Bands That Don't Live Up To The Hype

EndOfAnEra

I still think Hot Fuss stands up throughout, barring Glamourous Indie Rock and Roll which is awful. It's when they hit their 'We don't sound like Shed 7, we've never heard of them" phase that I got bored. The likes of Believe Me Natalie and Midnight Show are really decent album tracks.

Tupac.

Also, Paramore also. Whenever we go to the local rock club, they always play female fronted pop-punk music which I always assume is always Paramore because it all sounds like Avril Lavigne.

Tsunami Bomb is where my female fronted pop punk love is at. They even covered Rocky Horror songs.

• Like 1

Echo the earlier love for Haim, enjoyed their record, nice to look at and very good live going of seeing them a few weeks back.

On the other hand, agree on Vampire Weekend, seem to just be another band these days. Jake Bugg has no right to be at a level where he is subbing the likes of reading and t in the park. Green Day are pretty rubbish.

Live, although intense at times, always found The Prodigy overhyped

Edit: Daft Punk.

Edited by Chief87

• 3 weeks later...

I love this thread. So many of those bands mentioned I don't rate at all, such a waste of space on festival line-ups.

My big one that hasn't been said yet (unless I'm blind) is Oasis. Holy fuck. Most overrated band I can fathom. The sooner their music stops being continuously played on British radio is a generation to savour.

My Chemical Romance is another one. Genuinely delighted when they split. I suspect this may be a shared feeling.

I really have to nominate Depeche Mode as well. I just cannot get in to their music, but some of my friends rave on about them like they created music before anyone else even designed instruments.

I'd also like to say that A Day to Remember are shit. Stop liking them. I had the misfortune of seeing them live in 2010 and it was dreadful. I was majorly disappointed as all my pals wanted to see them, so I assumed it was some hot new band I never caught wind of. Parkway Drive and Modest Mouse are also in this category of "bands I've seen because of the hype and they were shit". Slipknot as well, but I expected them to be shit. Great live show though, but the music...I just find it extremely annoying to listen to.

Death Cab for Cutie are another band I just don't understand why they are so popular. They're nothing to write home about. Same with Coheed and Cambria. Ugh.

I suppose it goes without saying, but U2 need to be mentioned in here as well. And Elbow. And Fleetwood Mac. I think there's one song apiece out of those three bands back catalogs that I like. I'm trying not to think of old bands because I know a lot of them influenced bands that I love, so I can tolerate their existence in that way...

And last but not least, I can say I am ashamed and mystified by the popularity of Paolo Nutini. His music is wank, his impersonating voice is wank and his live performances are apparently some of the worst my friends have EVER seen. I'm glad I've always found his music to be utter tripe to save myself from such crushing disappointment.

• Like 1

Manic Street Preachers. Although saying that is probably still a hangable offence in the UK.

I'll get the rope... :P

Manic Street Preachers. Although saying that is probably still a hangable offence in the UK.

Heretic :/

Don't get me wrong, I know they used to have tons of hype compared to how they are now, but I think they lived up to it.

They did. I mean, you have to ignore their "we'll sell 18 million copies of Generation Terrorists and then retire" statement as that actually was not living up to the hype. Critically, the hype was lived up to come The Holy Bible. Commerically, Everything Must Go.

I suppose it goes without saying, but U2 need to be mentioned in here as well.

I second that. The Edge can't control his delay pedal, Adam Clayton can't play bass and Bono just has to be the most irritating frontman to come out of Ireland.

Their success is still continuing yet they haven't earned it at all, if I'm honest. The only U2 song I could ever stand was 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' and even then I think it's poorly thrown together and the military-esque drums don't exactly help at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Green Day for me. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy some of their songs (mostly just "Minority", "Basket Case", "Wake Me Up (When September Ends)", and "Jesus Of Suburbia") but not only do their fans overrate them - they overrate themselves. They made a Broadway musical using their own music, and unlike the rest of the musicals that did this (even the Elvis-based one), most critics called it mediocre, even while the band members were calling American Idiot (the musical, not the album) their greatest accomplishment. Also, "Time of Your Life" is the most trite and overplayed song on the radio, and I am to the point where I immediately change the station when I hear it.

• Like 1