1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

MGTH is good. Would agree that it is a better song that Where Is My Mind, which, while I liked it at first I've heard it so much that I pretty realised what a flimsy song it actually is. MGTH has a lot more going on.

Who are the Sundays? Is this another of these Australian bands? I've never heard this before but I like it.

Lullaby is great. Disintegration is such a big brooding monster of an album and Lullaby captures quite a lot of that. Great stuff. Was quite surprised to find out it is the Cure's highest charting single though, as they've had quite a lot of tunes that are much more instant that this one.

I like Tom Pretty but Free Fallin' is shit. Irritating nasal vocals (I know this is Tom Petty, but it's too much here. Banal lyrics. IT'S PRODUCED BY JEFF LYNNE YUCK and it has those awful sounding drums that you get in every Jeff Lynne song. It's a dirge that goes nowhere.

I get why people like this Sinead O'Connor one. I understand why people think it is great. But it's never really done it for me. I don't dislike it, but I don't like it that much either. It might have suffered a bit from over-exposure. When the Prince one surfaced in 2018 I enjoyed that a bit more due to the novelty factor, but I'd still say the O'Connor version is easily the superior one, despite my own (lack of) feelings for it.

That's probably my favorite Pixies song. It's crowded up top but everytime I hear Monkey Gone to Heaven I'm just put in such a good place.

I got nothing out of The Sundays song.

"Lullaby" is a really great Cure track. They have so many. I have to agree this particular era from The Cure is so on point and powerful. Firing on all cylinders as a group.

I have a soft spot for Tom Petty, and "Free Fallin" is one of my favorites.

I think @metalman articulated my thoughts on Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U" well. She's best known for tearing up the picture of the Pope trying to alert people to sex abuse being covered up by the Pope. And it's unfortunate her career in popular music was effectively ended for it.

‘The Humpty Dance’, Digital Underground (1989)

Influenced by: Let’s Play House • Parliament (1980)  

Influence on: If U Can’t Dance • Spice Girls (1997)   

Covered by: F.O. the Smack Magnet (2000)   

Other key tracks: Doowutchyalike (1989) • The Way We Swing (1989) • Gutfest ’89 (1989) • Rhymin’ on the Funk (1989) • The Danger Zone (1989)

According to this book, this aimed to sit squarely in the middle of the aggressive rap of NWA and the radio friendly offerings of your MC Hammer types. This is definitely something that I personally enjoyed, the funky rhythms accompanied by risqué and playful lyrics. Like a lot of these style of songs so far in the list, the importance can be seen in the number of artists after the song came out who sampled it in their own music. Another interesting tidbit was that the promotional work for the song saw them joined by a young dancer who would go on to his own fame as Tupac Shakur.

‘Back to Life (How Ever Do You Want Me), Soul II Soul (1989)

Influenced by: The Jam • Graham Central Station (1976)  

Influence on: Unfinished Sympathy • Massive Attack (1991)   

Covered by: Dodgy (1994) • The Reelists featuring Ms. Dynamite (2002)

I was born in 1986, so we are beginning to enter the realm of songs that I remember hearing in the car when I was a four, five, six year old child. This is one I very much remember and it comes with a pleasant nostalgia attached to it. This was the third recording of the song apparently, though seemingly the addition of the ‘How ever do you want me’ refrain was what made the song break out in the manner it did when compared to the other versions. It is the stand out bit of the song to be fair and the bit you remember outside of the introduction. Can imagine this was a banger on many a dance floor.

‘Nothing Has Been Proved’, Dusty Springfield (1989)

Influenced by: Private Dancer • Tina Turner (1984)   

Influence on: Jesus to a Child • George Michael (1996)   

Covered by: Pet Shop Boys (2006)   

Other key tracks: I Just Don’t Know What to Do with Myself (1964) • Some of Your Lovin’ (1965) • Goin’ Back (1966) • You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me (1966)

I very legitimately had no idea that Dusty Springfield was still releasing songs during this time period, nor did I realise that this was a song by her as it is definitely one that I have heard before. My mind completely wiped it from my memory it would seem until this very moment. This went with a film about the Profumo affair and the lyrics harken back to the unravelling outrage of the time. Neil Tennant suggested Springfield due to her being a popular singer of the time period and due to the fact that they had collaborated on a song in 1987. It is a wise choice as there is a smoky sultriness to her vocals that lift what might have otherwise been something quite mundane. The orchestration also helps to give everything a hint of the epic.

