EFL Cup 2016/17

Lineker

1 minute ago, Mad Jack said:

I'd love that for the FA Cup winners. I still favour scrapping the LC but I don't think it'll happen, not when it generates a TV deal.

I know it would make the PL less competitive because of the lack of an extra CL place, but how good would a FA cup winner CL place be? Especially if the PL winner was the FA cup winner and the FA runner up CL place went to Accrington Stanley or someone.

• Like 2

I think we held our own, Harrison had a pretty brilliant chance at the end to level it up. Liverpool were much better, though. It's a shame some of the youngsters couldn't take their chance tonight; only Winks really stood out (I feel like he's gonna be something special). I'm kind of bored of seeing Onomah as a winger when he plays centrally at youth levels, he's not good enough as a winger and looks out of his depth as such. It's a shame we're out as it's a perfect competition for our youngsters to have opportunities to impress, and unfortunately, for a few of our younger players to not impress (Davies, Carroll, etc). Also, Kevin Stewart looks v good for Liverpool, shame it didn't work for him at Spurs (looking like a mistake) but good for him! 

Onomah should be central. He's physically got the tools. He's tall, he can hold the ball and he's quick. I was impressed by him. 

Stewart was immense, he was the best player for me apart from Sturridge. Just mops up and starts the attack. It's mad to think that without Klopp coming in he would have been released. He didn't look like he would do anything for us till he was given a chance during the FA Cup and seemed to stay in or around the team. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I think that's definitely why you get more upsets in the League Cup. I think in recent memory United have lost to MK Dons, Southend and Coventry at least. Each time we've probably been outplayed as well (I barely remember the Southend and Coventry games but against MK Dons we got mullered).

Boro last season too. Admittedly they are a bit better than the others. 

So annoyed that I can't watch the game live. At least being at the cinema to see Dr. Strange is a decent alternative.

Like the strength of the Chelsea line-up too: Begovic; Cahill, Terry, Luiz; Azpi, Chalobah, Kante, Aina; Oscar, Batshuayi, Willian. Let's smash these 'London Stadium' wankers.

The combined infinite footballing wisdom of Chris Waddle and David Pleat are decrying Premier League teams putting out weakened teams as they prepare to commentate on a match featuring Pogba, Ibra, Mata, De Gea, Otamendi, Kompany, Clichy, Sane and Nolito. Oddly, they're saying this makes the cup 'not a level playing field' for the smaller teams.

10 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

Apart from the centre backs I'd say yeh. 

Rojo and Blind are hardly youth teamers either. As always, Waddle is talking out of his arse.

I mean, they were saying that PL teams don't take the competition seriously, yet there are 11 teams left in the cup, 9 of them are PL teams.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Rojo and Blind are hardly youth teamers either. As always, Waddle is talking out of his arse.

I mean, they were saying that PL teams don't take the competition seriously, yet there are 11 teams left in the cup, 9 of them are PL teams.

But how many of them have won by six goals to bollock all? :w00t:

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Prem teams are taking it seriously and you've gotta look at the line ups just to see it.  

Against Derby and Burton we played near enough a full strength 11. Against Spurs we made a few changes but their was plenty of experience in the side and end of the day they are good players. 

Chelsea's team tonight is a pretty solid 11. It's not their strongest team but it's still a good side that could easily be a Prem starting line up. 

There's too many pundits talking shit these days.