They made a Fallout TV series

SeanDMan

4 hours ago, Ollie said:

Hey Sean, word to the wise. If you liked a franchise and then didn't like the direction it took, it's okay to not follow that franchise anymore.

That is a perspective.

Fallout to me is like the sports team I grew up watching. It has some great runs, some very lean years, but no matter what, I am always going to follow it, good or bad.

There has been some good and bad since Bethesda took over Fallout. The Pitt was great, so was New Vegas. But there has been some very very bad too. Like Kid In A Fridge. And Mothership Zeta. I don't trust the creative genius of Todd Howard very far at all.

Really though, that was a foregone conclusion, that he would be involved. But I didn't anticipate Nolan and Joy getting attached to the project. That bit is what I am more skeptical about. I loved Season 1 of Westworld, it was well paced and satisfying. So if the news had come out then, I might actually be more optimistic. But that was before Season Two of Westworld which limped along, a sad shell of what it used to be.

But hey; if it turns out to be good, I will gladly eat my words. Getting good Fallout stuff is better imo than getting bad Fallout stuff.

To me though this seems like yoir favourite sports team comes out and says "this is going to be the year" and then installs Mr. Blobby as manager.

55 minutes ago, tristy said:

Didn't they sign on as showrunners for 3 more seasons of Westworld though?

When their Amazon deal was announced it would allow them to go up to 6 total seasons of it but Nolan seemed to back off on the idea that they have a specific amount of seasons in mind so they may be looking to wrap it up sooner than later. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Necrobump because the show is finally out. Might as well use this thread so we can contrast people's optimism from the original announcement vs the finished product. Maybe a name change is in order? (They made a Fallout TV series)

I haven't been keeping up on this whilst it's been in production or even in the pre-release hype outside of that one trailer with the vault dweller running into the ghoul before giving him a white meat babyface talk on doing the right thing. I was absolutely on board with that, the juxtaposition of this naive to the world character setting out into the outside world and experiencing all the nasties it harboured. Just got done with the opening episode and it does immediately hit you with the grim reality of the situation which resets the tone somewhat. I've only played 3 and 4, which I imagine is what they're going to draw heavily from, but the scenes in which they established the vault dwellers motivations felt like they perfectly captured the feeling of the equivalent moment from the games. Even something like the moment she steps out into the world for the first time and see's a ferris wheel on the horizon immediately evoked a feeling in me of doing the same thing and seeing some landmark in the distance and wanting to go explore.

As far as I'm aware the 8 episodes that have dropped today make up the entirity of the season and they've gained pretty good feedback so far.

• Like 1

I was able to binge the series since some people decided to stream it on Twitch and caught a good 80-90% of it.

It does a great job of representing the feel of both the world and the games, there is enough there that you don't need to have any knowlage of the games, and if you know the games you'll get the references, I do like how they were able to translate the morality and moral choices you get in the games into the show and still keep the grey "is this the "right" thing to do" feeling. I also like how they are able to tell the pre-war story through the ghoul's past.

I just hope a second season is on the books, while not confirmed, it has been leaked that Fallout is on a list that has been granted qualified expenditures by California Film Commission to film there.

• Like 2

• C-MIL changed the title to They made a Fallout TV series

Didn't take long for people to find lore continuity errors.

Spoiler

The show has the fall of Shady Sands starting in 2277, even though Shady Sands is referenced in New Vegas which starts in 2281.

It would make more sence to set the fall of Shady Sands after New Vegas since it could play into one of the results of the endings of New Vegas, currently there is a 4 year window of things being fine and its fall.

Watched the first three episodes tonight with my wife, and we loved all of them. Loving the tone of the series, it FEELS like Fallout, which I was worried it wouldn't hit.

• Like 3

I watched the first episode tonight and I loved it.

And Walton Goggins face when

Spoiler

He saw the bombs were going off

was great.  So much emotion expressed without saying a word

The Fallout TV Series Is Fun, But It Really Wants You To Know That It’s Fallout

Spoilers.  This is an interesting article, because it argues you kind of have to know about the Fallout series to understand the Fallout show

• Like 2

As a Fallout fan desperately wanting it to be good, It delivered in a way I didn't imagine possible for a Video Game adaptation show.

In short: This show fucking slaps.

The set-up for an inevitable season 2 gave me genuine chills.

The one non-spoileriffic thing I'll mention in here, I'm enjoying everyone in the wasteland just being a dick 😂

• Like 2

I watched the first two episodes. It seems fun so far. While it probably won't be one of my absolute favourite programmes, my expectations were low enough that it's likely to be a significantly pleasant surprise.

• Like 1

I went to the premier last week. It was dope. I got cool pins and a set of perk cards.

PXL_20240404_165723499.jpg

The entrance was through an actual vault, and everyone who worked there were in vault 33 jump suits. I got a bunch of free beer that came served in blue pint glasses, a hot dog that was cold, popcorn and sealed metal bottles of vault-tec verified purified water.

PXL_20240404_172452167.jpg

Then I got to watch the first two episodes on a giant cinema screen in a room that was decorated to look like Vault 33 with all the corn and stuff. Harry from The Traitors was sitting in front of me, and Demi from Love Island was in the next row. Also Jonathan Ross was there, but I think we can all agree that that's not as exciting as Harry from The Traitors or Demi from Love Island.

PXL_20240404_172957799.jpg

Afterwards there was a Q&A with Jonathan Nolan, Todd Howard, one of the writers, Ella Purnell who plays Lucy (she's lovely :wub:), Aaron Moten who plays Maximus, Walton Goggins who is Walton Goggins and Kyle MacLachlan who played Zack Carey in seminal 90s sexathon Showgirls.

PXL_20240404_202310298.jpg

It was rad. I'd fully recommend going to premiers because you don't have to pay for anything and you get a bunch of free shit. My wife was blown away by how short Todd Howard was.

• Like 11

20 hours ago, probablyoliver said:

It was rad.

There's a cure that will that that away.

• Like 4

I’ve found it addictive and binge watched the series, I really liked it. They could have made a much better trailer for it to be honest. The show captures the bleakness of the world including with dark humour. Characters and cast are great, liked reference to Sergio Leone films. The ending delivers and I can’t wait for the second series.

Episode 4 spoiler:

Spoiler

Matt Berry as Codsworth!!

I don't think this is a spoiler to say but better safe than sorry

Spoiler

I wasn't too interested in Max when the season started but by the end of the season I thought he ended up being one of the more interesting characters. Everyone else was awesome from the start but I grew to care about Max too

• Like 1