set-up and the mysterious promotion upstairs.

In fact, this has probably been done before in the thread but who wants to list their favourite ten or so episodes from Ecclestone onwards?

I'm pretty unoriginal (and also more interested in creepiness and setting than in lore and building overarching storylines) so I'm going with (in series order):

The Empty Child (S1)

The Impossible Planet (S2)

Rise of the Cybermen (S2)

Blink (S3)

The Impossible Astronaut (S6)

Night Terrors (S6)

The God Complex (S6)

Listen (S8)

Time Heist (S8)

Mummy on the Orient Express (S8)

Didn't watch series 4 (moving to Japan so didn't watch much of anything at the time). Much worth watching?

• Like 1

The Sontaren Strategem, Sience in the Library and The Poison Sky were all series 4 right?

As someone who isnt a big fan of nuWho I rate those stories that really stood out to me which are the following

S1: Dalek

S1: The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

S2: The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit

S3: Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks

S3: Blink

S7: Asylum of the Daleks

S8: Time Heist

S8: Mummy on the Orient Express

As a whole I'd argue the only seasons as a whole that I found any interest in was the first and last, the ones in the middle seemed to be more faff with an interesting episode here and there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...