The January Transfer Window - 2016

Lineker

19 minutes ago, Adam said:

Apparently the cost of his wages/bonuses etc. were far too high so Boro pulled the deal, but Rhodes and his camp are denying that? Strange one.

Yeah, both sides are saying very different things.  Rovers seemed pretty sure he was on his way out given we've brought in Graham and Watt already this window, definitely won't complain about him sticking around though.

Boro were ready to take on his lucrative Rovers deal - which includes a promotion pay rise - and add another year to the length of the contract.

And the early indications were that the player and his representatives were happy with that.

But Boro grew uneasy during talks as further performance clauses and bonuses were requested which pushed the investment above their ceiling.

It is understood the deal being demanded would have seen Boro invest a figure heading towards a total of £30m over the course of the bumper four-and-half-year deal.

And that was too much for Boro bosses and would have shattered the pay-structure.

After last ditch talks failed to find a compromise this morning Boro bosses pulled the plug.

Would like to have signed him, but if that's true as to why they pulled the plug then I don't have much complaint.

I don't understand how £25mil is too much for Berahino. It's the going rate for players nowadays. Bournmouth just spent £10mil on Benik Afobe and £8mil on Lewis Grabban. 5-10 years ago, £25mil would be extortionate, but in an era of bumper TV deals and Ross McCormack moves between Championship clubs for £11mil, it really isn't.

• Like 1

I could understand £25m if Berahino had been playing all season and nabbed 15 goals (hell that's how Carroll got his big move), but not as a player who Tony Pulis doesn't even feel he needs to play at an almost relegation battling side. I just can't see what upgrade he gives to Perez, if we could get him cheap I'd have him but a bidding war that breaks our transfer record is madness.

• Like 1

I think if he hits any run of form at all with us, his value will only increase given that he's 22. He's a much better striker than Perez. I love Ayoze and think he's fantastic but he's really not a proper goalscorer, more a creative player.

I'll be happy if the deal goes through and I won't be bothered if it doesn't. So either way, if we end up with just Doumbia tomorrow, I'll be happy.

33 minutes ago, Colly said:

I could understand £25m if Berahino had been playing all season and nabbed 15 goals (hell that's how Carroll got his big move), but not as a player who Tony Pulis doesn't even feel he needs to play at an almost relegation battling side. I just can't see what upgrade he gives to Perez, if we could get him cheap I'd have him but a bidding war that breaks our transfer record is madness.

He's made 18 league appearances this season. Dunno how many of them are off the bench, but he's either unhappy or not getting a lot of game time, which would explain why he's gotten 3 league goals thus far, compared to 14 in 38 last season.

39 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

He's made 18 league appearances this season. Dunno how many of them are off the bench, but he's either unhappy or not getting a lot of game time, which would explain why he's gotten 3 league goals thus far, compared to 14 in 38 last season.

I know, but that's exactly what I mean. He's had one good top flight season then massively fallen out with his club, and yet we're still willing to spend what is rumoured to be up to £24m this evening. Spending that on a striker when we play one up top, signed Mitrovic only 5 months ago and supposedly have got Doumbia lined up too, whilst also still not having a proper left back is so 'lol, Newcastle' it's not even funny.

It's a bit scary too, we must be approaching £100m in two transfer windows and seemingly writing off some of them already with Thauvin out after barely getting a kick.

We're just doing a Man City, expect us to announce that are sponsorship deal with Sports Direct has gone from £0 per season to £500m per season.

• Admin

Sky Sources: Tottenham midfielder Alex Pritchard is to have a medical at West Brom tomorrow. A loan agreed has been agreed with Tottenham until the end of the season. We understand Tottenham have allowed the player to decide where he goes on loan based on the offers he gets. Burnley, Middlesbrough and Brighton were all interested but there has been recent interest in him from WBA, and the player prefers a loan move to the Premier League.

Sky sources: Watford are in talks with French side Rennes over the transfer of midfielder Abdoulaye Doucoure. The 23-year-old has been at Rennes since his youth career, and has made one appearance for the French U21 side.

LA Galaxy have signed former Manchester City midfielder Nigel De Jong, according to the LA Times. Earlier in the week the MLS side announced the signing of Roma defender Ashley Cole and Standard Liege defender Jelle van Damme. de Jong, 31, played six times for Serie A side AC Milan this term.

Florian Thauvin has joined Marseille on loan from Newcastle for the rest of the season.

Sheffield Wednesday have a  Sky Bet Championship rival for the loan signing of Aiden McGeady, Roberto Martinez has confirmed. Wednesday agreed a deal with Everton on Saturday to take the Republic of Ireland winger on loan for the rest of the season, according to Sky sources. A statement on Everton's website mentioned Leeds and Blackburn as other interested parties, and Martinez said: "It seems very close. We've agreed terms with two teams in the Championship. It's just a matter of time before one of the deals is clinched."

Striker Moussa Dembele's move from Fulham to Tottenham is off, according to Sky sources. :(. Dembele had a Spurs medical on Saturday after the Cottagers accepted for an offer for a striker in the final six months of his contract. But it is understood Spurs' reluctance to loan back the teenager to Fulham until the end of the season has scuppered the deal. Dembele has 11 goals this term for the Championship side, who are just four points above the division's relegation places.

Sky sources: West Brom insist they will not be selling Saido Berahino in this transfer window despite bids from both Newcastle and Stoke.

Norwich striker Kyle Lafferty is facing more transfer frustration after a return to Sion broke down. The Swiss club had made a move to take the Northern Ireland international on loan until the end of the season. But Lafferty is keen to stay in England ahead of Euro 2016 and now faces a race against time to secure a move away from Carrow Road before Monday's transfer deadline.

West Ham have signed Emmanuel Emenike on loan from Fenerbahce. The Nigeria striker joins from Turkish side Fenerbahce until the summer, when West Ham will have the option of making the deal permanent.

Oumar Niasse is due at Everton on Monday morning to undertake a medical and finalise his personal terms on a £13.5m transfer from Lokomotiv Moscow.