1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

Losing My Religion is a really good song, and I'd never really considered that until recently because I'd heard it so much. The little mandolin fills at the start of each verse are my favourite part.

Life is not a highway tho

That Lenny Kravitz song isn't bad by any means but I also don't see the point of it. It's regurgitated blues rock that was done way better in the 60s with annoying compressed early 90s production added.

I quite like this Australian one.

Unfinished Sympathy is great and maybe the best of the 90s SO FAR.

‘Justified and Ancient’, The KLF featuring Tammy Wynette (1991)

This is a bit bloody mental. I don’t really know the full story behind The KLF, but know that they were a bit out there and that’s putting it mildly. However, getting Tammy Wynette to collaborate on this house-y hip-hop-y track is pretty impressive no matter which way you slice it. It also really works in my opinion; the strength of Wynette’s vocals working well alongside a lively backing tune. I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised.

‘Enter Sandman’, Metallica (1991)

Can you really cover ‘Enter Sandman’ on a wrestling message board without thinking somewhat positively about the song? Naturally, it is hard to disassociate from many a wild entry into the ECW Arena, but it is a really good song in and of itself. Though ‘The Black Album’ had seen Metallica move away a bit from the all-out aural assault of some previous albums, this showed that they could still rock when they chose to. A loud headbanger to shout along to and enjoy.

‘Weather With You’, Crowded House (1991)

Influenced by: I’m Only Sleeping • The Beatles (1966)   

Influence on: Girl Inform Me • The Shins (2001)   

Covered by: Voice Male (1999) • Clouseau (2000) • Aswad (2002) • Andrea Zonn (2003) • Ian McCulloch (2003) • Jimmy Buffett (2006)

I unashamedly love this song. Crowded House were one of my Dad’s favourite bands and the Finns were great songwriters that knew how to throw together engaging lyrics, adult themes and pop sensibilities into something really good. I’m not sure if I can sell Crowded House as one of the best and brightest or most skilful bands of all time, but there are few artists that I enjoy listened to as much as I do Crowded House. ‘Weather With You’ is probably the best they had to offer, though they do have a whole raft of other worthwhile singles.

‘You Got The Love’, The Source featuring Candi Staton (1991)

Influenced by: Move On Up a Little Higher • Mahalia Jackson (1948)   

Influence on: I Know • New Atlantic (1991)

Covered by: Florence & The Machine (2008)   

Other key tracks: He Called Me Baby (1970) • Young Hearts Run Free (1976) • Suspicious Minds (1982)

CHOON!

‘Blind Willie Mctell’, Bob Dylan (1991)

First written in 1983, this finally saw a release on a compilation of rarities and unreleased songs in 1991. Blind Willie Mctell was a musician that Dylan had drawn a lot of influence from and you can hear his reverence throughout the song. Spare in its instrumentation, it amplifies Dylan’s poetic lyrics in a song that I felt I wasn’t going to care too much for, yet I couldn’t help but enjoy.

• Like 1

That is a fantastic list.

The KLF were more interesting as an ongoing, slightly irritating art project than as a band - burning a million quid, the "how to have a hit single" book, and all the mad Justified Ancients of Mu Mu nonsense - but I have a real soft spot for them. They deleted their back catalogue the year after this single. It's a great fun track, though, if very of its time.

I'm not a Metallica fan any more, but "Enter Sandman" is one of a handful of their songs that deserves the success they've had, just a brilliantly constructed, memorable hard rock track that builds brilliantly from an initial great riff.

Not my favourite Crowded House single - that would be "Don't Dream Its Over" - but this is the one I remember being played on local radio all the time when I was a kid. It's just a nice song, nothing more spectacular than that.

I love Candi Staton, I think "Young Hearts Run Free" might be the best pop song of the '70s, and she's equally brilliant with The Source. Again, it's very of its time, but wonderfully, evocatively so, rather than feeling dated. I can't imagine not liking this song.

