Hot/Controversial/Bad takes

Liam

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

That's a timely comment. It's been confirmed today that it's coming to the Switch.

That's what made me think of it. I literally got no enjoyment out of it when I played it. 

1 hour ago, Liam Mk2 said:

You have no soul.

Ginger.

1 hour ago, MexicoJack said:

Too many open world games focus on making the world big, but just end up filling them up with repetitive tasks. Far Cry games especially have this issue - and even the otherwise excellent Spider-Man suffered for how repetitive its side tasks got.

Right? I was really enjoying Spider-Man, I wanted to get the platinum... then I realized I had 40 crime missions to do. No thank you. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Right? I was really enjoying Spider-Man, I wanted to get the platinum... then I realized I had 40 crime missions to do. No thank you. 

It's why earlier in this topic I said Yakuza was the best open world game. There's more packed into the 2 games tiny little map than in any of the big budget AAA open worlds where you've got climb a goddamn radio tower or high point to unlock parts of the map.

5 minutes ago, MexicoJack said:

It's why earlier in this topic I said Yakuza was the best open world game. There's more packed into the 2 games tiny little map than in any of the big budget AAA open worlds where you've got climb a goddamn radio tower or high point to unlock parts of the map. 

Its been ages since I played it but Sleeping Dogs was open world but it always felt fresh. I'd love a sequel.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RPS said:

Explain. I don't understand your point. 

Haha I wasn't very clear to be fair.

Sure.

Just looking at the Wiki article for "games that contain Mario": Mario Tennis games, Mario Party games, Mario + Rabbids, Mario in Nintendo ports of Minecraft, Mario & Sonic Olympics games, Mario Golf, Fortune Street, Mario Sports Mix, Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics, Mario Super Sluggers, Mario Strikers, Mario Hoops, SSX On Tour has Mario, NBA Street V3 has Mario, Mario Pinball etc etc etc.

There are just so many games that rely on, or make heavy use of Mario to sell it. Just make a good golf game, or Olympics, or football, or tennis game and don't be bound to the whole Mario look and style.

I know it's a weird, personal gripe but I just remember when I worked at Gamestation during the PS3/360/Wii launches and they would all release a football, or tennis, or Olympics game or whatever but the Wii's would invariably be MARIO!

The Mario platform, Dr. Mario, Mario Kart etc games are classics of their genres, but shoehorning him into other games has always weirdly annoyed me.

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Its been ages since I played it but Sleeping Dogs was open world but it always felt fresh. I'd love a sequel.

Sleeping Dogs had Ladyhawke on the soundtrack, making it the greatest game soundtrack of all time.

5 hours ago, Cymbols said:

@OctoberRaven Not sure if there's a hard and fast rule, but you might wanna put your last post in spoiler tags. Fairly new game, and I know a couple of the guys on here are still playing through it.

What, the one about cougars and John Marston? Cause.... that was a joke about how ridiculously aggressive, common, and lethal cougars are in RDR1.

2 hours ago, Azazel said:

Using Suplex on the Ghost Train in Final Fantasy VI is the best glitch in video game history.

You cannot suplex bosses but for some reason you can do it on this one single boss, who also happens to be a ghost train.

Is that a glitch?

On 25/02/2019 at 09:58, RPS said:

AC and RDR2 were two games that I was specifically thinking about when it came to bulky games with too many features and none of which are engaging or interesting. RDR2 looks like an outstanding piece of art. But it does not look like a fun video game. 

On 25/02/2019 at 11:29, RPS said:

I truthfully have never played the game, but from the descriptions and videos I have seen, I don't think I would like it. I am a sucker for precise controls and being immersed in the gameplay experience. The second I hit a button and the intended effect does not occur, I get upset. 

I've always been a fan of the grind, just mindlessly doing fights and exploration while watching videos or listening to podcasts. As a kid I'd listen to sports talk radio and grind Final Fantasy battles. I've never been much good at real precise games, like FPS, I'm only good on the sticks with sports games, so story driven experiences with lots of shit to kill, collect, and explore, and if they're based on real history or have interesting world building, even better. 

I totally get where you're coming from, though. There definitely has been somewhat of a dearth of non-FPS games with tight, technical gameplay. 

3 hours ago, Ruki said:

Is that a glitch?

Technically it's a bug as the programmers forgot to make it immune to Sabin's techs, but yeah pretty much.

Also one of the earlier examples of the 'kill an undead foe by healing it' trope IIRC.

2 hours ago, Cymbols said:

WMMA is way more fun than TEW/EWR. Nothing wrong with the wrestling ones, I do enjoy them, WMMA is just a lot more fun to play in my opinion.

I haven't played TEW beyond the demos, but I've got a lot out of WMMA and agree with you. I've enjoyed playing through saves in which I work through the business side of things, and also those in which I turn on the fantasy settings and see how the world unfolds.