General Television Thread

Hellfire

In the sense that it definitely can't hurt but it depends on the network. For example, The CW is much more likely to consider a show's social media impact in their renewal considerations because their target demo of teenagers have a larger presence and desire to engage with the show on that platform. On the flip side, CBS doesn't strike me as being as interested in the social media presence of NCIS fans.

Also, Nic Pizzolatto (True Detective) gave an interview stating that there won't be any occult themes in season 2 of the show, nor will it have the "gothic" feel that season 1 did because he feels it doesn't fit the California setting. Second season's going to have a more linear structure as well, since he's working with more characters this time around.

I'm cautiously optimistic because I think Pizzolatto proved himself with season 1, but at the same time I'm slightly worried about the chance of TD - this season, at least - turning into a Generic Crime Drama.

Season 1 of True Detective may just prove to be the ultimate perfect storm in entertainment ever. Matthew McConaughey was at a point where he would do a TV show but it happened to premiere at the same time as his Oscar winning performance gained traction in theaters and he was able to convince Woody Harrelson to do it as well.

• Like 1

I feel like you guys are sort of jumping the gun here. I'm pretty sure The Shield, The Wire, and Justified were looked at as possible generic crime dramas before they showed up and blasted everyone out of the water. I'm glad Pizzolatto is telling a different kind of story with Season 2 and it opens up so many story opportunities when you don't pigeonhole yourself into having to include a certain element each time.

• Like 5

I feel like you guys are sort of jumping the gun here. I'm pretty sure The Shield, The Wire, and Justified were looked at as possible generic crime dramas before they showed up and blasted everyone out of the water. I'm glad Pizzolatto is telling a different kind of story with Season 2 and it opens up so many story opportunities when you don't pigeonhole yourself into having to include a certain element each time.

This. You guys are acting like its going to turn into CSI. Its an HBO series, they don't do generic.

• Like 1

When the original announcement stated that it would contain something about the "secret occult history of the Transportation department" and suddenly we're told a couple of months before debut that it's gone, I think we have a bit of a reason to go "well, crap".

Also, a single person talked about it becoming a generic crime drama. Not "you guys".

That secret occult history of transportation thing was debunked ages ago. And more than one person posted after you. If you are tuning out of the show because the only thing that made it for you is the occult stuff in season 1, then good night and good luck.

• Like 1

When the original announcement stated that it would contain something about the "secret occult history of the Transportation department" and suddenly we're told a couple of months before debut that it's gone, I think we have a bit of a reason to go "well, crap".

Also, a single person talked about it becoming a generic crime drama. Not "you guys".

You guys have something up your ass today, don't you?

Plus it was never announced as being that. He was asked what it was about right as he was starting to write it and it evolved from there, which happens a lot in writing. The mistake was that he said anything when he should have just told people to wait.

It's a pretty common thing for you, isn't it? I'll tell you how it is, maybe you can let me know?

That secret occult history of transportation thing was debunked ages ago. And more than one person posted after you. If you are tuning out of the show because the only thing that made it for you is the occult stuff in season 1, then good night and good luck.

I hadn't seen anything that "debunked" it in the least, and I never said anything that could even be slightly attributed to "tuning out" either.

It's a pretty common thing for you, isn't it? I'll tell you how it is, maybe you can let me know?

I hadn't seen anything that "debunked" it in the least, and I never said anything that could even be slightly attributed to "tuning out" either.
Okay, dude. Hopefully you can get rid of that chip on your shoulder that's weighing down so heavily on you for some reason.
  • Like 1

Okay, dude. Hopefully you can get rid of that chip on your shoulder that's weighing down so heavily on you for some reason.

I honestly have no clue what your problem is - just don't put words in my mouth to try and win some kind of point that was never there.

You're the one that seemingly has a problem. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. You got so defensive immediately when I was barely even referring to you in my initial post. And I'm not even trying to argue. Just relax.