Blind Willie McTell is a good Dylan song.

• Like 1

I love "Blind Willie McTell". The preciviously unreleased stuff that usually ends up on Bob Dylan  compilations often yields better songs than Bob Dylan albums.

Especially considering how crap his output for most of the 80s was.

I really like Justified and Ancient. I’m a big fan of that kind of racer soundscape, I like a lot of those tunes.

Enter Sandman is quite good.

Weather With You is quite good too. I don’t think I know any other songs by Crowded H.

Young Hearts Run Free is definitely one of the very best songs of the last 50 years, good shout. YGTL is good too. Endless really good remixes of it too, I’m not really sure what my favourite version of it is.

Blind Willie McTell is good too. Bobby D was not very good around this time but this one of the few exceptions.

‘Move Any Mountain – Progen 91’, The Shamen (1991)

We’re beginning to move even further into the dance, techno, house-era of things. It isn’t really for me if I’m being honest, but I can always see the allure and have enjoyed a number of songs from those realms. This doesn’t do much for me, though I guess it was one that probably was an eye-opener when it was first released and has been somewhat usurped by what followed. One of more interesting bits of the book mentioned how this song made inroads in the US market, though tragically the bassist drowned when on the trip that saw them record the video for the song (I’ll be honest – I’m not sure if it this video).

‘How I Could Just Kill A Man’, Cypress Hill (1991)

I’m not a huge Cypress Hill fan, yet as a rock and metal listener, I’ve often been able to enjoy a tune or two from the group. It was rap that was engaging for alternative music fans as well, without really compromising too much of what made it a good rap song. They were probably an act who were more revolutionary than I have ever given them credit for and this was their debut, so it makes sense to throw them on the list.

‘Cop Killer’, Body Count (1992)

I’ve never heard a single song by Body Count for some reason. It has just never crossed my path and I’ve never sought it out. However, this is an interesting choice from a social perspective as it caused significant controversy after riots in the US turned the spotlight towards censorship and the arts. The song isn’t really great in my opinion, but in terms of a statement of protest/call to violence, it is important. I can also imagine a mosh-pit/live crowd with this song and a few hundred like-minded people could be something pretty crazy.

‘Pretend We’re Dead’, L7 (1992)

Influenced by: Wooly Bully • Sam the Sham & The Pharoahs (1965)   

Influence on: I Wanna Be Your Lush • Fluffy (1996)  

Covered by: CSS (2007)   

Other key tracks: Shove (1990) • Everglade (1992) • Mr. Integrity (1992) • Andres (1994)

To what extent it is true is up for debate, but the book seems to credit the success of Nirvana with opening the door for acts like L7 to enter the mainstream. To be fair, that might undervalue a song that hits all the right notes when it comes to being an anthem for apathy. The story of the lead singer throwing her tampon into the crowd at Reading Festival was something I vaguely remembered, but never attached to the band who wrote this song and the song which I enjoyed on Rock Band 2.

‘My Drug Buddy’, The Lemonheads (1992)

Influenced by: Sin City • The Flying Burrito Brothers (1969)   

Influence on: Sorted For E’s & Wizz • Pulp (1995)   

Covered by: Juliana Hatfield and Evan Dando (1994) • Anthony Green (2005)

Who doesn’t want to enjoy an acoustic ode to a drug friend? I’ve not heard much by the Lemonheads or Evan Dando himself, yet I have always felt that I would enjoy them if I gave them more time. It really does play into a brand of music that I’ve enjoyed more as I’ve got older. Apparently, Dando was very openly into drugs and was perhaps naively willing to sing about that in this song. I like the dark topic mixed with the very light and airy instrumentation, though it doesn’t rise quite above just being good for me.

• Like 1

basically agree that "Cop Killer" is a song I find more interesting and worth supporting than something I'd actually want to listen to. I like the song they put out this year on the same, sadly timeless subject, a lot more.