‘Headlights on the Parade’, Blue Nile (1989)

Influenced by: Time it’s Time • Talk Talk (1986)   

Influence on: Barefoot in the Head • A Man Called Adam (1990)   

Other key tracks: Stay (1984) • Tinseltown in the Rain (1984) • The Downtown Lights (1989) • From a Late Night Train (1989) • Let’s Go Out Tonight (1989)

I was all set to dislike this in the opening ten to twenty seconds, yet as I listened to more of it, I began to enjoy it. It doesn’t compete with my other favourite songs from this era by any means, but the emotive delivery of Paul Buchanan over the top of twinkling synths create an engaging sound. There is an element here of a band that I can appreciate the craft of what they have created with this song, even if it isn’t a band I’d like to listen a lot more to if I’m being entirely honest.

‘Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns’, Mother Love Bone (1989)

This is a strange one as I’ve heard Temple of the Dog, a tribute to Andrew Wood, but never Mother Love Bone themselves. I am a big fan of Pearl Jam as well, meaning it is interesting to hear Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament in a group before Pearl Jam. This is excellent. As the title gives away, this was two songs sequenced together (Crown of Thorns was available separately, whilst Chloe Dancer wasn’t). A heartfelt emotive vocal that apparently covered Wood’s relationship with his on/off girlfriend, atmospheric guitar and trance-like drum eventually bursts into life in the final two minutes to take this song over the top for me in terms of quality. This is up there with the best songs I’ve liked from the grunge-era bands I am in to and really showcased what they were capable of.

• Like 1

As an aside I just picked up the film equivalent of this list. Its a pretty hench book at over 900 pages. Setting myself a challenge of going through them all. Might take a couple of years. 

• Like 1

@metalman The Sundays were one of innumerable Rough Trade jangly indie sad bands, they're nice, but not sure how they made the list.

I'm a big Mother Love Bone fan; very much the music I grew up with, thanks to an older brother who was in at the ground floor on the whole grunge thing. 

• Like 1

It's interesting we've gotten both Mudhoney and Mother Love Bone, but didn't get Green River. The whole grunge sound is something that definitely takes me back to some of my first exposures to music. It's fun to still discover some new layers to the Seattle scene. There was such an amazing assortment of ideas going on there and I don't think there was a truly unified sound, but at least among these pre-Nirvana and pre-Pearl Jam groups there was a particular ethos they all brought into their music. Not that it didn't carry forward into the next generation (the one that broke out globally), but it was a lot more polished from the early days of Sub Pop.

Back To Life is great, Soul II Soul had loads of great songs.

Was a bit upset when I saw Pet Shop Boys and Dustry Springfield and it wasn't What Have I Done to Deserve This. That's one of my favourite songs ever.

The Blue Nile are great, both their first two albums are incredible, there's nothing quite like them.

‘Rhythm Nation’, Janet Jackson (1989)

A more culturally aware Janet Jackson than I knew existed, the album this came from as a whole was one that tackled various social issues such as drug addiction and child poverty. This feels somewhat ahead of its time for 1989, a meld of funk, dance, pop and samples that sounds positively futuristic in comparison to what has come before it. The black and white video and stark lyrics are somewhat at odds with the choreographed dancing, but like her brother Michael, I believe Janet was someone who benefited from the whole package that was afforded to people through music videos as well as albums.

‘Painkiller’, Judas Priest (1990)

Influenced by: Wake up Dead • Megadeth (1986)   

Influence on: Angel in Black • Primal Fear (2001)   

Covered by: Angra (1996) • Death (1998) • Biomechanical (2005)   

Other key tracks: Battle Hymn (1990) • A Touch of Evil (1991) • Night Crawler (1992)

We crash into a new decade with this song from Judas Priest, a band that I’ve never hugely been into. My biggest issue has often been Rob Halford’s vocal style – I’m just not a fan of that high-pitched metal wail that he utilises. However, it is hard not to get swept up in the guitar and drum work on this track. From the opening moment, you are propelled towards the finish, ably assisted by an excellent solo mid-track. Apparently, fans didn’t take to the new material in the way the band expected, though it has gone on to be considered one of if not their best album.

‘Loaded’, Primal Scream (1990)

Influenced by: Sympathy for the Devil • The Rolling Stones (1968)   

Influence on: Butcher Blues • Kasabian (2004)  

Other key tracks: Higher Than the Sun (1991) • Inner Flight (1991) • Movin’ on Up (1991) • Rocks (1994) • Burning Wheel (1997) • Kowalski (1997) • Star (1997)

I once saw Primal Scream live in the middle of a Reading Festival day that was due to end with Metallica and System of a Down. I didn’t really know who they were (I knew some of their songs, but didn’t know they were by Primal Scream’), but they were by far the best band I saw up until that point – perhaps not hard when compared to Sugarcult and Good Charlotte. That doesn’t really have much to do with the song itself, but they have always been a band that I’ve liked more than I realised I guess is the point I’m making. I think they have better songs than this one, though it does encapsulate the blissed out rock that was part of their sound. Enjoyable, if not mindblowing.

