The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Also, spoilers from the episode time! (Show is going from strength to strength)

Loved the switch where Fitz was the LMD, and they had me guessing for a good while too before they did the full reveal. Made me doubt whether it was truly Jemma instead, but she wasn't.

Also, the Terminator vibes between Mack doing the static gun-walk and Daisy doing the walking hip-fire shotgun at Mace, nice touches and they really went out of their way in making the meat of the episode into a bit of a classic horror story. And then there was the whole LMay being the most human of them all by giving her life to take out creepy perma-smirk Coulson and the rest of the evil robots.

Then there was the end of the episode teasers, with Daisy having shacked up with Ward. And everyone being happy (HAIL HYDRA!) in their fake worlds. And who on earth is Fitz's woman if Jemma is dead in that world? Also, wtf does that even mean in subtext? Does Fitz rather want Jemma dead, or what?

Finally, I guess it's the end of Radcliffe having his wrists slashed and being permanently put into the framework by AIDA. And Russian McHugeChest being revived by AIDA to be another protector / robot relation?

Goddamn, I can't wait for the next story arc to begin. Agents of HYDRA is going to be blow my mind, I know it for certain. But two weeks is too much of a wait

Edited by Jasonmufc

19 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Also, spoilers from the episode time! (Show is going from strength to strength)

Hide contents

Loved the switch where Fitz was the LMD, and they had me guessing for a good while too before they did the full reveal. Made me doubt whether it was truly Jemma instead, but she wasn't.

Also, the Terminator vibes between Mack doing the static gun-walk and Daisy doing the walking hip-fire shotgun at Mace, nice touches and they really went out of their way in making the meat of the episode into a bit of a classic horror story. And then there was the whole LMay being the most human of them all by giving her life to take out creepy perma-smirk Coulson and the rest of the evil robots.

Then there was the end of the episode teasers, with Daisy having shacked up with Ward. And everyone being happy (HAIL HYDRA!) in their fake worlds. And who on earth is Fitz's woman if Jemma is dead in that world? Also, wtf does that even mean in subtext? Does Fitz rather want Jemma dead, or what?

Finally, I guess it's the end of Radcliffe having his wrists slashed and being permanently put into the framework by AIDA. And Russian McHugeChest being revived by AIDA to be another protector / robot relation?

Goddamn, I can't wait for the next story arc to begin. Agents of HYDRA is going to be blow my mind, I know it for certain. But two weeks is too much of a wait

Also! On that point:

What the fuck is gonna happen if Jemma is taking over fake-Jemma's body?! Is she gonna be stuck in the grave?!

And it's not back until April? Boo.

On 2/22/2017 at 22:48, Cloudy said:

There's a short little teaser for the show's return in April:

Hide contents

OH GOD THAT FUCKING SMIRK :w00t:

Seriously, this has blown any other superhero show out of the water, every episode, every season just getting better and better. It's like constantly rewarding us for putting up with the dump that was the first half of season 1, before the initial fall of S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, New Year New Srar! said:

I'm finally trying Legion. I am confused though. Did none of the other X-Men stuff happen? Or have they just not said yet?

They haven't said yet.  They haven't quite established how Legion fits into the X-Men continuity. 

Early reviews for Iron Fist are not great. Alan Sepinwall called it the "first complete misfire" of the Marvel TV shows, and the Hollywood Reporter's review says it "feels like a step backward on every level", as well as saying that it would be skippable were it not for the fact that it bridges into The Defenders. Variety's review calls it a "frustrating and ferociously boring example of Netflix Drift". They also said it was plodding, the action scenes were boring, and the characters were flat and by-the-numbers.

Yikes..

1 hour ago, Cloudy said:

Early reviews for Iron Fist are not great. Alan Sepinwall called it the "first complete misfire" of the Marvel TV shows, and the Hollywood Reporter's review says it "feels like a step backward on every level", as well as saying that it would be skippable were it not for the fact that it bridges into The Defenders. Variety's review calls it a "frustrating and ferociously boring example of Netflix Drift". They also said it was plodding, the action scenes were boring, and the characters were flat and by-the-numbers.

Yikes..

Just coming to post this.  Some..."highlights"...of whats being said.  Apparently the reviews are all based on the first 6 episodes, so maybe the last half of the season kicks ass?

I'm hoping some of this is hyperbole based on the previous entries being relatively strong. 

I totally buy it, though. It basically got delayed because they hadn't found anyone who had any good ideas for it, and then eventually they settled on the dude who did the last few seasons of Dexter which, by and large, averaged out at bad.

• Like 1

Empire gave the first six episodes 3 stars - that's not terrible. They actually praise the principle cast. Main criticism seemed to be that it didn't feel like the showrunner was as connected to the work as those that did Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. That said, they praised RZA (director of ep 6) for "pulp martial-arts-movie riffing".

It sounds like it's just fine, and the character will hopefully do better in the back end / The Defenders.

My concern about Iron Fist all stems from the "should've had an Asian lead" thing, but not in the way everyone has. I had the feeling the show had zero chance with critics because the general consensus was that this was the chance to give an Asian actor a lead in a big show but they didn't.  
The Iron Fist story isn't especially great and my understanding is that it kinda follows the Batman/Arrow trope that has already been done in film and TV, so it may potentially feel like a retread and was always going to have a hard time. But you can't write a show off after 6 episodes in the same way you can't declare it awesome after 6. I'm looking forward to it and each of the other four seasons of Netflix Marvel have been excellent, so they've kind of earned my faith here.

I've generally stayed away from the casting debate because on one hand I think it's kind of unfair to be especially pissed at a show for not changing the race of a character who's canon white (whereas if Finn Jones were supposed to be, IDK, Shang-Chi then I'd be furious), but on the other hand, jeez, that's an origin story that could really use something to freshen it up and making Danny Asian would probably open up some interesting story/theme directions in a way that "this white person has the potential to be the greatest (insert Asian combat discipline) warrior of them all" most certainly does not anymore. Of course, in that case you'd probably want an Asian showrunner for that in the same way Luke Cage's authenticity (which was, by a mile, the best part) had a lot to do with Cheo Hodari-Coker running shit.

• Like 3

The white guy becomes greatest Asian warrior story is overdone and if this was a new IP I'd have been totally behind the casting of an Asian actor to play Danny Rand, but Iron Fist is a character that predates the Karate Kid - the good one - even. The criticism is unfair and bordering on virtue signalling.

• Like 1