1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

29 minutes ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Garth Brook but no Chris Gaines. I see how it is.

I really dont care for that  Chris Gaines side project "Garth Brooks"

• Like 2

16 hours ago, damshow said:

Was Chris Gaines even active in 1995? Feel like he was on a much-deserved hiatus.

He had a tough  time alright. In 1990 his father died but he still released "Fornucopia". Although he did take a 2 year break following a car accident "Apostle" came out in late 94. Followed by the R&B influenced "Triangle" in 1996.

I'm sure he'll turn up for the 2000s since "The Lamb", as we all know, was the defining album of the new millennium

Champagne Supernova is dull as ditchwater. I'm by no means an Oasis hater but I can't take them doing ballads. They just drag on forever. I hate that bum-ka-cha-ba-bum-ka-bum-ka-cha drum rhythm they used all their slow songs.

I know Garth Brooks has sold a kazillion records but I guess he must be one of those phenomenons largely confined to the US? I've never heard anything by him before. This song is a bit pointless.

Ash have a few good tunes but I'm not sure I know this one. It's what I expected from Ash, pretty much. It's nice but I'm not blown away by that.

1979 is a banger. One of those songs that I appreciate more for the sonics rather than it's qualities as a tune, but the sonics are great.

Common Ppl is really good. I've given Pulp a fair shake but never really got into them apart from Common Ppl, Disco 2000 and theothersinglefromthatalbumohmygodIcantrememberwhatitscalledbutIlikeit. But sometimes all you need are a few great singles and Common Ppl definitely ticks that box.

1 hour ago, metalman said:

I know Garth Brooks has sold a kazillion records but I guess he must be one of those phenomenons largely confined to the US? I've never heard anything by him before. This song is a bit pointless.

He's weird because while, yes, he's biggest audience is in the US he sells out arenas and stadiums internationally. I believe he did 4 or 5 nights a couple years back in Dublin, all sellouts. But nevertheless, something like 90% of his album sales have been in the US.

This was the video I went with as my "this is the best I can find for this song" option to listen to that Garth Brooks cover, which did not help my "why is this in here? Is this the actual song?" reaction:

Like, I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if a significant portion of the target audience for this book has never actually heard "Friends in Low Places." Just go with that.

elsewhere, "Kung Fu" is fine but not the Ash representative I would have gone with, I'd have probably done "Goldfinger" or one of the Free All Angels singles, that's a bit more what I like out of them personally.

I was just gonna say I think the only Garth Brooks song I really know is "Friends In Low Places". I like Trisha's cooking show more.

7 hours ago, damshow said:

He's weird because while, yes, he's biggest audience is in the US he sells out arenas and stadiums internationally. I believe he did 4 or 5 nights a couple years back in Dublin, all sellouts. But nevertheless, something like 90% of his album sales have been in the US.

Ah Dublin makes sense because there are a load of Irish people who only listen to US country music (and for some reason only the really crap stuff) and think that makes them cool. It's a weird Irish thing.

15 hours ago, metalman said:

Common Ppl is really good. I've given Pulp a fair shake but never really got into them apart from Common Ppl, Disco 2000 and theothersinglefromthatalbumohmygodIcantrememberwhatitscalledbutIlikeit. But sometimes all you need are a few great singles and Common Ppl definitely ticks that box.

Sorted for E's and Wizz? They actually milked that album for singles so it might not even be that.

Ash were pretty much my band in the late 90s, though I probably didn't discover them until after the second album. They're almost a comfort blanket band, there's nothing they've done that I actively dislike but it's less often I'll go back and listen to them actively, though they're a good work soundtrack since it's all so familiar. They're pretty much this side of the pond's Weezer in my head. I do have a real soft spot for Twilight of the Innocents though which I'd regard as one of their latest albums but is probably 15 year old or something by now...

Tim Wheeler's Christmas album is quite good too so he's had some play this month.

6 hours ago, metalman said:

Ah Dublin makes sense because there are a load of Irish people who only listen to US country music (and for some reason only the really crap stuff) and think that makes them cool. It's a weird Irish thing.

Yep. Country music is bloody huge among a rural irish folk. (Especially in the North, it seems). There is a whole genre of music called Country and Irish

Which evovled, I think from Ireland's 50s-70s Showband era. Showband music was/is this mixing of American country, rock 'n' roll, Irish traditional music. That is really what Country and Irish is. Which, for the longest time (as far as I could tell anyway from my father's music collection), was really dominated by men from the Irish midlands doing faux American accents. Although more recently there's been a boom in younger artists. There are entire satelite TV channels dedicated to this stuff. It's awfully cringe. However it draws in huge crowds of people.

14 hours ago, damshow said:

Garth Brooks DIDN'T play in Dublin a few years ago. He did sell out but Dublin City council refused to grant a liscence for 5 concerts so he pulled out. I cannot under estimate how big this was as a newstory here. I also vividly recall the bewilderment of Dubliners on Twitter who just didn't realize the immense awakening of Garth Brooks fans from the country.

As I grew up in rural Ireland, I witnessed first hand the Garth Brooks craze of the mid90s. It was hell. Check shirts and line dancing and cowboy hats were everywhere. I was somewhat draw into it when I was younger but, honestly, grew to just not care about his music. 

Now, I unironcially think the Chris Gaines stuff is the best music he ever made. It's fairly meh pop rock with Brooks attempting to be Prince (I guess?)

• Like 2

When I was in second year at university we always used to go to this Irish student’s flat on a Friday night because she lived in a handy location for going out after and oh my god, the pre-drinking combined with Jason Aldean and Rascal Flatts and all that shit playing in the background has pretty much scarred me for life.

When I was in second year at university we always used to go to this Irish student’s flat on a Friday night because she lived in a handy location for going out after and oh my god, the pre-drinking combined with Jason Aldean and Rascal Flatts and all that shit playing in the background has pretty much scarred me for life.

please accept an official appology on behalf of the Irish people

• Thanks 1

My Friday and Saturdays from high school to settling down with my lady involved far, far too many people like this. You had it easy.

15 minutes ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Is it because you've got friends in low places?

perhaps it's because he ain't goin' down till the sun comes up.

• Like 1