The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

I honestly doubt Punisher is gonna pop up in Agents of SHIELD, unless it is a sneaky cameo that has no overall bearing on the plot.

As a whole the Netflix series are standalone which is what makes them so great. And the AoS writers as a whole have made very vocal they're not comfortable being backdoor marketing for other Marvel series when they get none of it in return.

I also don't feel that Bernthal's Punisher (Or any Punisher, really) fits in the whole idea of what Agents of Shield does. Punisher is the darkest character in the entire MCU, by far. And Agents of Shield even in their darker moments does have that upbeat mentality permeating through in one way or another.

I'm not saying it's not gonna happen, but I personally feel it's either a red herring aimed to get more viewers to tune into AOS, or another form of backdoor marketing as they've done through all four previous seasons. Of course, either way, if Punisher shows up my mind will still implode in pure joy.

Finished Luke Cage. Full series spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

Sweet Christmas, what a great show. Phenomenal cast, great direction, the dialogue rode a perfect line between real as hell and fist-pumping cheese, and a wonderful approach to current important topics. Plus: THAT MUSIC.

As much as I love Daredevil, I want more shows like this and Jessica Jones. These shows are what you get when you turn full control over to underrepresented voices and let tell THEIR stories THEIR way. (Though I'd love to get the perspective of those underrepresented voices, as my own privileged one is always potentially off the mark.) You have a black cast portraying stories about a black community, written and produced by a black creator.

I love the themes of police/political corruption, a community's need to look out for each other, and an understanding of why that community might not trust the authority surrounding it.

Also: ALFRE. GODDAMN. WOODARD. Holy shit, her arc was incredible. And that Episode 7 (?) moment when she raged out on Cornell? What a jaw-dropper.

Also also: THAT METHOD MAN RAP SCENE with all the people wearing Cage bullet hole hoodies.

I'm very curious to see what happens now, with Luke taken into Georgia custody, Diamondback being treated by Slimy Lawyer from The Wire, and Mariah back in control. I imagine Foggy will help Luke get freedom in time for The Defenders? I could also see Fisk and Mariah being co-conspirators for The Defenders.

Let's talk Luke Cage!

Edited by fhqwhjosh

Luke Cage S1 E1

Spoiler

Not really impressed with the show's opener, but it did feel like it was slow because it's setting things up for a binge watch. The ending fight scene, aside from that god awful cliche scene with him pulling his hood up and pointlessly standing outside the shop, was really cool.

Judging maybe harshly by the first episode, Simone Missick is not at all engaging as Misty Knight. Hopefully she improves.

• Like 2

Luke Cage S2 E2

Spoiler

Waaaaaay better. Tone being thrown off of the roof scene with Turk there was brilliant. Misty was a lot better this episode too (the basketball scene in particular was solid, but I have low expectations of basketball scenes in comic films)

Pops dying didn't feel like it had enough emotional investment yet. I imagine they needed to time it early to set things off, but it didn't have the full effect it could have had.

"PULL THE TRIGGER, NIGGER. I AIN'T GOT ALL NIGHT!" is absolutely the line of the episode.

• Like 6

Luke Cage spoilers...can't remember the episode number, but its not a vital spoiler so its not important

BE6PuMI.jpg

• Like 2

I'm up to episode 5 (haven't started it). My only complaint so far:

Spoiler

More corrupt cops. Is it a requirement that every Marvel Netflix show have a corrupt detective? It's a trope I can do without.

Unrelated notes: I knew Cottonmouth was pissed but holy shit, a rocket launcher?

& the heroes for hire nod and the reference to the OG Luke Cage outfit (during the flashback) was great.

Love that the show wears its influences on its sleeve. The scene set to Wu Tang was great. 

36 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

I'm up to episode 5 (haven't started it). My only complaint so far:

Reveal hidden contents

More corrupt cops. Is it a requirement that every Marvel Netflix show have a corrupt detective? It's a trope I can do without.

Unrelated notes: I knew Cottonmouth was pissed but holy shit, a rocket launcher?

& the heroes for hire nod and the reference to the OG Luke Cage outfit (during the flashback) was great.

Love that the show wears its influences on its sleeve. The scene set to Wu Tang was great. 

Spoiler

Corrupt cops/corrupt government is critical to the larger themes of the series. As a separate point, it's also arguable that corrupt cops are what create the vacuum that makes these heroes so necessary. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fhqwhjosh said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I get that,

Spoiler

it just feels like a really dull trope to continually fall back on. Both seasons of Daredevil had their share of corrupt cops / officials, Iron Fist will, I'm sure Punisher will, and practically every procedural or crime-adjacent show on TV has "the corrupt cop". If anything, if Luke Cage is going to have corrupt cops, I'd rather it be framed in a way to show the damage they do to minority communities rather than "conveniently, here's a corrupt cop giving the Big Bad All The Scoops". But I'm only halfway through Luke Cage, so maybe it does deal with that and I'm complaining prematurely.

S1E12 spoiler

lukecagemethodgif.gif

Method Man is in the MCU and friends with Luke Cage :lol::w00t:

• Like 2

On 10/1/2016 at 07:18, Noah said:

Just read a friend of mine wasn't that impressed with the first episode. Something about starting out with a conversation on sports was the last thing that would get him interested in a new show. :P

Needs more Prop Joe, Omar Little, and Slim Charles.

And maybe McNutty for good measure.