RIP Lemmy

Gazz

A true legend and influence to countless musicians. RIP

Fuck.

My favorite rocker from my favorite rock band is gone. One of the last bad asses of rock and roll. This one hurts a lot, never really was upset about a musician but this one makes my insides hurt.

Nobody rocked like Lemmy. Glad I was able to see them twice, great stuff. So first it was Philthy Animal Taylor, now Lemmy from the original Motorhead. Cheers Lemmy, I got a beer to drink for you.

Real shame. They made a marvellous racket, Motorhead. For something that was seemingly so straightforward and derivative, they sounded so unique. Lemmy's voice and bass were a massive part of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnnff0Zq1N4

That documentary they did of him a couple of years ago was good. He led a strange old life, playing his slot machines and driving his Nazi tank.

• Like 3

I never thought I'd see this sad day come to pass. I'd be lying if I said that Motorhead were my absolute favourite band, but they, and specifically Lemmy himself, epitomised the loud, grimy, no-frills style of rock 'n' roll that's etched itself into the public consciousness over the years. They had some belting tunes, and I don't think they'd have had the same effect without Lemmy's distinctively harsh vocal style. It's a term that's thrown around all too often, but Lemmy was a truly iconic rockstar, and it's a shame to see him go.

• Like 1

Motorhead were one of my first "favourite" bands - I remember my Dad giving me Ace of Spades on cassette, and I would just rewind it and listen to it again and again. They were one of the first acts I immediately felt I had to rush out and buy everything I could get my hands on by; not just Motorhead, but Hawkwind, and any of his side projects - I've got the Head Cat DVD, the compilations with naff old Rockin' Vicars stuff, the documentary, his autobiography, for a long time I definitely owned more by Motorhead than by any other band.

I was lucky enough to see them live a couple of times, and always held out hope that I might meet him one day.

Even knowing he was getting up there in years, and that he'd been unwell for some time, as silly as it sounds he was just never someone you can get your head around actually dying. He didn't just live a rock and roll life, he lived the rock and roll life.

Beyond that, I've spoken to so many roadies and technical staff that have worked with him, or heard road stories about him, and not one of them had a bad word to say about him. I think that speaks volumes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, apsham said:

Pretty much how I did too, just idly checked Twitter as I was going to bed last night and saw Trips tweeting about it. I'm gutted, I love Motorhead and have seen them live twice. I listened to some of my favourite tracks of the Philthy Animal era when he passed recently, I'll have to stick entire albums on tonight, with a glass of Jack in hand.

I've forgotten who said it now but it rings true today - Lemmy IS rock and roll.