The January Transfer Window - 2016

Lineker

1 hour ago, Benji said:

It really is a good job we're not in any cups, because otherwise we only have three first team strikers.

Some clubs make do with only one-and-a-half first team strikers most of the time, which I suppose is the equivalent in a one striker formation. :shifty: 

• Like 1

4-6-0 is the logical progression from the present day 4-2-3-1 anyway.

Best bit of business in this window was Ayoze signing a new 5 year contract. £100m or bust.

• Admin

Jordan :crying:

Though in reality timing was probably right. Didn't seem to fit into Lambert's system that well, and with us just out of FFP having some cash put back in and saving on his wages & bonuses can only help.

Will Graham / Watt / Jackson score as many between them as Rhodes did on his own? Probably not. But if we remove the reliance on one player and become a more all-round unit I'll be OK with that.

Of course, if it turns out Jordan was just propping us up single-handedly we're fucked

• Like 1

Transfers in

Date from Position Nationality Name From Fee Ref.
5 January 2016 MF Jamaica Elliott Bennett Norwich City Undisclosed (nominal fee) [31]
15 January 2016 FW Canada Simeon Jackson Barnsley Free transfer [32]
20 January 2016 DF England Elliott Ward Bournemouth Free transfer [35]

Loans in

Date from Position Nationality Name From Length Ref.
20 January 16 FW England Danny Graham Sunderland End of Season [34]
29 January 16 FW Scotland Tony Watt Charlton Athletic End of Season [38]
1 February 16 MF Spain Jordi Gómez Sunderland End of Season [40]

And whilst I'm posting, in totally unrelated stuff but I need to send him a notification - @Benkid Nada, clear your damned inbox and PM me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benji said:

I know Boro are in the promotion chase, but I'm genuinely surprised he didn't get snapped up by an existing Prem team, especially for £9m. We paid £8m for Ulloa a season and a half ago, and I'd have rather taken Rhodes for that money.

I think a lot of the Premier League are in the same mind about Rhodes as Strachan is, which is that he is too small to get it done at the top level.

• Admin

I think, of all people, Danny Murphy summed it up best last night. 

He's lethal in the box, but he's not pacy, he's not big, and his link-up play isn't that great. If your a Prem team who likes to play on the counter - he's not your man. Works better as a partner to a battering ram, like Gestede last year.

5 hours ago, Benji said:

So over the last six months we've lost Nugent, Wood, GTF, Gallagher and Kramaric from the squad, and replaced all those malleable forwards/strikers with just Shinji Okizaki. It realy is a good job we're not in any cups, because otherwise we only have three first team strikers. I really hope Joe Dodoo is up to the standard and Schlupp is up for going back to playing up front in case of emergency >_>

no, you get to fuck :/

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bad News RW said:

I think, of all people, Danny Murphy summed it up best last night. 

He's lethal in the box, but he's not pacy, he's not big, and his link-up play isn't that great. If your a Prem team who likes to play on the counter - he's not your man. Works better as a partner to a battering ram, like Gestede last year.

Considering Leicester haven't scored a goal from outside the box, I'm now disappointed we didn't sign him, he'd be perfect :shifty:

It's kind of amazing how Stoke went from a team whose main point of attack was a Rory Delap throw-in to a team full of wildly talented players more or less in the span of two seasons. At least one thing didn't change, Ryan Shawcross is still there to kick the shit out of opposition players. 

• Like 3

It's all very well having all these creative flair players, but you've got to have that bit of mettle too.

Just look at Arsenal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Considering Leicester haven't scored a goal from outside the box, I'm now disappointed we didn't sign him, he'd be perfect :shifty:

I couldn't handle you calling him by that name if that happened.

• Kaney unpinned this topic
  • Admin

Colombia striker Jackson Martínez has become the latest player to move to the Chinese Super League after Atlético Madrid confirmed he will move to Guangzhou Evergrande for a fee of €42m (£32m).

Martínez, 29, moved to Atlético last July for around €35m but has failed to settle at the Vicente Calderón, scoring two goals from 15 league appearances for Diego Simeone’s side.

Yet that has not stopped Guangzhou, who are managed by former Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, from shelling out a massive fee to add him to a squad that already contains Brazil international Paulinho, once of Tottenham.

According to Spanish newspaper AS, Martínez did not attend training on Monday, with his absence described as “for personal reasons with permission of the club”. His agent Jorge Mendes began negotiations with Atlético that evening but could not reach agreement, only for the club to eventually agree to sell Martínez late on Tuesday.

China’s transfer window remains open until 26 February and with Jiangsu Suning having already signed Ramires from Chelsea for £25m, there could be more deals to come.