General Gaming Thread - 2022

RPS

9 minutes ago, Brandon Cutler But Xmas-sy said:

I saw that had finally been ported to PlayStation recently, might pick it up in the new year.

do playstation controllers have gyroscopic aiming? I'm really taking advantage of that on the switch. Not sure I could do it with twin sticks

I've just finished Yakzua Kiwami 2:

Spoiler

My, what a lot of twists and turns. I'm the final boss and puppet master! No, I'M not dead, and the final boss and puppet master! No, I'M the puppet master but I'm going to get shot before you fight me! No,I'M going to do a face turn despite not being the puppet master but will be the final boss! The actual ending itself was a bit of a cop out but you can't just kill off the main protagonist I guess.

Time for Yakuza 3, which I guess is the first outside the engine made for Yakuza 0. What are the biggest changes?

@Chris2K, the biggest thing you'll run into with Y3 is that it's the roughest game of them all. It was the first step away from the PS2 games and had a bunch of quality of life changes for its time, but it's also the oldest title that hasn't been given a glow up in the form of a Kiwami game. So it's very... uneven and rough.

Also it probably has the most bullshit fight AI in any of the games, like having to fight peak Shao Khan with every boss battle, getting blocked constantly and then walloped with mega moves. It'll test your patience, and taking a lower difficulty is not an excessive luxury.

Everything combined makes Yakuza 3 a weird middle child compared to all the other games. Yakuza 4 in turn is the first one that feels modern in terms of how it plays, all the different fighting styles and the mix of playable protagonists, it's arguably the point where the franchise really was at its best.

Also in my opinion, Yakuza 3 probably has the weakest story, but on the positive side most of the early game takes place outside of Kamurocho in a new area that hasn't been present in 0-YK2, so that'll be a breath of fresh air.

• Thanks 1

Well my initial reactions are:

1. Kiryu's shoulders are now approximately ten feet wide.

2. Kauro's an entirely different person based on her face.

3. Every cut-scene looks like a PS2 Tekken ending.

This might take some time to get used to...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The combination of the graphics (particularly the movement animations) and the lack of features feels like going from playing GTA5 to GTA3. It's really off-putting, and this parent simulator opening is not helping.

I'm stick with it though, got to get through them all before I allow myself to play Like A Dragon again...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

The combination of the graphics (particularly the movement animations) and the lack of features feels like going from playing GTA5 to GTA3. It's really off-putting, and this parent simulator opening is not helping.

I'm stick with it though, got to get through them all before I allow myself to play Like A Dragon again...

Yeah, it's sadly the worst in the series. If possible, I'd turn down the difficulty and speed through it. I think I skipped a lot of the side stories in this one

• Like 1

47% of my Steam gaming time in 2022 was Civ 6. More diversification needed, I think. 😅

(Luckily I have just started playing FF14... And will be playing P3P after it's January release. So that will help.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 29/12/2022 at 09:47, Baddar said:

I'm almost 2 years late, but It Takes Two is an absolute must play with a loved one/friend. Can be done via couch co-op or online.

we played it on PC but decided to wait until it came out on switch, which i just realised it has. Gonna go pick it up, cheers.

• Like 1

• RPS locked this topic