2018 in sport

MDK

Highlights?

England winning on penalties:

I literally don't remember a time England won in a penalty shoot out in a World Cup. Last time was Euro '96 against Spain and that was the fuckin EURO's. Being able to replace "Alright mate" with "s coming home" as a greeting was amazing.

Dina Asher-Smith killing it and the Netball team at the Commonwealth Games as well.

• Haha 1

No joke on nothing, but 2018 was perhaps my least favorite sports year ever.

Alabama came from behind to once again win the college football National Championship. 

The Eagles won the Super Bowl.

We got the Warriors and Cavaliers once again in the NBA Finals.

The Red Sox won the World Series.

And despite a 12-0 regular season, Notre Dame just got destroyed in the College Football Playoff.

So yeah, sports in 2018 can get fucked yo.

• Like 1

I can’t think of much to be honest. 

The World Cup as a whole was a tremendous surprise in terms of the amount of quality games. Apart from that, nothing really of note.

Come to think of it, Jimmy Anderson becoming the record test-wicket taker against India was a fantastic moment.

Well, Swansea were finally relegated after several bad seasons and Cardiff went up. Ugh.

World Cup as a whole paired with the summer weather was brilliant. Getting to experience England's tournament while living in England was fun, felt like almost everyone was involved.

I enjoyed Geraint Thomas' success although I didn't watch a second of the Tour.

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder having a class heavyweight fight, and that last round survival.

England's World Cup run was fun, of course. It's easy to forget that it was aided in no small part by a favourable draw, but it cheered people up for a little while, which was desperately needed.

Club football has been utter bollocks, though. My club of choice looks set to be relegated out of the Football League. This time last year, they were in the midst of a promotion push.

I enjoyed the Winter Olympics, particularly Lizzy Yarnold's winning run in the skeleton. Watching Elise Christie was sad, on the other hand.

Tennis was largely an Indian summer for the old guard, except for Andy Murray. Kyle Edmund's run in the Australian Open was nice, even if he didn't match those heights afterwards.

Fury/Wilder was obviously a big highlight in the boxing world, but Josh Warrington vs. Carl Frampton sounded like a classic too. Callum Johnson, who hails from my local town, also competed for a world title, and despite the fact that he lost, it was still nice to see.

The international Rugby Union scene is looking great at the moment, and it's a bit of a shame that the World Cup didn't take place in 2018. The Northern Hemisphere sides are proving to be a match for their Southern counterparts more than ever, and I really hope that's still the case when the World Cup comes around towards the end of this year. Naturally, I'll be hoping for a good showing from England, but it would be good to see a Northern winner of any description.

I'll also give a mention to snooker, my favourite game. Maybe it's not really a sport, but it's officially recognised as such, so sod off with your pedantry. Mark Williams winning the World Championship fifteen years after his last Crucible triumph was memorable in its own right, but more so because it took a few days' attention away from Ronnie O'Sullivan, who I wish would go away and never come back.

The Jazz run at the end of the NBA season was pretty awesome. 

The Jazz run to start the new NBA season hasn't been very good.

The Orioles are being called the worse team in professional sports, ever.

The Utah Utes got destroyed in their bowl game yesterday. 

So, not a very good year, overall.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MDK said:

I literally don't remember a time England won in a penalty shoot out in a World Cup.

That's because it's the first time we ever have, isn't it?

I agree that that moment and basically the entire tournament for England was the sporting highlight of the year. It was a brilliant month for the country.

Thomas winning le Tour, Edmund's progression in tennis was great too. Kerber beating Serena for the Wimbledon title was great. Rovers have become good again and Sam Allardyce finally fucked off.

8 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

That's because it's the first time we ever have, isn't it?

I agree that that moment and basically the entire tournament for England was the sporting highlight of the year. It was a brilliant month for the country.

Thomas winning le Tour, Edmund's progression in tennis was great too. Kerber beating Serena for the Wimbledon title was great. Rovers have become good again and Sam Allardyce finally fucked off.

Didn't we beat Spain in one, or was that in the Euros?

(Sir) Alastair Cook's final game was just utterly incredible, from his making a century in his final innings to Jimmy Anderson taking the final wicket of his best mate's England career to become the most successful fast bowler of all time. Granted I watched a documentary on it last night so it's fresh in my mind.

The Timberwolves winning in OT in the final regular season game to get into the play-offs ahead of the defeated Nuggets was the one and only highlight of their year.

The World Cup was fun from start to finish, even outside of the England matches.

Also Spurs finished ahead of Arsenal, so that was nice.

Divock Origi 96th minute.  

Liverpool's 2018 as a whole has been great to watch. A fun and fantastic Champions League run in which we just came up short. Improving the team as a whole and having a title challenge that feels different to the 13/14 one which was driven on by emotion at times. 

The World Cup was a lot more entertaining than I thought and it was nice for people getting behind England considering how divided the country is. 

Fury/Wilder was entertaining and a big fight that Heavyweight boxing has needed. A lot of the British fighters have been smashing in on the world stage too. 

On 01/01/2019 at 11:05, Meacon said:

No joke on nothing, but 2018 was perhaps my least favorite sports year ever.

Alabama came from behind to once again win the college football National Championship. 

The Eagles won the Super Bowl.

We got the Warriors and Cavaliers once again in the NBA Finals.

The Red Sox won the World Series.

And despite a 12-0 regular season, Notre Dame just got destroyed in the College Football Playoff.

So yeah, sports in 2018 can get fucked yo.

Yeah, I agree. 

Detroit Lions are doing Detroit Lions things. Tigers rebuilding. Pistons are perpetually too good for a high lottery pick but not good enough to make the playoffs. Michigan football was silly as usual. 

The Michigan basketball team is probably the best we can hope for? 

This year actually dampened my enthusiasm for sports considerably.

53 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Fury/Wilder was entertaining and a big fight that Heavyweight boxing has needed. A lot of the British fighters have been smashing in on the world stage too. 

British boxing is on a high like never before.