Your Team's All-Time Best Squad (Post-1992)

Naitch

I'm interested to see where decent level journeymen like Craig Bellamy or James Milner end up. Quite interesting that both have done Man City and Liverpool, but would they make either of those teams? Milner hasn't made Jam's Leeds team, so Villa might be the shout.

Milner is a very interesting one as I don't even think of him as  former Leeds or Newcastle player, only Villa, Man City, and Liverpool spring to mind for him.

Bellamy should probably be at Norwich or Cardiff if he doesn't make the Newcastle team.

12 hours ago, metalman said:

Obviously you all came here to see the Kilmarnock team, so here you go:

Goalkeepers: Gordon Marshall, Cammy Bell, Dragoje Lekovic

Defenders: Frederic Dindeleux, Ray Montgomerie, Gus MacPherson, Gordon Greer, Stuart Findlay, Manuel Pascali, Stephen O'Donnell, Garry Hay, James Fowler

Midfielders: Ian Durrant, Andy McLaren, Gary Holt, Gary Dicker, Ally Mitchell, Chris Burke, Craig Bryson, Mehdi Taouil, Alexei Eremenko

Strikers: Ally McCoist, Paul Wright, Kris Boyd, Christophe Cocard, Steven Naismith

Not sure I'd class McCoist as one of our all-time best.  I'd probably be looking at Colin Nish or Paul Heffernan for that final striker position.  Jerome Vareille would also be up there but probably didn't score enough goals.  Everything else I'd agree with though.  

• Like 1

Yeah, McCoist wasn’t great, but come on, it’s Ally McCoist. Heffernan and Nish are reasonable contenders for his position, but in reality once you take away Boyd, Naismith and Wright we’ve kind of struggled for reliable goalscorers over this period. It’s been the one consistent weakness, whereas at the other end of the pitch we’ve pretty much always had a good goalkeeper. Maybe with the exception of the season where Meldrum was first choice...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Colly said:

I'm interested to see where decent level journeymen like Craig Bellamy or James Milner end up. Quite interesting that both have done Man City and Liverpool, but would they make either of those teams? Milner hasn't made Jam's Leeds team, so Villa might be the shout.

I love Milner. I feel like centre mid is probably one of the hardest areas I struggled with when it came to Liverpool. 

Bellamy I feel Blackburn would be the best bet. He had his best returns in that on season. The problem hes had is he's had two one season spells with us, season spells with other teams and really the longest spell he had was with Newcastle. 

I’ve found the other lists interesting, and while I don’t have the same insight as fans of the teams themselves, there are a few omissions I find peculiar. The one that jumps right out at me is the presence of John Obi Mikel in the Chelsea team but no Claude Makelele.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Seeing the mighty Paul Heffernan mentioned makes me happy. What a player he was.

I doubt you want a Donny one, but I can try an alternative Everton to @Troy and see how different it is! I might have a couple more 90s players in for instance, including Big Nev.

20 minutes ago, metalman said:

I’ve found the other lists interesting, and while I don’t have the same insight as fans of the teams themselves, there are a few omissions I find peculiar. The one that jumps right out at me is the presence of John Obi Mikel in the Chelsea team but no Claude Makelele.

The lad had his own thing named after him when everyone wanted a player to play the Makelele role.

48 minutes ago, Adam said:

Seeing the mighty Paul Heffernan mentioned makes me happy. What a player he was.

I doubt you want a Donny one, but I can try an alternative Everton to @Troy and see how different it is! I might have a couple more 90s players in for instance, including Big Nev.

That's not a bad shout, given my earliest Everton memories are from around 2002/03 :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidMarrio said:

I love Milner. I feel like centre mid is probably one of the hardest areas I struggled with when it came to Liverpool. 

Bellamy I feel Blackburn would be the best bet. He had his best returns in that on season. The problem hes had is he's had two one season spells with us, season spells with other teams and really the longest spell he had was with Newcastle. 

Not that I have done a squad yet but I wouldn't really include Bellamy for us given it was just one, great, season.

1 hour ago, metalman said:

That was because I was expecting Makelele to make the Real Madrid team, whereas Mikel wouldn't fit anywhere other than Chelsea. Turns out I was wrong and the database creator did intend to put Makelele at Chelsea, but this was my team (based on the rules provided) so I left it that way, and left Pedro in even though he'll most likely be in the Barca side. Makelele would 100% be in the side if it were an all-time Chelsea team in isolation.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I'll join in the Paul Heffernan appreciation group. I was gutted when he left Notts County. It was obviously going to happen, though, given that the club was in dire financial straits and had just been relegated. They also had to let youth graduate David McGoldrick go at a similar time, and he's done OK for himself since.

• Like 1

Okay, so here's my stab at Everton with more of a slant on the early years of the Premier League to complement Troy's offering:

GK: Neville Southall, Paul Gerrard, Tim Howard

DEF: Leighton Baines, David Unsworth, David Weir, Joseph Yobo, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Sylvain Distin, Dave Watson, Seamus Coleman

MID: Mikel Arteta, Tim Cahill, Thomas Gravesen, Leon Osman, Phil Neville, Marouane Fellaini, Andrei Kanchelskis, Stephen Pienaar, Anders Limpar

FWD: Kevin Campbell, Paul Rideout, Duncan Ferguson, Romelu Lukaku

First Reserves: Jordan Pickford (GK), Steve Watson (DEF),  Lee Carsley (MID), Yakubu (FWD)

I didn't pick Wayne Rooney because surely he'll be in the Man United team? Nigel Martyn should be in either the Leeds or Palace teams if there's any sense, and players like Gary Speed and Graham Stuart are better linked with other teams too.

1 hour ago, 9 to 5 said:

Not that I have done a squad yet but I wouldn't really include Bellamy for us given it was just one, great, season.

That's what I mean he doesn't really fit anywhere as I think there's players more suited to Blackburn because of the Prem winning team and the 2002 League Cup winning team. Then you have the likes of Petersen etc. 

I don't think you can really put Bellamy in any squad but his most prolific season would be that one he had with Blackburn. 

I think you can justifiably put Bellamy in either the Norwich or Cardiff squads, probably Cardiff since they have only spent a couple of seasons at the top level and he was there for some of that, so there won't be tonnes of better players to keep him out.

• Like 1

I was hoping one of my fellow Spurs contingent would make the first move because I was struggling to cut it down, but here we go...

GK

Hugo Lloris
Ian Walker
Paul Robinson

DEF

Jan Vertonghen
Kyle Walker
Danny Rose
Toby Alderweireld
Ledley King
Stephen Carr
Michael Dawson
Christian Ziege
Gary Mabbutt

(Justin Edinburgh missed out as I really wanted Mabbutt, and Ziege was always a personal favourite of mine. There was another England centre back we had for a while, but I don't recall his name or what happened to him.)

MID

David Ginola
Rafael van der Vaart
Christian Eriksen
Luka Modric
Gareth Bale
Darren Anderton
Son-Hueng Min
Dele Alli

(Would have Davids had he been around longer, would have been Carrick if I didn't think he was a Man Utd certainty)

FWD

Jurgen Klinsmann
Dimitar Berbatov
Harry Kane
Teddy Sheringham
Jermaine Defoe

(It was a toss-up between Defoe and Robbie Keane, but Keane has about 13 other clubs he can represent.)

Good luck picking an eleven from that.