General Television Thread

Hellfire

So about Grey's Anatomy.

I have just realized that Shonda Rhimes may be the black female equivalent to George R.R. Martin. If you watch

Scandal, this is more apparent since the deaths happen more often, but on Grey's, Rhimes has a habit of killing people whom we love the most, or just getting rid of characters. Somebody compiled a list–26 people in only 11 seasons who died after we had become attached to them. Many were only on three or four episodes, but still, she kills characters.

Dead Doctors:

George O'Malley

Charles Percy

That other female resident that was originally from Mercy West who was friends with April

Mark Sloane

Lexie Grey

That intern who got herself electrocuted

Doctors Who Otherwise Left:

Dr. Burke

Izzie Stevens

Teddy (Burke's replacement)

Whoever that useless pediatric surgeon was who took over Arizona's job when she went to Africa

Cristina Yang

Wes

And now she's gone and killed Derek Shepherd in order to show that Seattle Grace's Seattle Grace Mercy West's Grey Sloane Memorial's amazing medical prowess is not guaranteed everywhere. The man had a huge head laceration, and yet they decided to forego a CT, which led to Shepherd's death. Rhimes just likes having Meredith miserable, and it's starting to grate on my nerves.

Oh, also, don't use your cell phone while driving, because it can get you killed. Because they haven't already provided that message often enough.

Rant over.

So about Grey's Anatomy.

I have just realized that Shonda Rhimes may be the black female equivalent to George R.R. Martin. If you watch

Scandal, this is more apparent since the deaths happen more often, but on Grey's, Rhimes has a habit of killing people whom we love the most, or just getting rid of characters. Somebody compiled a list–26 people in only 11 seasons who died after we had become attached to them. Many were only on three or four episodes, but still, she kills characters.

Dead Doctors:

George O'Malley

Charles Percy

That other female resident that was originally from Mercy West who was friends with April

Mark Sloane

Lexie Grey

Dr. Burke

Izzie Stevens

Whoever that useless pediatric surgeon was who took over Arizona's job when she went to Africa

Cristina Yang

Wes

And now she's gone and killed Derek Shepherd in order to show that Seattle Grace's Seattle Grace Mercy West's Grey Sloane Memorial's amazing medical prowess is not guaranteed everywhere. The man had a huge head laceration, and yet they decided to forego a CT, which led to Shepherd's death. Rhimes just likes having Meredith miserable, and it's starting to grate on my nerves.

Oh, also, don't use your cell phone while driving, because it can get you killed. Because they haven't already provided that message often enough.

Rant over.

I just don't get why now. After everything they've gone through for 11 seasons and that's how he dies. Like there's no point in continuing the show at this point.

I really wish she would get fired and have somebody come in and hit the reset button and pull a Dallas at the point where George died. That's the Grey's Anatomy I miss.

So about Grey's Anatomy.

Dead Doctors:

George O'Malley

Charles Percy

Mark Sloane

Lexie Grey

Dr. Burke

Izzie Stevens

Cristina Yang

Wes

Rant over.

I just don't get why now. After everything they've gone through for 11 seasons and that's how he dies. Like there's no point in continuing the show at this point.

I really wish she would get fired and have somebody come in and hit the reset button and pull a Dallas at the point where George died. That's the Grey's Anatomy I miss.

He died because the actor wanted to leave the show. Why not kill him and get an emotional moment out of the show rather than a "He leaves to go somewhere else" story.

• Like 1

Because it was an unnecessary death. I don't pretend to be an expert on Grey's Anatomy, but I've seen enough episodes to know enough about the Mer-Der romance. What's wrong with him leaving to go somewhere else? It at least leaves the option open for him to come back for the eventual series finale to give a happily ever after story to the couple the show has been built around for 11 years. It worked when George Clooney left ER, then Doug Ross reunited with Carol Hathaway when Julianna Margulies left a couple years later. Now Meredith raises kids alone, or gets together with some new guy and there's not that deep emotional connection her and the audience had with Derek all this time. Not every show nowadays needs a tragedy to surround one or more of the center characters to make it more "real". It just feels like it was sacrificing a long story arc between Meredith and Derek in order to shock the audience for one week.