I love "Pretend We're Dead." A great, deeply catchy song that's a good snapshot of grunge even though I don't know if L7 are really fully classified as that. Video games definitely had a huge hand in bringing that song back into the public consciousness, for me it was GTA San Andreas that really introduced me to it since alternative rock radio wasn't playing it anymore by the time I started reaching the age where I'd want to listen to that.

"My Drug Buddy" is another song I love, honestly one of my very favorites. The morning show I used to listen to on the radio going to high school used to play it all the time (and I think still does, it's still the same guy hosting the same show). I love mellow songs like that, and I like how matter of fact it is. If not for the title/chorus and one or two lines ("There's still some of the same stuff we got yesterday") it's really just a song about meeting up with a friend and not really doing much of anything, just kind of going along in a pleasant haze. That whole album's good, though I think it gets overshadowed by the "Mrs. Robinson" cover that's... perfectly fine but nothing special, one of those just okay covers of a classic rock song that alternative rock radio used to adore.

• Like 2

I don't know if they're the songs I'd have gone from for Lemonheads or L7, but glad to see them make the list. Even though most of it ended up being variations on theme of two guitars and a drumkit, the '90s always felt like there was the potential of something genuinely new to come out of the rock scene, so alongside grunge you had riot grrrl going on, plus the more college rock/indie side of things from The Lemonheads, and R.E.M. starting to become recognised as a major player, plus more interesting stuff like Morphine. 

The Lemonheads are a band I've always loved, and Evan Dando's solo work is lovely too - he just has a drawn out, mellow singing style that really works for me. A friend of mine was a music journalist who had a crush on him from way back in the '90s, and he was such a prick to her in an interview a few years back that he made her cry. He was in the UK for a wedding, which he then got too fucked up to attend. So there's that.

‘Shake Your Head’, Was (Not Was) (1992)

Influenced by: Kissing with Confidence • Will Powers (1983)   

Influence on: Everybody’s Free (to Wear Sunscreen) • Baz Luhrmann (1999)   

Covered by: C. C. Catch (2003)

Is it just me, or did everything start to get a bit bloody weird in the 90s? This not only has Ozzy Osbourne…I guess rapping…in an unlikely duet with Kim Basinger. My understanding is that the vocals were originally done by Madonna, but with this being a remix and following legal wranglings the first time, she was removed to be replaced by Basinger. I do quite like it, but it is clearly here for novelty it seems to me.

‘Motorcycle Emptiness’, The Manic Street Preachers (1992)

Influenced by: Sweet Child o’ Mine • Guns N’ Roses (1987)   

Influence on: Some Kind of Bliss • Kylie Minogue (1997)   

Covered by: Stealth Sonic Orchestra (1996) • Millennium (2001)

I internally underrate the Manics: there are very few of their songs I don’t at least enjoy, yet I often don’t really think of them when thinking about the bands I like. Admittedly, most of my interest in them as a band is post-Richey Edwards, so this is a novel experience, though the song vaguely rings a bell. Bradfield on vocals is an acquired taste I think, but I’ve always enjoyed his earnest style, whilst the guitar work in the background of this song takes it to that next level for me instead of being a middling indie track. A strong outing from their debut album.

‘Creep’, Radiohead (1992)

Influenced by: The Air That I Breathe • The Hollies (1974)   

Influence on: Jeannie’s Diary • Eels (2000)   

Covered by: The Pretenders (1995) • Sentenced (1998) • Scarling (2003) • Sophie Koh (2006) • Korn (2007) • Anberlin (2007) • Amanda Palmer (2009)

It must be difficult if you are a band who go on to be a creative whirlwind in your later years, yet you are mainly known for one song that isn’t necessarily representative of what you are capable of. Radiohead don’t particularly like ‘Creep’ and they have far surpassed it in the albums that followed in my eyes, but it isn’t hard to see the allure. The outsider lyrics and the soft/loud dynamic make it an easy song to mope or shout along to, depending on what your personal preference (or emotion) was.