‘Iceblink Luck’, The Cocteau Twins (1990)

Influenced by: Down • A. R. Kane (1989)   

Influence on: Fallen • One Dove (1991)  

Covered by: Mephisto Walz (2000)   

Other key tracks: Pearly Dew Drops Drops (1984) • Blue Bell Knoll (1988) • Pitch the Baby (1990) • Fifty-Fifty Clown (1990)

My only knowledge of The Cocteau Twins was listening to a song based off of a Deftones cover of ‘Wax and Wane’. According to the book, this was a step towards the more comprehensible, considering the band had often produced vocals that were hard to understand, let alone interpret. The production on this makes everything feel suitable epic and shiny, especially the double tracked vocals that gives it a punch that I much appreciated. I’m not sure this will inspire me to check out more, but it is a very good song.

‘Birdhouse in your Soul’, They Might Be Giants (1990)

Another band whose name stands out enough to make them a band that many are probably aware of without necessarily having listened to anything by them. This is a song I know, though I could never have named it or placed it to a band. This to me feels very in keeping with an American-style of indie/alternative music that you find in bands like Presidents of the United States of America, Ben Folds Five (with less piano) and Eels. It means your mileage might vary depending on what you feel about that style of music. Myself? I’ve always enjoyed it and this – from melody to vocals – is an absolute ear worm.

• Like 1

I like Painkiller, although I think Priest's best material came earlier. I'm quite surprised to see Painkiller on this list when they had other songs that are probably a bit better known. Still, it's nice to have some Judas Priest representation. I've been disappointed that Ronnie James Dio hasn't made an appearance at all.

I had no idea Painkiller was as late as 1990! Top song though, probs my favourite by Judas Priest (although I'm by no means an authority on them). Loaded and the Cocteau Twins are great too.

TMBG are on of those bands that have been around for ages that I've never really listened to. Mainly because I hate that shit Istanbul not Constantinople one that losers on Internet forums always post whenever Istanbul is mentioned in a topic because a lifetime of memes, Youtube videos, wrestling and shit gifs means that they lack any better cultural reference for one of the most historically significant cities in the world. (and yes I know it's a cover - the original is shit too) This Birdhouse one is pretty decent though.

Rhythm Nation is good. Janet was easily the best Jackson by this point - obviously the previous best Jackson was Joe Jackson (not the bad dad one).

TMBG are pretty amazing - everything about them is fascinating in one way or another. Dial-A-Song was such an innovative idea at the time. These are still pretty shallow picks, but some of my fave of their songs that get top playtime on their albums. They're GREAT with their fans and many of them (including my ex) get yearly memberships that get them swag and 1 free concert ticket, though many of them still follow them city to city and see multiple shows in a single shot.

And regarding Birdhouse In Your Souls - I absolutely have a blue canary night light because of that song.

Painkiller is quintessential heavy metal for me. I recently did a listen through of JP's discography and it was equally their best album (tied with with Screaming for Vengeance). 

‘Energy Flash’, Joey Beltram (1990)

Ermm, I think this is the right song. Like any dance song, there are about a bajillion different versions, so if I’m not identifying the one that the book is specifically referencing, apologies. This isn’t really my cup of tea, yet the allure is obvious. Pulsing beats and pulsating high hat tones comes together to create a very simple, but very danceable tune. An even more simple vocal loop repeats the word ‘ecstasy’, making it all too obvious what this song is an ode to. One for the ravers amongst us.

‘Bonita Applebum’, A Tribe Called Quest (1990)

– album version

I threw up both the video and the album version as there was some suggestion of a difference between the album version and the one that got released. The biggest ear-opener so to speak for me is that guitar twang that would go on to be used in ‘Killing Me Softly’ I believe, though the lyrics also are an ode to the aforementioned Bonita as Q-Tip even promised to wear a condom if she wanted him to, or ‘crazy prophylactics’. There is a relaxed vibe to this seduction, something which makes this a pleasant outlier compared to some of the raunchier songs from the genre in the decades that follow. Not that I am a prude, but things are a fair bit tamer here and for the better considering the tone set by the music.

‘Little Fluffy Clouds’, The Orb (1990)

Again, I assume this is the right song as there are different mixes. This was – according to the book – one of the first trance records to infiltrate the mainstream. A mixture of spoken words, myriad samples and a pulsating beat, there is something quite hypnotic about the track from the opening seconds. This actually caused some legal issues as the main ‘vocals’ were Rickie Lee Jones talking on a promo interview for her own album in 1989, leading to her publisher requesting compensation. This isn’t really a style of music I like, but I do enjoy this song – it is difficult not to get swept along for the ride.

