General Gaming Thread

TKz

Polygon's got a first impressions thingy up about No Man's Sky, the guy who wrote it played about ten hours of the game and he seems fairly pleased with it. Had some complaints, though.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/9/12408750/no-mans-sky-first-impressions-review-preview-10-hours

1 hour ago, apsham said:

...wut

I have never played a Dark Souls game or Bloodbourne, but I am on the same page as @OctoberRavenO. The gameplay seems cool, but everything about Dark Souls and Bloodbourne's world, aesthetic, and lore is just not for me at all. That type of fantasy world just bores me to tears. I would maybe pick the games up for 5$, but there is so many other games out there that I just never justify picking them up. 

• Like 1

No @Benji, it is clearly not fantasy, you are just not remembering the nightmarish creatures that roamed earth during the Victorian era, but that were all killed by the unicorn. I certainly cannot forget because it is how my great great great great grandfather was taken from this world. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, RPS said:

No @Benji, it is clearly not fantasy, you are just not remembering the nightmarish creatures that roamed earth during the Victorian era, but that were all killed by the unicorn. I certainly cannot forget because it is how my great great great great grandfather was taken from this world. 

And yet you support and lust after a man who wears a unicorn horn. Oh fate, thou art a cruel mistress.

• Like 4

My sex life is a complex beast that I cannot go into, because I am actually turning into a Dark Souls like fantasy game called Dark Holes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, apsham said:

...wut

I mean, the aesthetics were... okay. Seemed to be trying too hard to be grimdark. The action seemed to be just hack and slash on rails.

Seeing people here liking it, I'll give it a shot, the first impression was very not good though.

Don't get me wrong when I say this because I love Kingdom Hearts but Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that final boss. Get him on the last health bar and there is litterly no opening to attack and not get hit. You have to just tank your way through and if your numbers aren't high enough then fuck you, you have to abandon the progress you made beating his last three forms and go grind out levels in the Coliseum. No fucking skill required.

My biggest problem with Kingdom Hearts is that it's so grindtastic. It seems that you need to spend hours of mindless toiling against low-level enemies between each world, meaning that the narrative flow is disrupted so frequently that I ended up playing it in fits and starts when I could motivate myself to plough through waves of tedium to get to the ideal level. As you mentioned, grinding is an activity that requires no skill, and I'd much rather just enter a cheat code to level up than spend so much time doing what feels like a second job.

For anyone interested on my impressions of three hours of No Man's Sky last night... (I'll tag @thatshortguy cause he seemed most interested in the game) 

This will definitely be a love or hate it game. The actual things you do aren't very complex (combat, exploring, crafting, trading, collecting), but there is definitely a huge depth to this game that will pull some people in. But that lack of upfront complexity on the actual things you do is definitely going to turn people off.

As an example, there three basic pieces of the game you are going to upgrade through crafting, trading, pillaging, etc. - your suit (health, elemental impacts, etc.), your tools (your mining gun, your attack gun, etc) and your ship (your ability to fast travel, your weapons on the ship, etc.) As an aside, apparently they are updating with bases and freighters in the near future, so those likely will be things you can upgrade in the future. On the face of it, it may seem kind of basic, but finding blueprints to craft different upgrades and trinkets can be very deep. I found a Blueprint to allow me to withstand very cold temperatures - however, I have not even stumbled upon a planet with ice cold temperatures yet. I stumbled upon a blueprint to upgrade my attack weapon, but instead decided to upgrade my mining gun because I want to focus on being a scavenger and trader. I have been super peaceful so far, doing my best not to kill any of the creatures I've come across and instead feeding them. 

The one downside that I found was the lack of inventory space in the first few hours, but as the depth started to unravel itself it made more sense. I don't think the point of the game is to become the greatest at everything. I think the nature of the game is resource management and figuring out what type of experience you want and tailoring your progress forward to that experience. 

As somebody who has played his fair share of crafting games, on the surface it seems pretty similar to the other crafting games. But I can definitely see how with so many different elements at play, it allows for a huge depth on how you want to move forward. I think a lot of people are going to be turned off by the directionless nature of the game at hour 3, but to me I just said to my SO "I am going to spend hundreds of hours playing this". On the flip side, he is somebody who likes a linear experience and having his hand held through a game and he was like "that game looks like art, but I think I would get lost". 

The game does prod you in certain directions, but there was nothing stopping me from completely disregarding it. I spent most of the three hours just traveling planet to planet and seeing what I can explore, marvelling at the weird (and so far, all friendly) creatures/plants/settings that I've stumbled upon. 

The TL;DR version: I am amazed by this game, but I expect lots of people to hate it (for very valid reasons). It is a massive, potentially endless game... but only as much as you are willingly to buy into the game. 

Also, if anyone has any questions about the game, feel free to ping me here and ask me and I'll see if I can answer it. 

• Like 4

Well stated, mes ami.  Intended to spend about an hour, wound up playing it for four and still don't feel like I have done anything.  This is the type of game that people who love to play Diablo for hours - hoping for that last piece of gear to drop - or the type of people who wander around Elder Scrolls/Fallout games wanting to see what is around the corner.

In short:  my cup o'tea.  Quick example:  landed on a planet, ran into a distress beacon.  The beacon pointed to a station 20 minutes (real-time walking, folks) away.  Realized my ship needed fuel for the launch thrusters, so I decided to hoof it.  Those 20 minutes were absolutely outstanding, as I found a random sleeping quarters that resulted in me getting attacked by drones (baby's first combat!) and ultimately having to jump massive canyons (yay jetpack) and swim wide rivers while getting chased by prehistoric looking deer/T-Rex hybrids.  When I got there, mercifully there was a save point and one lone alien who gave me a Hyperdrive.

I still have a 20 minute walk back to my ship ahead of me.  I legit cannot wait to take that walk.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thatshortguy said:

or the type of people who wander around Elder Scrolls/Fallout games wanting to see what is around the corner.

If you are the type of person who plays Elder Scrolls or Fallout and just cannot wait to see what the next twist is in the story - I would avoid this game. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RPS said:

If you are the type of person who plays Elder Scrolls or Fallout and just cannot wait to see what the next twist is in the story - I would avoid this game. 

I agree with that.

From what I've played so far...I've enjoyed it. The inventory space is very limiting and very annoying. I've yet to find another Multi-tool....but I have had fun just exploring planets. Although, I did get annoyed last night...there was a distress beacon in space...but I got there and nothing happened! 

37 minutes ago, RPS said:

Not talking story, just talking the peeps who walk around, wonder 'what is that?!?' and then spend the next three hours covering every nook and cranny of it.

Edit:  Ruki:  I ran into an alien that said something about my multi-tool and asked me to hand it over.  Did so and he traded me an upgraded one that doesn't overheat nearly as fast (and can actually kill drones!)

• Like 1

I mostly just want more slots. More ship slots for storage (I found a new ship....has a bunch of upgrades for blasters and shit, but a little less inventory) and more multitool slots for upgrades (I want the grenades! And faster beam!)

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

My biggest problem with Kingdom Hearts is that it's so grindtastic. It seems that you need to spend hours of mindless toiling against low-level enemies between each world, meaning that the narrative flow is disrupted so frequently that I ended up playing it in fits and starts when I could motivate myself to plough through waves of tedium to get to the ideal level. As you mentioned, grinding is an activity that requires no skill, and I'd much rather just enter a cheat code to level up than spend so much time doing what feels like a second job.

I haven't hit the level issue till this last boss. If anything I've been over leveled going into most worlds. The Little Mermaid level was so, so easy for example because I had gotten so high leveled elsewhere.