‘Killing in the Name’, Rage Against the Machine (1992)

Influenced by: Kick Out the Jams • MC5 (1969)   

Influence on: Cochise • Audioslave (2002)   

Covered by: Biffy Clyro (2008) • FourPlay String Quartet (2009)   

Other key tracks: Bullet in the Head (1992) • Tire Me (1996) • Guerrilla Radio (1999)

I’m not a massive fan of RATM in the way I think I should be, but ‘Killing in the Name’ is an absolute barnstormer of a song. At base, it is a well written and structured song. However, on top of that you throw the angular guitar, throbbing base, and pure anger of the vocals and you have one of the best songs ever in my opinion. I’ve even been known to do a really bad job of this when going to Lucky Voice for a karaoake night or two, joining songs such as ‘Two Princes’ by Spin Doctors and ‘Disco 2000’ by Pulp in my repertoire.

‘Connected’, Stereo MCs (1992)

Influenced by: Let Me Be Your Lover • Jimmy “Bo” Horne (1978)   

Influence on: Here We Go • Stakka Bo (1993)  

Covered by: Tiger Hifi (2009)   

Other key tracks: Elevate My Mind (1990) • Step It Up (1992) • Deep Down & Dirty (2001)

A song I remember well from my childhood, probably due to the ‘ah ah ah ah’ vocal that gets well lodged into your head. I think this is very much of its time, but it was a song that felt catchy and cool in equal measure. The book claims that Stereo MCs were one of the first viable British hip-hop acts and with this being their biggest song, it probably isn’t a surprise to see them pop up on the list.

• Like 1

I really love "Shake Your Head," particularly the 12" mix that seems impossible to find legally unless I want to track down that Best Of it was on. I had never heard it before this book turned me on to it and it's such a great, peculiar slice of early '90s dance pop in the vein of Deee-Lite, even though a lot of it was recorded in the early '80s. Here's the Madonna version, recorded just before she the biggest pop star in the world. I actually like Basinger on the song a little better, she's obviously not as good a singer but I think she delivers the lines better.

"Killing in the Name Of" is hilarious because of how many people miss the point of it, politically. I guess "fuck you, I won't do what you tell me" is easier to latch onto than "some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses."

9 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

"Killing in the Name Of" is hilarious because of how many people miss the point of it, politically. I guess "fuck you, I won't do what you tell me" is easier to latch onto than "some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses."

Just go on the Youtube video and see how many people seem to think it's a rallying cry for Trump against liberal brainwashing. We saw as much when those Trump supporters were recorded dancing to the song recently. I suppose Tom Morello's Fidel Castro t-shirts and "Fuck Trump" message written on his guitar isn't a big enough clue.

But anyway, the self-titled Rage Against The Machine album is a really strong debut record. Killing in the Name might be the song everyone knows, but there are several other tracks on there that match it for quality, in my opinion.

On 14/11/2020 at 19:39, Bobfoc said:

I suppose Tom Morello's Fidel Castro t-shirts and "Fuck Trump" message written on his guitar isn't a big enough clue.

He's one of my favourites for putdowns of idiot right-wingers who miss the point; there was a comment on his Instagram saying "just another liberal celebrity forcing their opinion down our throat" - or words to that effect - and he replied saying "you don't have to have a degree in political science from Harvard to understand....but luckily, I do have a degree in political science from Harvard".

• Like 2

"Motorcycle Emptiness" is the song that got me into the Manics; I'd kind of written them off as a boring rock band in the Britpop milieu - and, to be fair to my teenage self, a lot of their stuff is exactly that - but that track is something quite special. 

"Creep" is a great song, and I was never a Radiohead fan, so never had the complicated relationship with it as their "hit" in the same way I know other people did. It's simple, it's almost cringeworthy in how self-indulgently miserable it is, but it works