‘Three Days’, Jane’s Addicition (1990)

Influenced by: The Song Remains the Same • Led Zeppelin (1973)   

Influence on: Boatman • DJ Frane (1999)   

Other key tracks: Been Caught Stealing (1990) • Classic Girl (1990) • Stop! (1990)

Jane’s Addiction are a band I missed the first time around (I was only 4, to be fair), and have only really heard music from their comeback towards the turn of the century, or whenever ‘Just Because’ came out. This was a band who were in the process of falling apart, whether due to personal rivalries, drugs, or both. Considering ‘Ritual de lo Habitual’ was considered something of a classic, this was apparently the only song in which all bands members ended up in the studio at the same time. It is impressive that a band who were falling apart at the seams created this sprawling epic, poetic and powerful all at once. This is an absolute banger and unlike some songs I’ve enjoyed but felt no compulsion to check out the rest of the band’s work, this does make me want to check out that album at least.

‘Dub Be Good To Me’, Beats International (19900

Influenced by: Just Be Good to Me • The S.O.S. Band (1983)

Influence on: Just Be Good to Me • Groove Diggerz featuring Lindy Layton (2009)   

Covered by: Faithless & Dido (2002) • Jack Peñate (2007) • The Ting Tings (2009)

Before going into this further, it is worth noting that I never knew Norman Cook was involved in this. It was a cover as such, yet Cook threw a few other bits at it, such as harmonica taken from Ennio Morricone’s ‘Once Upon a Time in America’ soundtrack and the bass line from ‘Guns of Brixton’ by The Clash. Whatever he did, he did it right as it went all the way to number one in the UK. It was a song that I remember enjoying when young and it still works for me now. It is an interesting and inventive cover, taking the original and looking to introduce it to a new audience.

• Like 1

"Rhythm Nation" is one of the best pop songs ever recorded. It could come out today and people would be praising it as reinventing what we expect from pop music. The entire album it's on is simply a masterpiece.

"Painkiller" is a 90's song?! Wow. I think it's one of Judas Priest's very best. Very much encapsulates the sound I expect from them.

I've never really delved into Primal Scream.

The Cocteau Twins are a wonderful, dreamy group who take me back to college years of sitting around and being a bit stoned at all times.

I know some people love TMBG, and I've enjoyed everything I've heard from them. Hopefully one day I'll give their whole catalog a serious listen.

Very eclectic assortment in the next batch. I will say "Bonita Applebaum" is my clear favorite of the bunch. From those aforementioned days of college to now it's one of my absolute all-time favorites. And I think at this point ATCQ are my favorite hip-hop group. That sitar sample at the start is from Rotary Connection's "Memory Band". It's been used all over the place.

I think I listened to that Orb track 12-13 years ago and thought it wasn't for me. That style of trance has never fully clicked for me.

Jane's Addiction put out some really amazing stuff. It's a sound almost entirely their own and they play it so tight. Like a group of guys who were all meant to be in the same band, but only briefly so they didn't fade away.

A Tribe Called Quest! Finally a hip hop artist that I like! And I love them. Bonita Applebum is great. I'm not really a lyrics guy so I'm not really a hip hop guy, but A Tribe Called Quest always have such great beats and samples.

Energy Flash is great too. I'm not a raver or an MDMAer but I love the music. Same goes for the Orb.

Dub Be Good To Me is good, but I actually prefer the version with Lily Allen. Shudder.

I don't really care about Jane's Addiction. I don't dislike them. I'm just not interested in them.

Some thoughts here and there:

The Blue Nile are a band I know first and foremost due to someone else really loving them more than me personally really loving them, but I do think they create a really interesting, atmospheric take on '80s pop. One of my very favorite moments with music this year was listening to A Walk Across the Rooftops, their debut album, because it's in 1001 Albums. I was listening to it while lying in the hammock in my backyard and it lulled me to sleep, and when I woke up I was greeted with the sight of a couple of stray balloons floating through an otherwise-clear sky while the music played on. That's kind of what I think about them, not a band that I get deeply into listening to in and of themselves but a band that makes music that can serve as a wonderful backdrop for other things.

"Rhythm Nation" is a hell of a song. For me, Control is the superior Janet album from that time period but "Rhythm Nation" stands up as maybe her best song outright.

I really like They Might Be Giants (was supposed to see them on the Flood 30th anniversary tour this year, but alas...), but they're a weird one in the sense that nearly every TMBG album has songs I like and dislike in equal measure. They're quirky in a way where the songs sometimes really hit for me and sometimes I just can't wait for them to be over. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" is pretty inarguable, though, and probably the most accessible, universal song they made. Frankly, a "here's a summary of what I really love about They Might Be Giants" playlist might be fun to compile.

A Tribe Called Quest rule, of course. "Bonita Applebaum" isn't anywhere close to one of my favorite songs by them but it's hard to go wrong with their greatest hits.

Lot of dance/house/trance popping up around this time period. Never found my way into that stuff so it's all usually more miss than hit for me. Kind of wish I'd gone to dance clubs when I was younger just for the experience but I... was not in a social circle where I'd know someone who'd have wanted to do that.