• Like 2

Because leaving him alive hangs it over the show for the rest of the run. I'm far happier with him dying and potentially moving into a Meredith/Alex romance since those two have waaaaaay more chemistry. I like Derek, but he and Meredith's romance has been an albatross on the show's neck for several seasons now, everyone else is more interesting than them.

• Like 1

I'm so glad that we're coming to the end of the season for a lot of shows. I have waaaay too many shows to watch right now. Arrow, Flash, Grey's, Gotham, Hawaii Five-0, Agents of SHIELD, Family Guy, Mad Men and I'm sure a whole bunch more ending next month for UK airings, then even more end in June. That's at least seven and a half hours of extra time each week... that I'll probably use to watch other shows, mind :shifty:

• Like 1

I've really been liking Weird Loners. I started watching it because of Zach Knighton, who I still hold a lot of love from Happy Endings, and Becki Newton who I just have the dumbest crush on. Nate Torrence is unexpectedly hit-and-miss, but it's improved week to week, with today's episode being particularly great, especially for the Godfather scene. Fun stuff.

The end of last week's Silicon Valley was incredible. Just watched the most recent episode, and I feel like the show's in a pretty good place, even though I didn't love the introduction of Russ.

Gavin Belson's press fuck up was great though, right?

"Wait a minute. Did you just compare the treatment of billionaires in America today to the plight of the Jews in Nazi Germany?"

• Like 1

The end of last week's Silicon Valley was incredible. Just watched the most recent episode, and I feel like the show's in a pretty good place, even though I didn't love the introduction of Russ.

At first Russ seemed like some sort of cartoonish stereotype, but with Mike Judge, he always turns cartoonish stereotypes on their head. As soon as he started to talk about revenue, I knew he'd have a clear direction and could be a great wrench in the side of Pied Piper.

Oh, I don't doubt that at all. I just didn't really find him that funny, besides his interactions with Elrich. Either way, I think the jokes are already stronger than they were last year, and I think the episodes have a really good flow to them.

RE: Greys.

Eh, half of those characters were shit.

Also, thank fuck Derek is dead, if only they'd kill of Meredith now and I could 100% enjoy the show.

100% agreed

I can't stand these two and their relationship anymore. It was entertaining for the first two seasons but it got booring fast and the fact that Shonda Rhimes was hellbent on finding contrived ways for them to break up only to have them reconcile was sooooo annoying. Like the way she split them up at the mid-season break for the current season when Derek left for Washington. There was no good explanation as to why they split up again other than Meredith being a neurotic, childish c*nt. Remember that speech you have Derrek in Season 2 or 3 where you told him to "pick me, love me" or whatever the hell that was? Guess what? He had the choice of working on that fancy brain mapping project with the Oresident in Washington or staying with you and HE CHOOSE YOU! He did exactely what you wanted him to do! And you are mad at him anyway. I get that her childhood was traumatic and her best friend left her. But she could have literally the prefect life but always finds some way to make herself miserable. Why is Derek still putting up with her shit anyway?

So I was kinda happy to see that when the show returned from it's break Derek and Meredith's "problems" were somewhat put on the back burner to give the other characters a chance to shine. Now whether that was due to them realising how stupid that storyline was or, according to Shonda, Dempsey being a diva is anyone's guess.

So yeah, I'm happy he's gone. His character was stale and I can't think of anything interesting for him to do that doesn't involve splitting up with Meredith which they never would have gone through with anyway so good riddance.

This. I just HATE the way they treated George. Of all the interns in Season 1 he was the only one who wasn't a narcissistic asshole. He was the only one normal. So of course he had to be the butt of their jokes most of the time. They just couldn't have O'Malley be lucky for once. I was soooo happy when he finally got over Meredith and fell in love with Callie but they had to ruin that too with that horrible storyline involving him cheating on Callie with Izzy. Other than her looks what are Izzy Stevens redeemable traits? Katherine Heigl may be a diva but she was right to criticize that creative descision. And they had one last chance at redeeming themselves by having George get together with Little Grey but they screwed that up as well. Then he became a background character for whatever reason because they apparently had no idea what to do with him over than make him look like a fool and then they killed him. But they had to. Because who needs more George when instead we could have Meredith and Derek break up and make up for the 10th because Meredith is an idiot? Of course he had to be cut.

I don't even know why I keep watching this.